Caught our first feral!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We set a trap for the first time tonight and within 10 minutes of setting it caught our first feral!!!! A little orange guy who've I've seen around a number of times. He's very timid and I think is definitely feral.

When we were setting the trap he was watching us cautiously, and ran away when I made eye contact with him. But at the same time, a little grey kitty was watching me and actually came towards us. This little thing wouldn't have been more then a few months old - it certainly looked smaller than our Smudge who's 6 months old.

So I think the catching part will be pretty easy at least for a little while.

This little guy gets neutered tomorrow, then will stay at the house of the other lady involved with this, then will get released on Thursday night.

So
for the start of the TNR program!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

We set a trap for the first time tonight and within 10 minutes of setting it caught our first feral!!!! A little orange guy who've I've seen around a number of times. He's very timid and I think is definitely feral.

When we were setting the trap he was watching us cautiously, and ran away when I made eye contact with him. But at the same time, a little grey kitty was watching me and actually came towards us. This little thing wouldn't have been more then a few months old - it certainly looked smaller than our Smudge who's 6 months old.

So I think the catching part will be pretty easy at least for a little while.

This little guy gets neutered tomorrow, then will stay at the house of the other lady involved with this, then will get released on Thursday night.

So
for the start of the TNR program!
Congratulations!!!!

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The little guy isn't with me, but I'll probably pick him up this afternoon. I'll only take photos if he's not too stressed out - last night when he was caught he was bouncing around in the cage pretty freaked out and unhappy with the whole situation.

I'll let you know!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good job!

Have you possibility to take in and foster those who apparently are fairly easy to foster into tame homecats?

This little gray could be a candidate: him being both young and trying to approach you.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they're semi-socialized, the shelter will keep them to rehome.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

Congrats on your little ginger catch

Well done

You just tickled me when you said this.....Don't count your chickens before they
hatch
Thats all I'm saying
I know
But there is a bunch of hungry looking kittens around, so hopefully catching them will be relatively easy.

I don't think I mentioned it here, but the little guy got called Valentino because he got neutered on Valentine's Day

We're releasing little Valentino tonight so hopefully he'll tell his little kitty friends we're not that bad...

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people

I know
But there is a bunch of hungry looking kittens around, so hopefully catching them will be relatively easy.

I don't think I mentioned it here, but the little guy got called Valentino because he got neutered on Valentine's Day

We're releasing little Valentino tonight so hopefully he'll tell his little kitty friends we're not that bad...
Aw Valentino....thats a lovely name for him

Sending lots of good luck and happy trapping vibes

Originally Posted by LDG

C'mon Valentino - tell your friends it's worth it!
Go tell 'em all Valentino!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Valentino is now free and running around with his little friends again

As well as that we got funding from work for the spay/neuter/vaccinations, so much that we'll probably have more money than we need!!!

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people

Valentino is now free and running around with his little friends again

As well as that we got funding from work for the spay/neuter/vaccinations, so much that we'll probably have more money than we need!!!
Oh Thats brilliant
Run free Valentino and be happy

Hey thats great you might have more funding than you need
Do you have little shelters for them?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What do you mean by little shelters?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

What do you mean by little shelters?
it is quite common cat rescuers uses small houses/shelters. Think of dog houses.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are the shelters for recovery or for where the colony is based so they have somewhere safe and warm?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooooh I'm trapping tonight myself for the first time!

I have:

Trap
Food
Food container
Cardboard lining for the bottom of the trap entrance
Dark blanket for covering the trap
Tarp for the car to protect from "kitty accidents"

Anything else I've forgotten?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It all went fabulous!!! It's a relatively well lit area at night, and incredibly safe. It's at my work and there's always security guards around. I was going to put some tuna and tuna juice down near the trap as well to lure her in, but forgot. It worked still

Apparently someone is trapping nearby and she's been trying to get this girl for a couple of years now! There's a big ginger tom apparently, and this tortie girl, and lots and lots of younger ginger and tortie's around thanks to them! The ginger tom has been done, and now the tortie girl has been done, so that's fantastic!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Sarah - what wonderful, wonderful news!

You are doing SO well. I'm just beaming for you - and the kitties.

AND you caught the elusive Tortie! You GO girl! (And potentially "girls," right?
)

Laurie