News about Mixy!

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even though they told me that there were no calcelations for a spay, they just called me to put off Mixy's spay until March because the vet was going out of town!!
I explained that she may already be pregnant so they DID find an opening for this Thursday!
They did say that it's risky because she is still nursing.
How bad can it be? Could it be serious if she gets an infection?
I am now more worried!
Angie

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the kittens are what 6 weeks now ? have they started to ween yet ? if they have then the kittens should be fine. maybe because she still has milk the vet might be able to open her up on her side? discuss this with your vet , least that way if the kittens do still try and nurse it wont be to painfull for her , and less likely to rip her stitchs open or for it to become infected.
i know some vets will give an antibiotic after the spay just to be on the safe side , again talk with your vet and see what he thinks will be best.
i hope everything goes well and keep us updated.

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I would try to relax. It is more risky for her to continue a possible pregnancy this close to already having a litter than be spayed while she is nursing, IMHO.

I am really, really glad you were able to move her spay appt up. Try to remember, many, many cats have c-sections/spays and then nurse and heal with zero problems.

Good luck to you and Mixy! Keep us updated!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by angier106

Even though they told me that there were no calcelations for a spay, they just called me to put off Mixy's spay until March because the vet was going out of town!!
I explained that she may already be pregnant so they DID find an opening for this Thursday!
They did say that it's risky because she is still nursing.
How bad can it be? Could it be serious if she gets an infection?
I am now more worried!
Angie
Angie...I think you have made the right decision and we have had individuals who have had their cats spayed and can still nurse. The most important thing is that she or the kittens cannot reopen her surgical scar...so keep an eye on her.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
for your encouragement! I know that I should have had her spayed sooner.
I am going to try and get the kitty to start to eat something on his own. There is only one kitty. I have named him Binky. I don't think that I want to give him away anymore! He is adorable.
I will keep you posted.
Angie

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done Angie!

Good decision!

The risk is a tiny bit more than a normal spay - really, it's just a bit more bloody that's all.

You just want to keep a close eye on her after the spay to reduce the risk of infection. Keep her quarantined for at least a week with Binky before you let her roam again.

Well done!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will keep a close eye on her.
Let's hope that the vet does want to do the spay tomorrow.
What worries me is that the receptionist makes a big deal about Mixy still nursing but I trust you all when you tell me that it is Ok to go ahead and do it.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by angier106

I will keep a close eye on her.
Let's hope that the vet does want to do the spay tomorrow.
What worries me is that the receptionist makes a big deal about Mixy still nursing but I trust you all when you tell me that it is Ok to go ahead and do it.
Please let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Katie