Credit Cards

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I ma thinking about getting a credit card. I need to build my credit and it would be nice to have one for emergencies. Who do you have yours through and what is your APR?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had to go look at a statement to find out

We have a personal credit card through our bank with a APR of 16.99%

Then two business credit cards (one AmEx and one through our bank) both at 15.99%

We don't use them enough to worry about the APR really as most of the stuff put on there is just for the purpose of airmiles etc and paid off at the end of the month

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a Visa thru our bank and a Sear CC we got when we bought out washer/dryer and just recently a Macy's CC-we don't need three so we should really close the Sears one for sure. Don't know rates as we pay in full monthly (oops the bank card apr is 12.15 I looked it up). I know there is a website out there that lists the low APR rates on CC (not teaser rates).

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had my visa for 7 years I got it when I started college my APR is about 16% and I do only use mine in emergencies I have a $1000 limit on it and barely ever run anything past $300 (prescriptions, gas and things) I only use it if i'm not sure I have that much money in the bank but normally I pay it off within a month so I don't get charged much interest.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Visa one that has an APR of !5.99% - 18% (right now its the lower APR though).

I also signed up with American Express last October because they gave me 0% APR for the first 15 months. After that it will be 12.5%

Once I get that AMEX card pay off I'll probably use it as the main credit card since I can earn reward points on top of that. Plus an old college friend (who is now a cop) swears by American Express when it comes to Identity Theft. She says that of all the CC companies, AMEX is the best to prevent ID theft.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only use cc's for purchases, like if I'm going to subway for lunch I even use a cc. I pay them off 100% every month though. I just do it for convenience of not having to carry cash. I have a Cap1 Platinum Mastercard I think the APR is like 15.99% or something and a student visa which was my first cc in college and it has like a 22.99% lol, but again, I don't do balances so I don't care.

I also have a few store cc's because of discounts received.. Like the limited brands offer monthly coupons and specials to cardholders so i use those only for those percs..

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Ok I ma thinking about getting a credit card. I need to build my credit and it would be nice to have one for emergencies. Who do you have yours through and what is your APR?
If you've never had a credit card before you may have trouble getting one to start with. Here are some options for you: 1. Go local. A local bank that knows you is far more likely to extend you credit. 2. Try a Secured Card. You may have to put down a $500.00 to $1000.00 deposit, but it's worth it. 3. You may want to try a line of credit first. This is where you finance something and then pay it off. Try a furniture store. They are great for giving lines of credit for a couch and letting you pay it off. That's one of the best ways to build credit.

I used to work for a major credit card company, and I handle a lot of credit information with my current job so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

loreye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got a credit card a few weeks ago. Haven't even gotten my first bill yet.

It took me forever to get one. I applied a couple times through my bank of 6 years, and each time they turned me down. Then, I went to DH's bank to set up a joint savings account and they said "Now, Mr.X we can't approve you for a Visa, but Ms. X, would you like one?"

It's so ridiculous, but at least now I have something good to show on my credit. Now maybe I'll get approved for that bedroom set I want

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do have difficulties getting one, the easiest way is to get a co-signer, someone who already has established credit.

It does amaze me though...when you turn 18 you have all sorts of credit card options...but you wait a few years and then you have go through hoops.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

If you've never had a credit card before you may have trouble getting one to start with. Here are some options for you: 1. Go local. A local bank that knows you is far more likely to extend you credit. 2. Try a Secured Card. You may have to put down a $500.00 to $1000.00 deposit, but it's worth it. 3. You may want to try a line of credit first. This is where you finance something and then pay it off. Try a furniture store. They are great for giving lines of credit for a couch and letting you pay it off. That's one of the best ways to build credit.

I used to work for a major credit card company, and I handle a lot of credit information with my current job so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
I have a secured card and I only had to pay $75 to get it. It has a $300 limit on it and that is a good amount for me. Mine is with capital one.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

If you do have difficulties getting one, the easiest way is to get a co-signer, someone who already has established credit.

It does amaze me though...when you turn 18 you have all sorts of credit card options...but you wait a few years and then you have go through hoops.
Keep in mind with a co-signer that you both share responsibility for the card, so if he or she wants to go charge up the limit they can. I've seen people get burned co-signing on credit cards for other people. It can be a huge mess.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I have a secured card and I only had to pay $75 to get it. It has a $300 limit on it and that is a good amount for me. Mine is with capital one.
That's cool... where I used to work the deposit was so high it wasn't even worth it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've had a VISA card for decades, as it seems to be the most widely accepted worldwide. I hate to say it, but I have no idea what the APR is, because I use my VISA card like a debit card, meaning I (almost) always maintain a credit balance on it, and get between 3.5% and 3.9% interest on the balance. I've found that I get a better exchange rate when using it to make payments or withdraw cash from an ATM abroad than I do with my Maestro debit card, too.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have discover and a chase credit card. No other cards. I have a high APR like 19%. I never put anything on it that I can't pay for. I am just trying to build up history also. I will look for lower percents soon.
BTW, Capital One is who I started out with and they are very reliable and one of the better companies who will give you a credit card if you have never had one. I loved them. They don't bother you with ads either. I would try them.