My cats swallowed a string a week ago...

abufish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two very active indoor cats both 1 year old male. One of them swallowed a string a week ago (7 days). The string is about 4 inches, thick cotton string from a yoyo toy (not sure where they found it, we found the yoyo lied on the floor Monday morning with part of string chewed off
). We were not certain which cat swallowed it or did they swallowed, called the vet and she said it is okay if we keep a close look on them, when any abnormal arises, assume that it was caused by the string and send to hospital immediately. We agreed since there is a good chance that the string can get through without painful surgery.

Up till now, the two cats are still eat/play/poop normal, and seems both in good mood. We fed them some hairball jelly according to instruction, and clean their litter often, but still havn't see any string yet, there are some suspicious fiber in their poop twice, but just look like undigested hair, not string.

Here are my questions: how long can a sympton show up if anything goes wrong? Is cotton fiber digestable and just "disappears"? I will definitely keep an eye on them next week, but I am still very worried

Thanks

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With any luck, the string may have incorporated itself into a developing hairball... that would probably be the safest way for it to be expelled.

If it's any consolation, our Sassy has swallowed all sorts of things -- string, yarn, ribbon, rubber bands, anything that falls into her reach despite our best efforts. So far, thank goodness, she's never had any trouble eliminating the item in one direction or the other.

I don't know how digestible cotton is, but it's got to be less dangerous than stronger synthetic fibers... and I'm glad it was a thick string, rather than thread, which could tangle and perhaps cut them internally.

I wish I knew more! I'll be hoping the best for your babies. Have you got the phone number and directions to the nearest 24-hour emergency clinic, just in case something does happen?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abufish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! It makes me feel much better. Yes the vet gave us a clinic's number and direction... just hope we will never use it

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea how long it takes to pass, and your vet probably told you this, but (I think) the signs to watch out for are straining in the litter box, going off their food/water, lethargy, and general signs like that.

If you see the string coming out of their backside, DO NOT pull it out! If you see it and pull on it it can cause MAJOR problems. So if you do see it, cut the main dangling bit off so your cat can't pull it out, and get your kitty along to a vet ASAP.

Good luck!

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also look for retching/vomiting and lethargy.
It's been a whole week and she's still feeling fine, so chances are she will pass it and be fine.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abufish

there are some suspicious fiber in their poop twice, but just look like undigested hair, not string.
I'll bet this could be the string. You'd be amazed at what comes out, can sometimes look NOTHING like what went in
Zoey has chewed and eaten her feather toy before and what I've found in her poop sure didnt look like a feather but it was the same color so I knew it was that.

I think a week is probably long enough and you are most likely in the clear but I would still keep a close eye on them.