Food Experts- Advice Needed Please

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am looking for a quality dry food that is not too rich.

Okay, here is my dilemma. I feed dry food to both of my cats because I cannot get Emily to eat any wet food. Chessy does eat wet food, but he will also eat Emily's dry food because she doesn't eat it all at once.

I used to feed Iams dry until I found out that it wasn't a very good food. They didn't have any problems on Iams, but I wasn't comfortable continuing to feed it. So I have tried Nutro, California Natural (chicken and rice as well as herring and sweet potato), and Natural Balance (venison and green pea). With Nutro, Chessy got diarrhea almost immediately. With the other foods, he gets diarrhea off and on. I have taken him to the vet a couple of times for this and they cannot find anything wrong. They have just given me a medicine which stops the diarrhea temporarily.

So I am thinking that these dry foods I have tried have been to rich for him. I did each transition slowly and tried each one for a couple of months, because I read here that you should try a new food for about 8 weeks. I don't think it could be allergies because each food has had different ingredients. Since the diarrhea is off and on, I don't think it is a major problem. But I don't want Chessy to be in any discomfort and it is pretty smelly!

Sorry this was so long but I wanted to be thorough. Any suggestions on what dry food I should try next? Thank you!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
how old are they???

if over a yr old look at max cat by nutro hairball lower fat and protein but not too low

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emily is 4 and Chessy is 5. Thank you! I knew I could count on you guys!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try the solid gold first as it is lamb chn and fish .... 34% protein 12% fat .... I noted all of the previous were moderate to high fat so

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I would try the solid gold first as it is lamb chn and fish .... 34% protein 12% fat .... I noted all of the previous were moderate to high fat so
Okay. Does the fish content worry you though?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great, thanks again everyone!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on what the difference is between the foods that he's tried. If you think it might be too high in carbs, then try Innova Evo by Natura. It expensive but it's got the lowest carbs in the industry and no grains. It's also got the highest protein.

Other than that, you might try one of the foods for sensitive stomachs. I know Royal Canin makes one, and the little ladies here did wonderfully when they were on it. They also do well on the Purina Pro Plan. They also love Meow Mix.

If it were me, I think I'd try the Innova if I could afford it. I'm probably going to try to switch my hoarde that's are not on raw over to the Innova Evo. They're just such little dry food fiends. :
: They're out to make my life difficult, the little brats.

Anyway, please keep me posted on what ends up working!

~Heather