Begging for food

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How do I stop this? Karma never begged before, untill I had s certain person who shall remain nameless. She knows who she is, over for dinner. Well in a matter of a few hours she learned how to be. Now she is in my lap or CH's all the timw while we eat. Sticking her paws or face right into the food. She doesn't vother to beg, just takes it. How do I stop this? I have tried everything. I tried feeding her at the same time, didn't work, she ignored her food. Ive tried telling her no, putting her on the floor, everything. I just don't want her to eat something that is toxic to her. Plus I don't want her to do it while I have company over.

armani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well what I do is put by cat in another room while I eat then release my cat when im done chowin'. Fur and food dont mix well for me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried that. She just starts thowing herself aginst the door, jumping up at the doorknob, screeming, and putting her paws under the door. I can't listen to it. So that doesn't work to well. Im scared she will hurt herself tryong to get out.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn't like being excluded huh?
Tomas has fits too. Have you tried hissing at her? or get a can of compressed air and spray that without the straw.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yah, she destroyed the can of air,, She hates bubbles though so I am going to try those. I have yet to try hissing. I never have infact. I don't know how she will react. I need to ry it.

thelorax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know, I know, I'm an evil guest who should know better than to feed kitty human food...but y'know...she lookedat me and patted my leg so friendly-like...lets face it , she took me for the sucker for cats that I truly am...I can deny them nothing and theyknow this upon meeting me...

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well the canned air. First she bent the straw and put holes in it do it wold not work. Then she proceded to mangle to nozzle so we could not spray it at all. She really does not like to be punished. Thelorax knows. She has met Karma. This cat is so smart and sneaky she is almost human.

Now we keep the canned air, squirt guns and bubbles in the cabinet so she can't ge them. She is starting to figure out how to open cabinets though, so soon they will be moved.

OH yah so yo all know Karmas nick name is The Monkey, so if I refer to her like that I did not get a second cat, we just call her The Monkey now, because well, she is one.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you switch one of her regular mealtimes to just before your own? It could help if she's full!

armani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
might have to try teh old water bottle trick IF worst comes to worst. Or someone might end up takin care of that cat when you are not there and their not used to it. Also consider these paw mats people talk about...im sure you have already. I mean in this case you are gonna have to do something to impact this cat's routine. Sometimes being too nice can make em more bratty...like litte kids lol. Especially if its tearing up property, that's def not acceptable.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've got a beggar. Interesting thing is that the begging has stopped almost completely since i started giving her a high quality wet food for two meals a day. Now she only begs for her favorite - cheese and occasionally for chicken. But what we did when she was begging all the time was - we'd tell her to "sit down and wait" and push her away. If she waited and was good, she could have a small bite after we were done. If she wouldn't stop annoying us, we didn't let her have anything. She learned pretty quick that the way to get a taste of what we had was to sit quietly and wait. You have to be consistent.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Can you switch one of her regular mealtimes to just before your own? It could help if she's full!
I tried it she has a bottomess pit of a tummy.

We just are going to keep working with her. I tried the hissing thing and she punched me
. She does that sometimes. No claws just a paw in the face. I will be happy if I can get her to a least stay on the floor and stare at me. Jumping on us is not working.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

I tried the hissing thing and she punched me
Destroying property and now assult!

Sounds like you have a very willful spoiled kitty. The pic in you sig. kinda gives that away too
Don't give up and good luck on round two!

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it were my cat, I'd offer her up the food from my plate that a cat would find yucky. Once she sees that your meals aren't up to her high standards she might leave you alone! Here's hoping anyway.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well one thing we have started doing is eating more fish. She hates seafood so that seams to work. Plus we are eating better.

As for the spoiled thing, yah its my fault. I just felt so bad when we got her because she had a hard life untill then. I ended up over doing it. Now We suffer.
Thelorax knows she has met Karma. Tha cat rules the house.

thelorax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luxum

I've got a beggar. Interesting thing is that the begging has stopped almost completely since i started giving her a high quality wet food for two meals a day. Now she only begs for her favorite - cheese and occasionally for chicken. But what we did when she was begging all the time was - we'd tell her to "sit down and wait" and push her away. If she waited and was good, she could have a small bite after we were done. If she wouldn't stop annoying us, we didn't let her have anything. She learned pretty quick that the way to get a taste of what we had was to sit quietly and wait. You have to be consistent.
Okay, since I'm the evil culprit...The last suggestion makes sense because there is a pecking order per sey, in the wild, or if left to go back to wild behaviors, the largest male cats and leadfemales will eat first and push the other younger, smaller, weaker, lesser important cats away...to eat later if there is any deadthing left to be consumed. So making her wait consistantly until the end is good training, but will take a bit of time.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Um have do you remember Karma? She is very willful. After you gave her one bite she was all over you. We are triing, I know it will take tie. Its my foult for spoiling her and letting her get away with murder.