Heading to New York!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're heading to New York on Friday for the long weekend. Can any locals tell me how the weather is at the moment? Just how cold is it going to be for running around doing touristy things? How many layers will we need to be warm?

I'm so excited - DH has never been to NY and I went about 6 1/2 years ago for just a few days and was on my own so going with my DH is going to be awesome

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where at in New York are you going? I saw on the weather channel that someplace in NY got a TON of snow.... if you go to www.weather.com, you'll be able to get the forecast!

Your so lucky to be going- I'd DIE to go there!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Where at in New York are you going? I saw on the weather channel that someplace in NY got a TON of snow.... if you go to www.weather.com, you'll be able to get the forecast!

Your so lucky to be going- I'd DIE to go there!!
Yeah I checked some weather sites and it looks like it's going to be REALLY cold!! I really need to just know what to wear though!!! I don't think I've ever been in weather that cold....

We're very excited and will take a ton of pics!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hope u have fun
beware tho because I am in PA and well we have a massive storm heading our way, and I do know that New york got hit last week with a bad storm in certain areas in new york there was up to 12 inches or something that i seen on the news, so hopefully this storm isnt going to be that bad but its hitting us tuesday and wed so i am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn make its way up to ny
so be sure to dress warm, im a state below them and its freezing here
but most def have fun in NY, i have never been there myself but I do wanna go let us no how it is and yes take lots and lots of pics!!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bring warm stuff to wear. NY like cleveleand can be or turn very cold this time of year.
we have been around 0 for several days, just kinda warmed up today to 32

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How many layers are we talking?

I'm thinking for the top half - singlet, shirt, sweater, waterproof jacket. For the bottom half - jeans with tights underneath. Plus gloves, scarf, beanie. Is that overkill or do you think that'll be about right for the weather conditions?

I'm sooooo hoping for snow!!!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well,for me, i wear, shirt, once it gets blow 32 a sweatshirt with a hood.
long with my leather jacket, or leather trench coat. lol but i keep a
parka in the back seat in case the truck break down.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get some under armor to wear as a bottom layer - it'll keep you super warm, if not, just be sure to dress really really warm.
I hope you have a great time!!! Take lots of pictures! I look foward hearing how your trip went!

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's COLD. Not midwest cold, but still cold. 20's-30's. So bring lots of layers!
I think the snow is just Wed and will be over by the weekend.
It's been a very snowless winter here.

What are you guys planning to do?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll try to answer your question. If you are going to be outside a lot, definitely dress in layers so that you can take some off when inside (like restaurants for lunch, etc.).

I would suggest an undershirt (singlet?), turtleneck sweater, heavier sweater and ski jacket/down jacket/waterproof jacket for the top, warm leggings and jeans/slacks for the bottom. Warm socks and good winter boots are a must (at least for me - if my feet are warm I'm more comfortable). Then you want a hat to cover your ears or a hat and earmuffs, a scarf and gloves or mittens. If you aren't driving I'd recommend mittens over gloves - much warmer.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome, thanks so much guys! Yosemite - thanks for the advice! I don't have any good shoes to wear, so not sure what to do about that... We'll be doing a lot of walking so don't want to get new shoes that I won't have time to break in.

It may not be cold for some of you who are used to it, but I'm an Aussie and I'm currently living in California - I don't do cold

We're planning to do the touristy things - Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Wall St, see Ground Zero - that kinda stuff. We're keen to go to the Museum of Modern Art as well. We'll probably just play it by ear.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Awesome, thanks so much guys! Yosemite - thanks for the advice! I don't have any good shoes to wear, so not sure what to do about that... We'll be doing a lot of walking so don't want to get new shoes that I won't have time to break in.

It may not be cold for some of you who are used to it, but I'm an Aussie and I'm currently living in California - I don't do cold

We're planning to do the touristy things - Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Wall St, see Ground Zero - that kinda stuff. We're keen to go to the Museum of Modern Art as well. We'll probably just play it by ear.
As far as shoes go, maybe when you get to New York go shopping for a pair of comfortable (not necessarily stylish) lined winter boots. With warm socks these won't be like breaking in a new pair of dressier, leather shoes type of thing and you shouldn't have to pay a fortune for them. You really will need a good warm, comfortable, low heeled boot if you are going to be doing that much walking. I think you will find the investment well worth it even if you never use them again.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we did NY in Feb for my DH birthday a couple of years ago........my tip, keep dropping into a great coffee shops to keep you warm also my legs were frozen, jeans are no good the cold strikes right through them !
Have a great time !!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it's 30, I seriously go outside in a t-shirt and shorts!
That would be a heat wave!

In all seriousness, for 20-30 degrees, I wear a t-shirt, sweater or sweatshirt, a wool overcoat (or a North Face down one...if it's wet and/or very windy), gloves, scarf and hat. Also, socks. If you don't have boots and you're going to traipsing around in the snow, wear more than one pair. And Chuck Taylor All-Stars are a BIG NO-NO

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever heard of long johns? They are along thermal underwear invest in them trust me on this. I live in Kentucky and we don't get as cold as New York and its cold here. And wear layers and make sure your jacket repels water and doesn't hold it. And make sure what ever you do that you don't stay outside for too long at a time meaning do your sight seeing inside the buildings as much as possible. And drink plenty of cocoa. Good luck on the trip though. I heard they got 12 feet of snow. And are getting more.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Piece of advice if there is snow or ice on the ground then stop at walmart before you go and get some work boots they are not hard to brake in but make sure they aren't too big or too small and that they have tracking on the bottom of them if you attempt to wear like say heels on snow you will be on your tail bone within minutes if nothing else wear a good soled tennis shoe that isn't worn out. And watch for shiney spots on the pavement ice can be in spots and is far worse than snow the trouble with snow it melts and then refreezes and then you have ice. So just be careful about that. Don't try to tiptoe on ice but don't try to run either. Other than that its a breeze once you get used to snow and ice there's nothing to it. Hope you enjoy your stay in NY and please lets see lots of pics. And give your kitties kisses for me before you leave.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So does anyone have recommendations for cool touristy things for NY?

We're going to go to Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Rockefeller Centre, Wall St, Empire State Building, Museum of Modern Art, Ground Zero, Times Square.

Any other cool things anyone recommends that might not be in the guide book that you think is cool?