Need Advice

joseph dooley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
One of our cats has developed a problem with 3 of his foot pads. They have started to bleed slightly and look as if he has small cuts on part of each pad. The problem did not show up all 3 pads at once. We have no idea how this would have happened. He is in good health and does not get into any fighting. Has anyone seent his problem. We have treated the wounds with antiseptic cream and wrapped his feet with gauze pads and first aid tape. Please, if anyone has some ideas, we would appreciate something to try before taking him to the Vet's.
Thank you,
Joe and Stephanie Dooley

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would unwrap the feet if it were me, and if the pads are still bleeding, get the cat to the vet on Monday. If the cats are allowed outside, then keep them indoor. Also check your home carefully for anything broken. You might be surprised at what you find. If you used the newer neosporin with pain relief on the pads, please wash the ointment off immediately. Sadly, it has proven toxic to cats. The original formula is fine.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I would unwrap the feet if it were me, and if the pads are still bleeding, get the cat to the vet on Monday. If the cats are allowed outside, then keep them indoor. Also check your home carefully for anything broken. You might be surprised at what you find. If you used the newer neosporin with pain relief on the pads, please wash the ointment off immediately. Sadly, it has proven toxic to cats. The original formula is fine.
I would unwrap the feet too, you might could try just dabbing the feet with a little bit of salt water, salt water helps clear up cuts and stuff.

His little paws just might be real dry and cracked.

I would carry him to the vet though and have it checked out.

Keep us posted on how he is doing.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His little paws just might be real dry and cracked.
That was my first thought, also. Like Hissy said, I'd check around the house to see what you can find that could be irritating the poor little guy's feet. I'd definitely get him to the vet tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joseph dooley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Just wanted to let everyone know that Teddy has been to the Vet. She thinks it is an allergic reaction to something. He is on an antibiotic and Prednisone and is doing slowly better. Thanks for your interest.
Joseph Dooley

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that Teddy is doing better; hope he continues to improve.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two cents - he's probably gained an allergy against his litter.

My foundation Abys are very very allergic to clay litter of any sort. Crystal litters - rock types cut into their paws and the ball type gets stuck in between their toes. Highly scented pine causes their nose to grow bumps.

I now use a wheat based product - similar ot swheat scoop or WBCL. No more cut paws, bumpy ears and nose!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Joseph Dooley

Hello,
Just wanted to let everyone know that Teddy has been to the Vet. She thinks it is an allergic reaction to something. He is on an antibiotic and Prednisone and is doing slowly better. Thanks for your interest.
Joseph Dooley
I am glad that you took Teddy to the vet, and I am glad that he is getting better.