Is this a bad idea?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Thursday me and my boyfriend are thinking about buying a 42" widescreen tv. We aren't sure if we should though because I don't have a job right now. My old job still owes me for 113.5 hours of work, which I will get this week. My boyfriend got extra money ($500) from his work this week because he wanted a new tv. Telus has a thing called a dream fund and employees can say what they want $500 for and they will get it. He also gets a bonus on his paycheque in 2 weeks so its not like we will be short on money. This tv is going to cost us $1,247 (the tv is normally almost $1400, thats why we will get it this week while it is on sale) and his paycheque is $1257 and I also get paid this week for all those hours that my old job owes me.

Do you think it would be a bad idea to buy a tv at a time where I don't have a job?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

On Thursday me and my boyfriend are thinking about buying a 42" widescreen tv. We aren't sure if we should though because I don't have a job right now. My old job still owes me for 113.5 hours of work, which I will get this week. My boyfriend got extra money ($500) from his work this week because he wanted a new tv. Telus has a thing called a dream fund and employees can say what they want $500 for and they will get it. He also gets a bonus on his paycheque in 2 weeks so its not like we will be short on money. This tv is going to cost us $1,247 (the tv is normally almost $1400, thats why we will get it this week while it is on sale) and his paycheque is $1257 and I also get paid this week for all those hours that my old job owes me.

Do you think it would be a bad idea to buy a tv at a time where I don't have a job?
Personally, I think that you'd be better off keeping the money in savings and earn interest on it, then once you are working again buy the TV set. It is definitely NOT a necessity.

If, however, you have a month's salary already in the bank as an emergency fund, then do whatever you want.

JMO.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted that its a bad idea. Those tvs go on sale all the time, you'll be able to pick one up once you get a job.

I am hard pressed to buy a damn shirt for $20 on sale when I see one and I HAVE a job.

I would wait, and SAVE your money like Gingersmom said. Wait until you have at least double that and when you have a job, and then think about buying a tv.

globalspot28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. Don't buy it for now. The prices on those things come down anyway.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
42" is one BIG TV. Do you have adequate space?

Is it just the two of you? Would a smaller (and maybe cheaper) one suffice?

Just a few questions you might consider. I, too, think you should be cautious with the money. But as others have said, it's just my opinion.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I voted for don't buy the TV yet, save the money for a little while. I'm sure another one will be on sale again later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

42" is one BIG TV. Do you have adequate space?

Is it just the two of you? Would a smaller (and maybe cheaper) one suffice?

Just a few questions you might consider. I, too, think you should be cautious with the money. But as others have said, it's just my opinion.
We have room for it. We live in a pretty big house. It would just be the two of us watching it for the most part. We were also looking at a tv that was 32" but it really wasn't that much cheaper than the 42".

I think I am going to put off buying the tv for a while though. I would like to look at my bank account and see $2,000 in it rather than like $800. Plus, we need a new car in the next couple of months. Thanks for the advice everyone.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oooh the needing of the car steers me in the same direction as everyone else...still, I know/understand the desire for a larger tv!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, a car is much more important than a t.v. any day of the week and twice on sunday my dear!

Of course, this from a woman who has had her big console t.v. longer than she has had her youngest child...(Alex Jr is 19 now).

As said by several here, those things go on sale often...keep a look out in your newspaper circulars for a good deal.

Good luck!
Hilda >^..^<

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

oooh the needing of the car steers me in the same direction as everyone else...still, I know/understand the desire for a larger tv!
It's not that we just want to get a new tv, ours is broken. Every once in a while it just decides to go darker. It's annoying, but we can deal with it for now.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

We have room for it. We live in a pretty big house. It would just be the two of us watching it for the most part. We were also looking at a tv that was 32" but it really wasn't that much cheaper than the 42".

I think I am going to put off buying the tv for a while though. I would like to look at my bank account and see $2,000 in it rather than like $800. Plus, we need a new car in the next couple of months. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Good idea. It's so nice to see the bank statements with that interest adding up.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda

Oh my, a car is much more important than a t.v. any day of the week and twice on sunday my dear!

Of course, this from a woman who has had her big console t.v. longer than she has had her youngest child...(Alex Jr is 19 now).

As said by several here, those things go on sale often...keep a look out in your newspaper circulars for a good deal.

Good luck!
Hilda >^..^<
I know a car is more important. We have a car right now. It works it just needs a few minor repairs. We are looking at getting a newer car since this one is a 1990 and its standard so I can't drive it. We want to get an automatic.

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally think that saving that money for a nicer car down the road is a better idea. TV's change in price all the time. I say use that money towards a nice new car for the two of you.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And it wouldn't hurt to learn to drive a standard shift. They are cheaper ot buy and if something happens to the transmission they are a lot cheaper to fix!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The TV will not make you feel better.

It is an expensive, feel good fix, that won't last.
You asked....
I say don't buy it.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't understand the desire for a gigantic TV screen. My roomie bought me a new TV for my birthday (mine was going on the blink) and it is a nice Magnavox 20 inch and it only cost $110.

Why not buy yourself a smaller TV at under $200 and save the rest for the car? That way you get what you need. What you really want can come later when you have more in the bank.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

And it wouldn't hurt to learn to drive a standard shift. They are cheaper ot buy and if something happens to the transmission they are a lot cheaper to fix!
I can't drive standard because I have a problem with my left ankle. It cramps up sometimes and I can't move my ankle or foot so if that happened while I was driving I wouldn't be able to change gears.
It drives me crazy sometimes.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I was thinking the same thing.

Plus, you know how VCRs, DVD players and all those gizmos were sooooo expensive when they first came out and now you can find them for much more reasonable prices. If you can do without a big, expensive t.v., maybe you can get yourself something smaller for a better price that you can enjoy and when you've saved up enough to actually be able to afford a big one, then you can move the smaller, less expensive one into your bedroom or a guestroom...something like that.

Hilda >^..^<