cat getting picked on

mariaricardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my female cats is getting attacked by another of my female cats. They are 2 year old siblings and are outdoor cats. I have been breaking up the fights and then putting the aggressive cat in a big dog kennel for the night. The picked on cat is the smallest and the best hunter. The behavior has been going on for 2 months. Any suggestions? They are shy around other people, so it would be hard to find a new home for one of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariaricardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes both are spayed. Long ago.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please make sure everything is okay healthwise. A sick kitty is unwelcomed by the healthy ones.
My cats are indoor/outdoor. I've noticed that the best hunters are usually teased out of their prey. Is it possible that the bigger cat is doing just that?
I have two neutered males always at each other's throat. My case is different from yours since it is more of a territorial thing. However, I agree with your time outs for the aggressor. I put mine in the cattery. It really, really helps.

cercia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My advice is, scare the hell out of the bully. Seriously. You do it once, they get afraid to ever do it...at least for a long time. You could try yelling, dousing with water or chasing it. But you have to do it the moment you see the cats fighting.

mariaricardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off, Yayi, I really like the walking kitten on your reply.
Last night after I heard the fighting yowls, I went out and sprayed the hose up the tree they were both in. Bully came down and ran away. Hunter came down later and clung to me. She has been in the house all day and doesn't want to leave. I'm doing some fancy footwork to keep them separated. I'll try the yelling or clapping loudly the next time I see Bully giving the eye.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Originally Posted by cercia

My advice is, scare the hell out of the bully. Seriously. You do it once, they get afraid to ever do it...at least for a long time. You could try yelling, dousing with water or chasing it. But you have to do it the moment you see the cats fighting.
Please do not spray either of your cats with water, or shout at them.
The water can get inside the ears and cause all kinds of problems.
Also, getting angry at your cat will not achieve the result you want. The cat will not understand what you are saying, or why you are angry. If anything it will just mean you have a worse relationship with this cat because she is afraid of you.

Sometimes a cat can be picked on because it is not well. I strongly advise you take the cat which is being bullied, to the vet to get checked over.
If she is unwell your other cat may have picked up on this and this would explain her 'bullying' behaviour.

Please keep us udated. I find the best way to stop a fight on the spot in my house is to clap very loudly, or stomp my foot on the floor.
Please do not show anger towards your cat.
I hope you get this issue resolved so your babies can get along

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, quick question. My Isaac picks on my Levi. I don't see any obvious signs of sickness in Levi (I know they are very good at hiding them), so my question is won't my vet think I'm nuts if I say "Isaac is picking on him so I'm worried abou him"? What is a vet supposed to look for with a vague thing like that?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

won't my vet think I'm nuts if I say "Isaac is picking on him so I'm worried about him"?
No. But if Isaac has been picking on Levi since the beginning, it may be a dominance and territorial issue.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cercia

You do it once, they get afraid to ever do it...at least for a long time.
Infront of you maybe. Don't be surprised to see fur all over the floor and maybe a hurt cat when you come home after leaving them alone for a day or less.

mariaricardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, the picked on cat has taken off, haven't seen her for three days. Thank goodness she is a great hunter. Still, I don't like this solution to the fighting.

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i hope Hunter comes back and you can figure out another way to keep them from fighting.. i'd hate for this cat to be gone for a long time. =( hope you are doing ok.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The scare tactic recommendation is absolutely wrong, with or without water. I surely hope your kitty comes back.

Can you make indoor cats of them? That would eliminate a lot of the complicating factors in the situation, and both cats would be a lot safer, too. Inside the house, you would have a better chance of influencing their relationship and behavior...

mariaricardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hunter came back, spent a few days in the house and is gone again. I know a woman who keeps 13 cats in a special cat area of her house, I will ask her how she keeps the peace.
Thanks for all your concern.
Maria