A Better Collar?

ruefrex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi forum,

I've been searching the Internets trying to find a better breakaway collar for my indoor cat. I have a nylon breakaway collar for him but if I leave it on longer than a day or so, it rubs the fur off his neck. I'm trying to find a type of collar that won't do this, but every collar I find is nylon, or sparkly and non-breakaway. Does anyone have any collar wisdom to share?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

-- Kay

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you heard of Beastie Bands? I do believe if you do a search for them, you should find a lot of good info on them, I've heard they are great! I'm in the process of getting them for my boys!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use and LOVE Ragtime Pet Collars, you can order them online and they are a great price. I like them because they are light (so Rambo doesn't notice he has it on) and they are very safe.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for that website! I've been thinking of getting breakaway collars for mine because there have been a few scary times when they've tried to get outside! And I love that you can get their name and your phone number embroidered on the collar. I love the price!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my two favorite collars: beastie bands, from robbins pet care [they let you choose color & pattern both] and ragtime collars [custom made from a wide selection of wonderful fabrics]. the beastie bands are very lightweight & stretchy. the ragtime collars are all cotton, with a breakaway section. my cats wore the beastie bands for a long time, but they now all have ragtime collars, & i really like them. since Cable & Pixel groom each other, they tend to wear out the beastie bands, but the ragtime collars are holding up really well. if you order several collars, ragtime includes a mousie toy, too!
Pixel used to have trouble with fur loss, too. i think it was an allergy to the nylon collars she was wearing. the beastie bands and the ragtime collars both do just fine for her.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got my ragtime delivery in the mail when I went home at lunch! LOVE EM! This time around I got the phone number/names embroidered on it. The hardest part is picking the colour!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

I just got my ragtime delivery in the mail when I went home at lunch! LOVE EM! This time around I got the phone number/names embroidered on it. The hardest part is picking the colour!!!
i didn't get the names/numbers embroidered because mine already had tags from boomerang tags. i really like his tags
i got the heart shaped tags with their names & my numbers on one side & a message on the reverse side.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...i had some nice tags but when Lucky was staying at my sisters she managed to lose the collar with the tag. I searched all over the house but no sign of it...I wonder where she buried it! :p

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've used Lindsay Design's collars as well as Ragtime Collars and now Beastie Bands and they are all great!

msktty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never seen a problem with regular breakaway collars, but I think the ones I have are cotton, not nylon. 1337's is "fuzzy," though, from being worn so much. That's the only problem I see with it. Roarie's is refelctant so if she gets outside (her being born outside, I always worried about that) she can be seen in headlights or something and that collar is holding up AMAZINGLY. Reflectable breakaway collars are my favourite.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you need a collar if your cats are strictly indoors and really have no way of getting out (ie. they'd need to get past me, run down two flights of stairs and open a door to get out?).

I know this is really a stupid question, but those collars are so cute that I want someone to convince me that it's a matter of safety for me to have collars on them...

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's amazing how quickly cats find a way out. Rambo pushed out a window screen (and the window was only open about 3 inches, and squeezed himself outside. I was in a panic...turns out he didn't go very far and was actually hiding in the bushes....but still...better safe then sorry to have the collar on!

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

It's amazing how quickly cats find a way out. Rambo pushed out a window screen (and the window was only open about 3 inches, and squeezed himself outside. I was in a panic...turns out he didn't go very far and was actually hiding in the bushes....but still...better safe then sorry to have the collar on!
Huh. Well I don't need much more convincing than that! If you'll excuse me, I'm off to do some Internet cat collar shopping!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my collars today!
I love them, except that she misspelled Chessy's name as Cheesy.
I'm going to send it back and hopefully they'll send me a corrected one (awaiting their reply). Emily is wearing hers and doesn't seem to mind it.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
your kitty could get out at any time and you want everyone to know he has a loving home......get some collars