Any remedies for cold sores

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any recommendations for non-medical treatment of cold-sores, I´ve managed to cultivate one right in the middle of my bottom lip
great for V-day eh !!!.............p.s. its very sore too

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever I have had a cold sore, I have used Abreva, it is kinda expensive but it is very good stuff, and it works pretty fast.

I buy it at Wal-Mart

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second abreva. It normally cuts 2 or 3 days off of a cold sore depending on how fast you use it. If you can start using it at the beginning of the tingle it's gone within a day or two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

Whenever I have had a cold sore, I have used Abreva, it is kinda expensive but it is very good stuff, and it works pretty fast.

I buy it at Wal-Mart
uummm kinda short of Walmarts in Spain
but will look out for it on my next trip to UK (Walmarts own Asda supermarkets now)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:censor::censor::censor::censor: that stinks..I am lucky enough that I don't get them so I am not sure..but I hope you get rid of it soon{{}}}

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

uummm kinda short of Walmarts in Spain
but will look out for it on my next trip to UK (Walmarts own Asda supermarkets now)
Do ya'll have drugstores where ever you are at? I am sure any drug store would sell it, the stuff is wonderful.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I second abreva. It normally cuts 2 or 3 days off of a cold sore depending on how fast you use it. If you can start using it at the beginning of the tingle it's gone within a day or two.
Yes it does, and you only hafta use a tiny little bit too, that is the only stuff I ever use, I am lucky I don't get them often.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

Do ya'll have drugstores where ever you are at? I am sure any drug store would sell it, the stuff is wonderful.
yep, think I´ll have to visit the pharmacy anyway - we are still in the dark ages here, none of our supermarkets sell any sort of medicines (they dont sell cigarettes either - which not a prob I dont smoke) The pharmacies are really old-fashioned too - nothing much on show, no browsing, you have to go and ask at the counter

Can you PM the list of ingredients, I often find that products do have different names here

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abreva is great...I use it, as I always get cold sores in the winter, and occassionally one will even pop up during the summer. It's really good stuff...and if you use it right when you feel one coming on, it will make life so much better!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat site friend recommended L-Lysine to me a long time ago and I take it twice a day and haven't had a cold sore in ages! I used to get them ALL the time but since I've started taking that even with any stresses I have, I don't get them.
I even had to get a prescription for them it got so bad. It's called Denavir. I have a new tube of it though and hardly used any out of it. It's probably expired. oh well, at least I don't get them anymore.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't like taking medication if I don't have to, and I know cold sores are terrible.

I finally decided to try Oragel. I know, it is not a medicine to help the sores go away, but it kills the pain on contact, inside the mouth or outside on the lips. Makes life a little easier until they go away.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

I really don't like taking medication if I don't have to, and I know cold sores are terrible.

I finally decided to try Oragel. I know, it is not a medicine to help the sores go away, but it kills the pain on contact, inside the mouth or outside on the lips. Makes life a little easier until they go away.
Abreva is not a medication that you take by mouth, it is a little tube of white cream.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started a thread about this not too long ago in the PL. I got a lot of great responses and suggestions. Here's what worked for me!:

Go to your pharmacy and get a bottle of L-lysine. Take one pill once a day.
While you're there, pick up this lip ointment called lysine plus.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...0&id=prod19500

It's not very expensive and it works soooooo well because it has lysine in it!
Mine healed in just 4 days. The second day of using the pill and ointment it looked the worst because it was healing faster- but it healed soooooo quick afterwards! Go get some! Walgreens sells it

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rather than buying a brand-name topical anti-viral cream, go to your pharmacist and ask for a generic 5% acycolvir cream. It will be loads cheaper than paying for a product with a brand-name, but will be the same contents in the tube

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I feel so bad for you, I have had cold sores ever since I was a child. As an adult I use Camphophinique to dry them up but I truly believe just like a cold it has to run it's own course. Good luck, hope it heals soon.