Stinky coat - help

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miss Moofs has just come in and her coast stinks of male spray
I can smell it everywhere she goes !

How the hell can I clean it off her.............

I am also a little confused about where shes been to get all smelly its on her back, she must have been rolling in it

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try using the bath wipes from the pet store. Or you could give her a bath. I'd use Dawn dishwashing liquid and follow up with a cat shampoo and rinse with a tub of water with 3 tablespoons of vinegar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I´ve only bathed a cat once, many years ago now and he had fallen in a muddy ditch, so he was very happy to be bathed.
I´ve nipped up to our vets and guess what - they´ve sold out of the wipes
........ .....I dont know what Dawn dishwashing liquid is
I only have that antibac stuff, so think that will be way to strong for her skin.......any other thoughts, would water with a bit of vinegar in do the job ? I could use a cotton tea-towel to damp her down with it ??
Thanks

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mooficat (sorry your name for some insane reason has slipped my mind!
),

bathing a cat isn't that hard really!!! I promise!!!
If you can get your hands on Baby Johnson Shampoo with Honey and wheatgerm you're good to go! Just follow instructions on previous threads on cat bathing and you'll be fine!
Or else drop me a pm and I'll direct you point by point!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

I´ve only bathed a cat once, many years ago now and he had fallen in a muddy ditch, so he was very happy to be bathed.
I´ve nipped up to our vets and guess what - they´ve sold out of the wipes
........ .....I dont know what Dawn dishwashing liquid is
I only have that antibac stuff, so think that will be way to strong for her skin.......any other thoughts, would water with a bit of vinegar in do the job ? I could use a cotton tea-towel to damp her down with it ??
Thanks
50/50 vinegar and water might help. I've never used it directly on the cat, but I have used it for that smell.

She probably won't find any more Valentine's dates smelling like vinegar, though

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use some normal high quality people shampoo and conditioner. Is your cat spayed? Sounds like some tom cat sprayed on her or was trying to mate.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would use some normal high quality people shampoo and conditioner. Is your cat spayed? Sounds like some tom cat sprayed on her or was trying to mate.
I am really afraid to bath her - shes a bit of a 'Raptor' cat at the best of times, so I would like to just wipe her down.....think I´m gonna try the diluted vinegar thing.......I cant stand it much longer

and - yeah she is spayed, so I havent got a clue whats shes been up to

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know if it'll help but there are DRY Shampoos available. But then, it may make the smell even worse!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a few threads in here about how to bath a cat - I've posted to many of them on the steps. Its not that hard to do, and IMO wiping her down on the surface of the coat will NOT get her really clean.

You will have to bathe her or ask someone to help you do it. And I'd keep her inside

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks all, I´ve managed to wipe her down a few times now and its all but gone !

Keep her inside
blood would be spilled, there would be pain and hurt and lots of trouble
our happy house would be no more - all my kits are indoor/outdoor and I like it like that thanks !

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Well if you want to allow them outside time, then you really should be prepared to do periodic washing
You never know what they will roll in outside