I'm a bad parent!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I were planning on going to the State Fair for an alone day, without the kids... About 20 mins ago Reggie asked the kids if they wanted to go
I really wanted it to just be us... They have school tomorrow so I can use that as an excuse that they can't go.. I just hate to see him get thier hopes up..I know I could wait and take them on the weekend but it will be more crowded then during the week...

I am thinking of telling them that we aren't even going tomorrow but going anyways.
I wish I could just tell them that we need some alone time but they wouldn't understand since they usually go everywhere with us...

Would I be a bad parent if I told them a little white lie?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They may not understand now, but when they're older and have they're own kids, they'll understand.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Kids LOVE the fair, you definately can't tell them the truth if you're not bringing them.
True - very true! It seems so strange to hear someone talking about a fair when we're buried under so much snow and the only outdoor celebrations we hear about are winter festivals.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

True - very true! It seems so strange to hear someone talking about a fair when we're buried under so much snow and the only outdoor celebrations we hear about are winter festivals.
That's what I kept thinking: Your State Fair is in February??

Then I remembered she's in FL!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

DH and I were planning on going to the State Fair for an alone day, without the kids... About 20 mins ago Reggie asked the kids if they wanted to go
I really wanted it to just be us... They have school tomorrow so I can use that as an excuse that they can't go.. I just hate to see him get thier hopes up..I know I could wait and take them on the weekend but it will be more crowded then during the week...

I am thinking of telling them that we aren't even going tomorrow but going anyways.
I wish I could just tell them that we need some alone time but they wouldn't understand since they usually go everywhere with us...

Would I be a bad parent if I told them a little white lie?
I wouldn't tell them a lie, I would either tell them they could go, or I would tell them why they couldn't go.

But I would not lie to them, you wouldn't want them to tell you a lie. You know that old saying, "monkey see, monkey do.

Children learn what they see.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm....can you go have your alone day with DH tomorrow and take them next weekend? That way you can just hit the areas the kids would like and maybe make it quicker? I'd tell them your going on a date with Daddy and that unless they wanna watch you two play kissy face they can't go. That would have done it for me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

It's going to be a sweet 70 degrees tomorrow

We don't go to the fair to ride the rides (I don't trust them..call me paranoid)
We go to see all the exhibits and animals... We have 2 year passes to Busch Gardens so if they wanna ride rides, we go there

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All parents need some alone time.Go to the fair and send the kids to school.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I wouldn't tell them a lie, I would either tell them they could go, or I would tell them why they couldn't go.

But I would not lie to them, you wouldn't want them to tell you a lie. You know that old saying, "monkey see, monkey do.

Children learn what they see.
Yeah I know...
But I hate breaking thier hearts...

Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Hmmm....can you go have your alone day with DH tomorrow and take them next weekend? That way you can just hit the areas the kids would like and maybe make it quicker? I'd tell them your going on a date with Daddy and that unless they wanna watch you two play kissy face they can't go. That would have done it for me!
We can't afford to go twice.

I am thinking we might just end up not going to the fair and take them to Busch Gardens this weekend...

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

It's going to be a sweet 70 degrees tomorrow

We don't go to the fair to ride the rides (I don't trust them..call me paranoid)
We go to see all the exhibits and animals... We have 2 year passes to Busch Gardens so if they wanna ride rides, we go there
Well I'm here a little late since its 'tomorrow' already. But what I'd like to ask is if you're not going to enjoy the rides at the fair, and going to see the exhibits and animals...why not save your 'alone time' for something a little more romantic?...like a sweet movie or dinner together? As Natalie said...kids LOVE the fair!!! I would have definitely taken them along and then planned something else...something special and romantic seeing that Valentine's in just around the corner...with my hubby. I don't know, maybe its just me, but I'd would get these awful feelings of guilt if I went without them to something I know they'd really love.

Hilda >^..^<

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Tell them you'll take them on the weekend, that way you get your alone day with DH, and they get to go to the fair too. Nobody misses school, and you don't have to lie. Sounds like a win, win situation to me.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we ended up taking them with us today
We wouldn't have been able to take them this weekend because we would be working... they had a blast... got to blow the steam whistles on the trains, feed giraffes, and got lots of free stuff too!
I think DH and I are just going to have a quiet lunch together on V-Day

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, that was sweet of y'all. I'm kinda glad you ended up taking them...kids & fairs...they just go so well together!

Valentines lunch sounds much more romantic...I think you made a good choice

Hilda >^..^<