Your favourite TV episodics to rent?

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've been renting alot of TV episodics over the past year or so. I prefer this to watching them on the television, as you don't have to deal with commercials and you're not left hanging every week.
I thought I'd start a thread about everyone's favourites, so we could get some ideas of what to rent next.
Here's my list with a few reasons why I liked them:

24: Action packed, keeps you on the edge of your seat. I'm not usually into action, but the fast plot and the characters kept me very engaged.

Lost: Love the mystery. Also love the character development and how the writers blend the past character stories with the present.

6ft Under: I grew very attached to the characters. I found it very relaxing to watch. I'm quite sad that it is over for good.

Nip/Tuck: Entertaining and amusing.

Rome: I love historical dramas.

Arrested Development: Very funny, especially the first and second season.

House: Enjoyable and entertaining. Some people are irritated by the main character and can not watch it.

Big Love: Fascinating Mormon Polygmy family drama!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have all almost all 10 seasons of FRIENDS. I only need 3 more, and then I'll have the whole collection. I think I might watch one of them today!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fave show to watch on re-runs is Will & Grace. Hands down....that will get you laughing through any rough time! They have the best one liners in that show!

Here are a few of my faves:

"those shoes? nooooot musical"

"and this howdy doody lookin' mother fella"

"I am assisting my
off over here!"

"I could use a nice drink on the rocks, and by rocks I mean pills"

"honey, what did you just get off the mayflower?"

"the pilgrims called, they want their shoes back"

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I can generally only rent dubbed versions of TV series here in Germany, and I hate dubbed stuff. I do have a couple of series (in English) on DVD, though: one season of "Law & Order" (Jerry Orbach's last one), three seasons of "Law & Order:SVU", the only season of "Invasion", and one season of "Third Watch".

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Three of the most recent additions to my TV on DVD collection:

1) The Simpsons S8 - includes some of my favorite episodes; "The Homer They Fall", "A Millhouse Divided", "The Canine Mutiny" and "You Only Move Twice"

2) Mission Impossible S1 - some people will have a hard time watching it because it stars Steven Hill instead of Peter Graves as the leader of the IMF. I love the older hour long shows because they had 50 minutes (as opposed to 40 today) and could build a story better.

3) Get Smart (complete set) - five seasons is a lot to get through, but it's a great show.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grey's Anatomy. i am almost done with season 2 and season 3 isn't out yet. I am seriously going to have withdrawls!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gotten really addicted to renting TV series.

Six Feet Under
Battlestar Gallactica: sort of like a space soap opera with oodles of action and drama thrown in.
Lost: This one is next on my list to rent
House: gotta catch up on all the ones i miss
Heroes: whenever this one gets out on DVD...i saw the first few episodes and got hooked, but then busy life got in the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is Heroes about? I also don't know Invasion or Third watch.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Grey's Anatomy. i am almost done with season 2 and season 3 isn't out yet. I am seriously going to have withdrawls!
Shows are going to start being released on DVD a lot sooner now, due to all the pirating. 24 has already started to release the first episodes of season 6 for this reason, even though 6 has only been on the air for a month. Supposedly, you can rent episodes that haven't even been aired yet!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

My fave show to watch on re-runs is Will & Grace. Hands down....that will get you laughing through any rough time! They have the best one liners in that show!

Here are a few of my faves:

"those shoes? nooooot musical"

"and this howdy doody lookin' mother fella"

"I am assisting my
off over here!"

"I could use a nice drink on the rocks, and by rocks I mean pills"

"honey, what did you just get off the mayflower?"

"the pilgrims called, they want their shoes back"
Heather I am cracking up!! What about Honey what's in your hair do you have mousse and squirrel in there?

So I agree with Heather this is a definite Rental!! Enjoy!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

"Invasion" told the story of a patchwork family dealing with remarriage, step-parents/step-children, natural catastrophes, and perhaps an alien invasion (or just evolution?). In short, change. I loved the character development. http://www.tv.com/invasion/show/32917/summary.html
"Third Watch" was all about paramedics, fire fighters, cops and ER staff, and their interactions in NYC: http://www.tv.com/third-watch/show/218/summary.html
Both series were cancelled far too soon!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

"Invasion" told the story of a patchwork family dealing with remarriage, step-parents/step-children, natural catastrophes, and perhaps an alien invasion (or just evolution?). In short, change. I loved the character development. http://www.tv.com/invasion/show/32917/summary.html
"Third Watch" was all about paramedics, fire fighters, cops and ER staff, and their interactions in NYC: http://www.tv.com/third-watch/show/218/summary.html
Both series were cancelled far too soon!
Sounds like I'd like both. They always cancel the really great shows. I think the average North American's taste is on par with Girls Gone Wild or Baywatch (no offense to Baywatch fans).

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

I was going to try and describe heroes...but as usually the internet does it better!!
check it out

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

I was going to try and describe heroes...but as usually the internet does it better!!
check it out
Now that I just checked your link, i do know the show though haven't seen it. A co-worker told me about it and loves it. It's her favourite show.

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm anxious to catch Heroes when it comes out on DVD this summer.
I used to rent Buffy the Vampire Slayer all of the time until someone bought me the entire series on DVDs

I still really enjoy catching sitcoms The Cosby Show, Friends, Will n' Grace, and Sex and the City on reruns though I've never gone to rent those types of shows.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Wonderfalls is a great series where almost all of the episodes made it only on DVD.

The 4400 is good.

And we always enjoy Scrubs.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Heather I am cracking up!! What about Honey what's in your hair do you have mousse and squirrel in there?

So I agree with Heather this is a definite Rental!! Enjoy!
Okay... These were cracking me up too..

How about:

"Women, can't live with em', end of sentence."

"Queer?! Who are you callin' queer you blouse wearing fairy?"

"Honey,,, what's what's this your trying do here?"

"Grace, get the phone!"

OH AND HOW ABOUT THE I told you so dance... Need I say more!!!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, my day was made when Melrose Place came out on DVD right before my birthday and my boyfriend did the right thing

Now I just need the next 7 seasons....
Also have 90210 Season 1 on DVD

My other fave is the Family Guy, but I dont have the new one yet!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

Well, my day was made when Melrose Place came out on DVD right before my birthday and my boyfriend did the right thing

Now I just need the next 7 seasons....
Also have 90210 Season 1 on DVD

My other fave is the Family Guy, but I dont have the new one yet!
I have thought about getting Melrose Place and 90210 on dvd - they are my guilty pleasures!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot to list the series I have on dvd:-

Casualty Seasons 1, 2 and 3 - now that my sister is back from London, I am going to have to find a way to finish off the series as they release them!

CSI Seasons 1 and 2

Lost Seasons 1 and 2

All the seasons of the Sopranos except the 6th one

Medium Season 1

Monk Season 1

Prison Break Season 1

Grey's Anatomy Season 1 (season 2 was just released so I will have to get it as I missed it - I work when its on!)

CSI Miami Season 1

The Dukes of Hazzard Season 1.

I always forget to buy the next season onwards, I just don't have much time to go shopping.