Looking for a specific cat type

sbmarti2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I've joined for a specific reason. I am just finishing up university, and when I move out I'll be living in an apartment for a bit,then a condo afterwards. Once I move into the condo I am interested in getting a cat, because well... I don't need to explain the reasons. At my mom's house we have a 9 year old tabby cat, who is absolutely perfect in every way (except when he wakes me up at 6 in the morning
). We got him from a shelter as a kitten and he is everything you could want. However, at my dads house they have a 1 year old tabby cat, and he is not as much to my liking. He is an outdoor cat, but even before that he was always a little distant to people. One thing I will give him is that he has spunk!

When it comes to getting a cat for myself, there are a few things I want to take into consideration. I will work from 8-5 weekdays, and the cat will be alone during those hours. I am more than willing to play with it after I get home, but the type I get needs to be able to handle this. I would like a friendly cat who isn't shy and likes attention (I know this kind of contradicts my first point). Lastly, I'd like a big cat, although this isn't necessary, and I'd prefer a shorthair.

Specific cats I've researched that I've liked include the Exotic, the British Shorthair, the Bombay, and the Chartreux. They all have the characteristics I like, however I'm not sure about the fact that I'm not home during the day. Lastly, I am not opposed to getting two cats from the same litter, so they have company for each other. As for getting tabby cats from a shelter, that is fine, but I was planning to get specific breeds so I could predict what their behaviour will be like (although each cat is clearly individual).

Please excuse me for the long post, but it's hard to stop talking about a subject you are interested in.

Thanks,
Shawn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would recommend getting two ( same litter or not is your choice)

This may go better if in breeders corner

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Actually, although there are some likely characteristics with purebred cats, there are also huge variations within each breed, so I would consider going to a shelter and adopting an adult cat (or two, as you suggest already) whose behaviour and character is probably known to the staff there. Ask them and explain what you want and they will probably help you find exactly the right bundle of fur for you. You can then make several visits to get to know the cat(s) and see if you will suit each other. And it is never fair to leave a kitten alone all day, an adult will adapt better to that lifestyle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbmarti2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've thought of adopting an adult cat, because as you said, a kitten would probably be scared enough in a new environment, let alone being alone. Since I will be busy adult cats may be the best way, but the only issue then would be getting two cats that were compatible with each other... I suppose that may be the best option anyway, as I like the idea of getting a cat from a shelter.

Thanks!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and welcome to TCS. Its great that you are thinking about getting a kit from a shelter
I am sure you´ll also be able to find two older cats that are related, many shelters who take in siblings try to get them re-homed together, so you´ll be a welcome guest at many shelters

Well good luck with your search and keep us updated

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the shelter personel they often know who is compatable

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful that you are interested in adopting two adult cats from a shelter! I wish there were more people like you! Seems everyone just wants kittens because they are cute, never taking into consideration that the older ones need a home too. Plus older cats or even just adults will be better then the close supervision that a young kitten would need. If you walked into a shelter and told the worker that you are interested in adopting two adults, I am sure they would be SO HAPPY! There are many many cats that come in together (siblings, bonded pairs, mother /son or daughter, etc.) and are in the shelter forever because no one wants both.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there Shawn
we're so happy to welcome you to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions.

It's great that you're doing your research in advance. I would add support to the idea of getting two kitties to keep each other company while you're out at work. Lily was a lonely indoor kitty until we got Tolstoy - now they're inseparable.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbmarti2

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I've joined for a specific reason. I am just finishing up university, and when I move out I'll be living in an apartment for a bit,then a condo afterwards. Once I move into the condo I am interested in getting a cat, because well... I don't need to explain the reasons. At my mom's house we have a 9 year old tabby cat, who is absolutely perfect in every way (except when he wakes me up at 6 in the morning
). We got him from a shelter as a kitten and he is everything you could want. However, at my dads house they have a 1 year old tabby cat, and he is not as much to my liking. He is an outdoor cat, but even before that he was always a little distant to people. One thing I will give him is that he has spunk!

When it comes to getting a cat for myself, there are a few things I want to take into consideration. I will work from 8-5 weekdays, and the cat will be alone during those hours. I am more than willing to play with it after I get home, but the type I get needs to be able to handle this. I would like a friendly cat who isn't shy and likes attention (I know this kind of contradicts my first point). Lastly, I'd like a big cat, although this isn't necessary, and I'd prefer a shorthair.

Specific cats I've researched that I've liked include the Exotic, the British Shorthair, the Bombay, and the Chartreux. They all have the characteristics I like, however I'm not sure about the fact that I'm not home during the day. Lastly, I am not opposed to getting two cats from the same litter, so they have company for each other. As for getting tabby cats from a shelter, that is fine, but I was planning to get specific breeds so I could predict what their behaviour will be like (although each cat is clearly individual).

Please excuse me for the long post
, but it's hard to stop talking about a subject you are interested in.

Thanks,
Shawn
I am actually reading "War and Peace" now, and you call this long? Looking at my cats below you can see they are entirely different. Persi is a Himalayan with champion parents on both sides and a 9 month old male; while Alley is just that, a cat saved from the dumpster in an alley and shipped here to live with Persi and is a 2-3 year old female. I bring this up because right now they are laying here by my feet Persi with his head resting on Alley's neck. I take ten times as many pictures now as when I only had the one cat. I had a chance to get Persi's sister but at the time only wanted one cat. I think I was also a little stuck up and only wanted a pedigree of merit. I will not kid you, I was very worried whether these guys were ever going to get along but for me all has worked out better than ever imagined. One week after Alley arrived I was complaining about how they were getting along but the persistence of Persi won out. Ah, true love!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Shawn, my name is John, welcome to the site
Getting 2 cats is a good idea. They can keep each other compnay during those times when you may be away for long periods of time.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome Shawn

to TheCatSite and it sounds like you're going to make a wonderful cat caregiver, knowing exactly what you are looking for, loving cats, and all
. As you can see, we believe in big families here -- all of us are rescued, live indoors only, and are spayed/neutered, of course. We would advocate for a multicat household and for adopting from a shelter/sanctuary/adoption fair (like those held at PetsMart and Petco, for instance) or even from "the street" where all of us came from (well, seven from urban and two from here in the desert). You're so right
-- just because someone is purpose bred does not mean they will act like everyone else who's just alike on the outside; and most cats WILL bond to one another if you're patient, loving, and willing to give them a chance
. The forums here can help a lot with advice on that.

We sure do hope you'll open your heart and home to more than one cat
; and we'd encourage you to adopt two ADULT cats, too, who'd be more calm and adjust better to your being away during the day (not to mention needing good homes so much!)
. Can't wait to hear about your feline family, and see photos of them, too! THANKS AGAIN for caring about cats and wanting to adopt -- you're a star in our book!