How to make him comfortable...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a new fur baby last night, and he's got some issues. He pulls his fur out when he is nervous or scared. We are taking him to the Vet on Monday, but how do I make him comfortable between now and then.

I was going to run out and get some Feliway today, but is there anything else I can do?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep him in one not-very-big place, with water, his box and a soft place to curl up. Try to not have people coming in and out of the room, but let him just relax and feel safe - could take days at least. When you go in with food, sit and talk quietly to him for a while, don't try to grab him or do anything with him. Give him time - it's the best thing.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww..............bless him
........ I can only endorse Larkes comments and send some soothing & calming (((((
vibes
))))) for the little man

Keep us posted ! and hope all goes well at the vets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Keep him in one not-very-big place, with water, his box and a soft place to curl up. Try to not have people coming in and out of the room, but let him just relax and feel safe - could take days at least. When you go in with food, sit and talk quietly to him for a while, don't try to grab him or do anything with him. Give him time - it's the best thing.
Thank you... he's come out for a bit and is looking for reassurance. I just keep telling him that he is loved and that it's okay to do what he wants. He just purrs and purrs and looks up at me with sad eyes.

As much as I love this it's a little heart breaking too.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can do is echo the soft talk idea. That's really the thing that was most key in getting Ferris comfortable when I brought him home, and he was one scared little feral baby.

Poor little Claw...he'll be ok, but it'll take a little bit (no pun intended) for him to adjust.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a feliway plug in that we don't need anymore, so if you don't want to fork out for one of them, let me know and I'll express it to you.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I remember from some of Hissy's posts that she suggests playing soft music, like classical music. I think this muffles outside noises and helps the little one stay calm.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pami recommended Bach's Rescue Remedy for Simon after his surgery two weeks ago. He was agitated, stressed and totally traumatized by everything.

I found it at a local GNC and health food store. It was 10 dollars for a small bottle. Pam told me to rub a small amount to the inside of his ears and on the pads of his paws. I can say it worked great. Within a half hour he had stopped growling, hissing and settled right down.

I highly recommend it.

http://www.bachflower.com/

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing great, just keep doing what you are doing, he just needs to know that you love him, just keep being calm with him.

I am sending prayers and hugs for ya'll from Mississippi that he gets to feeling better soon.

I think he is just scared of everything around him, he is probably not used to all the new stuff around him. He will do fine, I just know he will, with all the love that you are showing him, he will just do fine.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I have a feliway plug in that we don't need anymore, so if you don't want to fork out for one of them, let me know and I'll express it to you.
Thank you so much sweetie... I'm going to run out today and pick one up. With his fur pulling it's best to have one sooner than later.

Originally Posted by sharky

try vanilla extract under his nose
Will do.

Originally Posted by katachtig

I remember from some of Hissy's posts that she suggests playing soft music, like classical music. I think this muffles outside noises and helps the little one stay calm.
I have a Classical Music station on as I type this.

Originally Posted by snosrap5

Pami recommended Bach's Rescue Remedy for Simon after his surgery two weeks ago. He was agitated, stressed and totally traumatized by everything.

I found it at a local GNC and health food store. It was 10 dollars for a small bottle. Pam told me to rub a small amount to the inside of his ears and on the pads of his paws. I can say it worked great. Within a half hour he had stopped growling, hissing and settled right down.

I highly recommend it.

http://www.bachflower.com/
I work right next to a GNC so I'll go pick some up on Monday.

Originally Posted by LSULOVER

You are doing great, just keep doing what you are doing, he just needs to know that you love him, just keep being calm with him.

I am sending prayers and hugs for ya'll from Mississippi that he gets to feeling better soon.

I think he is just scared of everything around him, he is probably not used to all the new stuff around him. He will do fine, I just know he will, with all the love that you are showing him, he will just do fine.
Thank you!

Thank you everyone your advice right now is keeping me going.

He comes out for a good rub down when you talk softly to him, but he still isn't eating.

I think it's almost time to break out the tuna. I'm going to give him a few more hours.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When any of our kitties is distraught over anything (like after a vet visit), we always warm up a little saucer of KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) for them. They love it, of course... and we like to think they recognize the special treat as an expression of moral support.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

When any of our kitties is distraught over anything (like after a vet visit), we always warm up a little saucer of KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) for them. They love it, of course... and we like to think they recognize the special treat as an expression of moral support.
That is such a sweet idea. Kitty comfort food!
I'm definitely storing that idea for future use.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

same here, i have one i never used if you want it.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this, but thank you everyone.

We got back from the vet, he had fleas and a possible case of ringworm. Cross your fingers for me that the ringworm test comes back negative.