Clever Cat Litter Box (Those top entry ones)

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I broke down and paid the 30 or so bucks for one of those clever cat litter boxes. Shami was in love with it the moment he set his eyes on it. He knew exactly what it was for. He likes it so much that he gets upset when I scoop his litter and start messing with the box. But it works really well, reduces the litter tracking quite a bit, stops him from chucking litter everywhere, can pour in the litter extra deep so to cut down on the odor.

The most amazing bit I found was that whatever plastic they used to make this thing repels stains like nothing else out there. I would swear it was made out of teflon. Shami could fling all the poo he wants all over the thing and all I have to do is rinse it and it'll come off with no scrubbing whatsoever.

Anyone else use this thing?

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Would you happen to have a link for this product? It seems like a neat idea and I'm very interested in getting something that'll prevent litter from being tracked all through my apartment. I've never heard of this before so any additional info. you have on it would be much appreciated!

ETA:
Alright, so I looked it up myself and found pictures of the product. http://www.clevercatinnovations.com
I'm still curious about it. Do you NEED to use liners with it (I've hated liners in the past). Do you find the size to be appropriate? Often the litter box is a communal activity in my house so I'm wondering if I might get a traffic jam if my two tried to go in there at once. Any thoughts?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

Would you happen to have a link for this product? It seems like a neat idea and I'm very interested in getting something that'll prevent litter from being tracked all through my apartment. I've never heard of this before so any additional info. you have on it would be much appreciated!
the only ones i've seen are the ones people have made themselves, out of the rubbermaid tubs.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

the only ones i've seen are the ones people have made themselves, out of the rubbermaid tubs.
All right!!! That's a great thred you linked to Laureen227. I can't believe I'm getting excited about a litter box...

This could just solve all my litter-tracking issues without having to spend $30+. I'm a bit worried about how they would know to jump inside to use the litter, but since no one's seemed to have any issues with it I'll give it a go and see. I just can't picture myself jumping down into a small-ish hole to investigate what's going on down there, (never mind to do my business) but then I am not a cat.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just can't picture myself jumping down into a small-ish hole to investigate what's going on down there, (never mind to do my business) but then I am not a cat.
Me either.
But cats love to get into everything. You can always show the cat too, set them on top of it and stick you hand through the hole. I'm worried that if I used top entry that one of the cats would just have to leave a poop under the hole.
So I just use a big tub with a large hole in the end, higher up a normal covered box has it. This seems to help some, but there's still tracked litter.

I also have a log in front of the litter box, not exactly eye catching but they scratch on that everytime they get out. It worked better than putting a cardboard scratcher there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I'm still curious about it. Do you NEED to use liners with it (I've hated liners in the past). Do you find the size to be appropriate? Often the litter box is a communal activity in my house so I'm wondering if I might get a traffic jam if my two tried to go in there at once. Any thoughts?
Nope, I hate the liners too. It comes with two liners and after the first one, never again. They just get scratched up anyway. The size seems just right for one cat, definitely might have some problems if two tried to use one at the same time.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use mostly covered boxes and my cats hated this one. I ended up throwing out the lid and using it as an open box. There was a thread on this box a while back, and if I recall correctly, the collectively opinion was that for large cats, there isn't enough head room for them, but it seemed to work better for smaller cats. It's a nice sized box, but if they don't like the overhead cover, then you're money is better spent on a rubbermaid type bin.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Rubbermaid totes made into top-entry boxes....it helps to foil my "flingers" who love to try to dig to china in the box!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lemur 6;1588223 said:
So I broke down and paid the 30 or so bucks for one of those clever cat litter boxes. Shami was in love with it the moment he set his eyes on it. He knew exactly what it was for. He likes it so much that he gets upset when I scoop his litter and start messing with the box. But it works really well, reduces the litter tracking quite a bit, stops him from chucking litter everywhere, can pour in the litter extra deep so to cut down on the odor.

The most amazing bit I found was that whatever plastic they used to make this thing repels stains like nothing else out there. I would swear it was made out of teflon. Shami could fling all the poo he wants all over the thing and all I have to do is rinse it and it'll come off with no scrubbing whatsoever.

Anyone else use this thing?[/
quote]

I see the main attribute for these at the site is to keep the dog out but I cannot see how it would keep a dog out. That is not important to me as I do not have a dog now but back when I just had Persi, the standard front entrance with cover did the job fine, no litter ever outside the box. Alley though strews litter everywhere and this looks like it could help. I just got her used to using the same litter box as Persi, I am wondering what the learning curve would be on getting them both used to using the new one.

raleigh'sparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My wife and I saw these tonight in PetCo and thought immediately about the rubbermaid tubs..

We also got a floormat for a car/truck to use as a "litter catcher"..

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

Thank you!
I notice is says dog proof. I do not have dogs now but when I did, my dog Rocky treated the litter box like the local diner.
They are NOT dog proof for taller dogs. My dogs found their way into it all the time.