Carpon

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone know where I can obtain it in Canada? I'd like to try it on my two male kitties....Beard especially.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone have the ingrediants for this thing??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Doesn't look like I will be able to try it....or even see the ingredients...they seem to only offer to the US.
Sharky - I'm sure someone has a bottle at home they could type the ingredients out for you. I take it you've never used it for one of your kitties.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furry4fury

Doesn't look like I will be able to try it....or even see the ingredients...they seem to only offer to the US.
Sharky - I'm sure someone has a bottle at home they could type the ingredients out for you. I take it you've never used it for one of your kitties.
No mostly cause my vet hasnt heard of it and I wanted to show it too her ... oh and the first UTI didnt occur for 17 plus yrs

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ingredients for Carpon coming up. According to the bottle it is Vaccinium Macrocarpon Extract. It says "Carpon is derived from a naturally occurring botanical fruit having the necessary acid quality that aids in the acidification of feline urine."

I hope that helps. I'm not certain that it is working for Eric because he has only been on it about two weeks. I hope to get a urine sample at the end of the month to have his pH level tested.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always wanted to try this but isnt it in a pill form? I cant imagine pilling Zoey every day

I use the acidifier goop from Dr. Fosters & Smith. She actually licks it right up on her own.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been giving this to Nugie and he's gotten pretty good about taking the pill. After reading this thread though I started researching and I think this paste, Mark & Chappell UTI Paste for Cats, would be a lot more affordable and would serve the same purpose.

It seems that Vaccinium Macrocarpon Extract is simply the botanical name for Cranberry Extract. So..... if one can sprinkle cranberry flakes on their cats food and the cat will eat it then that would be even more affordable.

I'll be getting some of the UTI Paste the next time around.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

I've been giving this to Nugie and he's gotten pretty good about taking the pill. After reading this thread though I started researching and I think this paste, Mark & Chappell UTI Paste for Cats, would be a lot more affordable and would serve the same purpose.

It seems that Vaccinium Macrocarpon Extract is simply the botanical name for Cranberry Extract. So..... if one can sprinkle cranberry flakes on their cats food and the cat will eat it then that would be even more affordable.

I'll be getting some of the UTI Paste the next time around.
That's a good one too. I tried that one before but Zoey didnt like it.

However, she LOVES this stuff for some reason

Urinary Acidifier

The paste of course, Zoey is the worst pill taker ever

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

Ok I hate you
LOL You're funny
Beandip takes a pill every day too. After he swallows the pill, he wanders off and finds a good spot...then he falls over on his side to show me his belly. He lets me give him belly rubs since he's such an awesome pill taker. It took a lot of practice to get to that point, I admit

So I can stay on track...how big are these Carpon pills? We prefer small pills.
I'm seriously curious, though.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Carpon pill in front of me. It's round, sort of cranberry color (appropriately
) and about 1/4 inch in diameter. Eric has no problem swallowing them- but he's been taking prednisolone daily since 2001 so he's a veteran pill taker.

The pastes and gels look interesting but most of my crew are reluctant to take anything off a spoon and are suspicious of anything strange added to their food.

On Dr. Bellfield's site Carpon is $19.95 per 100 tablets plus s/h. The pills on Doctors Foster and Smith are only $10.99 per 100 tablets. That's significantly less if it works as well as Carpon. I might have to think about that.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

I have a Carpon pill in front of me. It's round, sort of cranberry color (appropriately
) and about 1/4 inch in diameter. Eric has no problem swallowing them- but he's been taking prednisolone daily since 2001 so he's a veteran pill taker.
Well that doesn't sound too bad. Is Eric on prescription food in addition to the Carpon?

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

The pastes and gels look interesting but most of my crew are reluctant to take anything off a spoon and are suspicious of anything strange added to their food.

On Dr. Bellfield's site Carpon is $19.95 per 100 tablets plus s/h. The pills on Doctors Foster and Smith are only $10.99 per 100 tablets. That's significantly less if it works as well as Carpon. I might have to think about that.
Well it looks like I won't be able to obtain Carpon as I'm in Canada....I'll check with a pet store in the city after my spa visit
I'll let you all know what I find.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Well that doesn't sound too bad. Is Eric on prescription food in addition to the Carpon?
Eric was on c/d for six years. Now, due to possible diabetes he is off the c/d. I'm using the Carpon in hopes of keeping his pH at an appropriate level. He's due for blood work in two weeks to check his glucose. I'm hoping to get a urine sample from him at the same time. Wish me luck.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Eric was on c/d for six years. Now, due to possible diabetes he is off the c/d. I'm using the Carpon in hopes of keeping his pH at an appropriate level. He's due for blood work in two weeks to check his glucose. I'm hoping to get a urine sample from him at the same time. Wish me luck.
That will be interesting to see if it did the trick, especially with 6 years of history to compare to. Good urine sample vibes to you and Eric.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fang has been taking two pills of carpon a day for maybe a year, 8 months I don't remember. I am surprised you can't order it on the internet in Canada.How is that possible, or does dr. belfield just not sell to Canada for legal or shipping purposes. Fang has been great, but he just peed on the rug where he had peed before, so now I am wondering what his problem is. I think he was trying to get my attention. It is a pain to have a cat with these issues, but I guess I will love him again as soon as I get over being mad.
He wouldn't eat the cranberry flakes on the food, but I am definitely going to check out the pill above that is cheaper.
He is a good pill taker.

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furry4fury

Well it looks like I won't be able to obtain Carpon as I'm in Canada....I'll check with a pet store in the city after my spa visit
I'll let you all know what I find.
It didn't work out the way I had hoped...I go into the city so rarely that all the running around I hope to accomplish never happens. I will check around with the Canadian On-line stores and see what they say.
I'll keep you posted.
Denise

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I stopped in at one pet store in the Mall - Very rude people there...won't ever go back. Anyway - they told me there that I would have to get it from a vet and they wouldn't even look into it to see.
I called Pet Valu - which is where I started going when the one in the mall started to turn rude. He said that he hadn't heard of anything like that - I was asking more for the paste (pilling the two boys everyday I think would cause them and us to much stress). He said he had a few dry foods - Preformance Ultra....he said it has cranberries, blueberries etc. He said I would be very happy with their coats - I have them on Preformance Maintenance -low in ash and their coats look mangie.
I'm rambling sorry :eek:(
I'm just so frustrated. He said that the paste is probably not approved by Canadian standards so the stores can't sell it. You can buy hairball paste and Worm pills at the pet store but not UTI prevention paste....grrrrr.