When to introduce kitten to other cats?

monarchcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I've posted a few times now about a stray mom cat and her litter of kittens that we have here. Misty (mom cat) and all the kittens (six) are doing really well. We have decided to keep one of the kittens, and I'm wondering when we should introduce him to our other three cats, and our dog. Right now none of the animals have met the mother cat or any of the babies, and it can stay that way until they go to their forever homes (Misty is going to my parents house, and we are working with a rescue group to home the kittens).

The kittens are 4 weeks old tomorrow, and I'm wondering if it would be better for the other cats to meet the little guy now, or wait another few weeks? I don't want to stress him out, but I want the relationship between him and the others to be as good as possible. Any advice?

In case anyone would like to see these babies...
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...4btWT_&notag=1

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Monarchcat

Hi, I've posted a few times now about a stray mom cat and her litter of kittens that we have here. Misty (mom cat) and all the kittens (six) are doing really well. We have decided to keep one of the kittens, and I'm wondering when we should introduce him to our other three cats, and our dog. Right now none of the animals have met the mother cat or any of the babies, and it can stay that way until they go to their forever homes (Misty is going to my parents house, and we are working with a rescue group to home the kittens).

The kittens are 4 weeks old tomorrow, and I'm wondering if it would be better for the other cats to meet the little guy now, or wait another few weeks? I don't want to stress him out, but I want the relationship between him and the others to be as good as possible. Any advice?

In case anyone would like to see these babies...
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...4btWT_&notag=1
I would wait until the little guy is a bit older....at least until he has been seen by a vet and received his first set of shots. That way, you don't have to worry about him passing anything to your cats and vice versa.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually any of my kittens are introduced to the other resident animals when they are able to start walking around - about 4-6 weeks old. They are supervised at all times. I let them socialize for about 15-30 mins at a time, maybe once or twice a day. The resident cats might run from them or hiss a bit, but they actually get used to them a lot faster at the younger age.

My resident cats were all indoors and up to date for shots, so no harm in passing anything on.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be ok to introduce them now, just short periods at a time and supervised very closely so the little guy doesn't get hurt.

They are adorable! Which one are you keeping?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monarchcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by PaulaS

I think it would be ok to introduce them now, just short periods at a time and supervised very closely so the little guy doesn't get hurt.

They are adorable! Which one are you keeping?
We are keeping the black and white guy, Cupid. He just stole our hearts. He comes right over to us as soon as we come in and climbs into our hands to snuggle up and go to sleep. *sigh*. The others are all very sweet as well, but he is just something special.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
omg i love Prancer , love at first site. if only i had room for more lol. great gone and got meself all worked up now.
i started to introduce my kittens to the others when they was about 5 weeks old. supervised only.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Actually any of my kittens are introduced to the other resident animals when they are able to start walking around - about 4-6 weeks old. They are supervised at all times. I let them socialize for about 15-30 mins at a time, maybe once or twice a day. The resident cats might run from them or hiss a bit, but they actually get used to them a lot faster at the younger age.

My resident cats were all indoors and up to date for shots, so no harm in passing anything on.
Finally!!! Something GK and I disagree on!

I let my kittens have their second shots before I introduce them to the others. I'm just paranoid that way!