Cat spills water while drinking

twocatsperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats can't drink properly. The water sprinkles in all directions when she drinks. It takes her long time to drink enough water. I tried different types of cups, different height but nothing seems to help. I do not mind to wipe the water but it gets in her eyes and she already got eye infections several times because she tries to clean her face with sometimes not that clean paws. I doubt it is possible to do something with her drinking disability but wonder if anyone ever observed the same.... Could you please share if so?

Thank you

cercia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you should ask the vet about it. If the cat doesn't know how to drink properly, you could always give it some wet food or a very small amount of water..?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twocatsperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Couple of vets I asked just shrugged. I have two cats and I cannot limit the water for one and not another. They also get really thirsty after chasing each other and playing...

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How strange. I was going to suggest to try different plates or bowls but looks like you already tried that. Maybe you can get her some kitty goggles
Kidding.. sorry. My cats spill water all over the place too when they drink but it doesnt seem to ever get in their eyes.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twocatsperson

One of my cats can't drink properly. The water sprinkles in all directions when she drinks. It takes her long time to drink enough water. I tried different types of cups, different height but nothing seems to help. I do not mind to wipe the water but it gets in her eyes and she already got eye infections several times because she tries to clean her face with sometimes not that clean paws. I doubt it is possible to do something with her drinking disability but wonder if anyone ever observed the same.... Could you please share if so?

Thank you
My two cats share the same food tray but have different water dishes. Persi has a lot more hair on his face so he only likes to drink out of shallow containers whereas Alley drinks from a deeper bowl. When Persi was trying to drink out of a deeper bowl he would tend to fling water around with his facial hair. So, even though you have mentioned trying different size bowls, I was just wondering how long the hair is on the cat that is having the problem.

twocatsperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

My two cats share the same food tray but have different water dishes. Persi has a lot more hair on his face so he only likes to drink out of shallow containers whereas Alley drinks from a deeper bowl. When Persi was trying to drink out of a deeper bowl he would tend to fling water around with his facial hair. So, even though you have mentioned trying different size bowls, I was just wondering how long the hair is on the cat that is having the problem.
she is a short hair... When she drinks the water showers in her direction primarily and what misses lands on the floor.

One of my theories is that they took her from her mother too early since she can't do many things right, including covering her stuff in the litter box. So maybe she missed those lessons that kittens get from their parent...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This doesn't actually address your problem (for which I don't have any suggestions
), but are you sure that it takes her longer to drink water?

Is it perhaps that she's drinking more water than your other kitty(ies)? I know you've asked the vet about her water drinking disability - but was she tested for diabetes? I don't know if you have motor skill problems if you've got untreated diabetes - but I do know you're more prone to infection (at least people are - so I imagine it's the same in a cat).

Seems like if she hasn't already been tested for diabetes, it is something you should seriously consider.

Laurie

twocatsperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did check and they didn't find diabetes or any major problems....

Here is my sweet Mani with her face all wet after drinking
:

I love her so much. She went such a long way from being angry, scared, and unsocial kitty to the most affectionate and loving creature.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad it's not something like that - and that you've already checked!

Have you tried a drinking fountain? We use Drinkwell fountains. They have a "pour spout" that makes like a little water fall. Maybe drinking from a thin stream of water would help?

Laurie

twocatsperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

BTW - I forgot to mention that she is BEAUTIFUL - even with sprinkles of water on her face!
(What a great photo!)

Laurie
Thank you, Laurie! It is very sweet of you to say.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you do try the Drinkwell fountain (Petmate makes one, but it's just water running down a slope. It's a possibility that could work too - but our kitties all just drank out of the "bowl" part of the petmate, kind of making it moot that it was a fountain), please let us know how it goes!

Laurie

twocatsperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I will definitely order it soon and hopefully I will have a good news to report. Mani just got an eye infection again
She really hates the eye medicine

firebirdmagic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Orion takes one of his little rat toys and puts it in the communal water dish all of the time. I asked the vet about it, and he said it's conceptual. Orion does it so he can see something floating and he can adjust to the level of the water. Instinctually he paws the water to clear scum first, then tries to see how high the water is. He then goes gets his toy, watches it float, and drinks from the side of the bowl. So try that, see if it helps. Mike, Medford, Oregon...

twocatsperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat is a genius. I will try to find some little plastic object and see if it works. What your cat does makes total sense to me. There is a chance that might work....

firebirdmagic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The little cloth mice that float are the only thing he puts in there besides occasional dry food piece (only one piece) and I don't know if that floats or not...gotta ask him, but he's currently asleep on the top of my printer...hmmmm Mike Medford ore

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fountain is a good idea. Also, does she eat wet food? If not, feeding wet food should lessen the amount of water that she will have to drink to stay hydrated.