Calling all Cross Stitchers!!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So from the advice of some fellow members I have picked up cross stitching. I really like it so far but could use some tips from those of you who have been doing it more than 2 days like myself!
I am doing the counted cross stitch of 4 cats with the saying Dogs think they are human, Cats know they are. But I am having sometrouble keeping my place in the pattern. Any tips for this? Any other tips will be great too!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cross/color out all the sections you've done with a coloured pencil. Photocopy the pattern first!!!

Maybe more experience stitchers have better ideas but this works for me just fine!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first start a counted cross stitch, I take sewing thread and mark the center lines - horizontal and vertical - for 4 quandrants. You can then divide those areas if you need to.

Does that help?

Oh, the pattern.
You can do the same with highlighters.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just use a coloured pen and cross out what i have done . i used to have the same trouble and forgetting what i had done lol. but not it goes like clockwork.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely make a copy of the pattern so you can scribble all over it and not ruin the pattern.
I definitely cross off the stitches that I've completed because I have a bad habit of putting down a piece for months before picking it back up (unless it's small), and this makes sure that I know where I am. I personally use a regular pencil so that I don't get distracted with other colors (like highlighters) on the pattern.

This isn't conventional, but being self-taught I just do what works for me.
I pick one color and use one thread in an area. Then I pick another color used in that area and do those stiches, continuing that until I've got that one area completed.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use post-it note to mark my place, you can move them easily and they don't spoil the pattern.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find it's easiest to go left to right, top to bottom thru the pattern. Pick a color and do all of that color within a small section, then change colors and do more. Going in this pattern also helps keep the stitches more uniform.

I found a metal board with a magnet magnifier with a line in the middle of it to place over your pattern. It really helps you keep track of where you are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All these tips are really helpful! Thanks!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I crochet (used to cross-stich when I was little) and I usually use the Post-it method because I don't usually have a copier with me when I start a project.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a magnetic board, (you can buy it from wal-mart. They also have a magnetic ruler to use with it. I use it all the time.

I love to cross-stitch. I probably have about 350 books or so.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do 2 different things somtimes I photocopy and use a pencil to color in the pattern. other times I put the pattern on a magnetic board and use long magnets to keep my line and space on the pattern.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE to cross-stitch but I often get bored with something before I finish it. This thread is making me want to pick my current piece back up however. Its a log cabin sampler with a log cabin for each letter, and mini log cabin quilt blocks as spacers. It has the Bible passage:

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (John 14:1-3)
It's for my brother and his wife when they finish building their house. I better get on the ball thouhg because they're planning to move in in June and its a fairly large piece.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S'been years since I've cross-stitched but I didn't really use any method other than just counting the spaces. However...I think it was because of this that started me having to wear reading glasses.

Hilda >^..^<

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't stiched in a while, but I used to do it regularly. I got my daughter started on it too. My favorite designs are by Teresa Wentzler (sp?) I've never worked up the nerve to actually DO one of her designs, but I love to look and wish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have finished one of the 4 cats! I mis counted a few times but you can't tell really.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I have finished one of the 4 cats! I mis counted a few times but you can't tell really.
That's the nice thing about cross-stitch...you can miscount and no one can really tell!

Good for you!

Hilda >^..^<

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda

S'been years since I've cross-stitched but I didn't really use any method other than just counting the spaces. However...I think it was because of this that started me having to wear reading glasses.

Hilda >^..^<
that's my method, too. but i think the reading glasses are just age, at least in my case!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always been short sighted, now I find if I am doing really fine cross stitch I can see it better if I take my glasses off, which is OK until you look up and the world has disolved into a fuzz.