Your favourite cars (affordable!)

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm starting this thread as I'm in the process of car hunting and am looking for some good ideas.
I'm looking for an affordable hatchback. Looking for input

No Jaguars, please.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While not a hatchback we have a 2006 Mercury Milan (sister car to the Ford Fusion). Its a highly rated car by Consumer Reports too. Stylish, made in America, fairly inexpensive, the back seats do fold down and their is alot a cargo capacity!! (try $675 worth of perennials!!) . I know lots of people like the Ford Escape too.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I can already see how this thread will bug me..I am such a car snob

My top picks in order:

1. Honda Fit
2. Toyota Yaris
3. Nissan Versa

You know why too

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a GM girl

My last car was a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. It was AMAZING. Great to drive, really good gas mileage and tons of room for storage/passengers.

My car I have now, like I said in the last post, 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, is just as great. Even more room, very, very comfortable, great on gas mileage and just as much space inside. Plus, they look good

John has a Dodge Neon and thats a good car too, I had one for my 1st car, and talk about good gas mileage!! Drives good too, he loves it, and so do I! Its too small for me (I need a bigger car) but its a good car overall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

OMG I can already see how this thread will bug me..I am such a car snob

My top picks in order:

1. Honda Fit
2. Toyota Yaris
3. Nissan Versa

You know why too
Thought you might like it!

I have those three car pamphlets in my portable "New Automobile" file folder! I don't have the KIA because the salesman talk about the rear window defroster got me out the door before I could ask for one. The man literally followed me into the parking lot, too!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
May be a little bigger than what you were thinking of but the Honda CRV does have a rear hatchback of sorts. We have owned Hondas for over 20 years and wouldn't be without one. Their reliability and track record make them well worth it, plus good gas mileage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I'm a GM girl

My last car was a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. It was AMAZING. Great to drive, really good gas mileage and tons of room for storage/passengers.

My car I have now, like I said in the last post, 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, is just as great. Even more room, very, very comfortable, great on gas mileage and just as much space inside. Plus, they look good

John has a Dodge Neon and thats a good car too, I had one for my 1st car, and talk about good gas mileage!! Drives good too, he loves it, and so do I! Its too small for me (I need a bigger car) but its a good car overall.
My last car was a Plymouth Sundance aka. Dodge Shadow. That little guy was a work horse. My mom paid bottom dollar for it in '91 which included air-conditioning. I drove it to the east coast, to New Orleans, on various other road trips out of town. It had very little problems in regards to repairs. The engine went on it a few weeks ago, and there was no point in spending the money to fix it.

I haven't yet checked into the Neon route yet. I'm hesitant as my boyfriend inherited a Dodge Minivan when his dad passed away a few years back. It had a nest of troubles. I was concerned they weren't making those cars like they used to.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stay away from american made cars. They are cheap in quality and you get what you paid for. They are also more often in the shop. IMO that is. I just traded in my Toyota Corolla for a Mazda 3. I had so many problems, one after another that I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I now hate Toyota with a passion. I love my Mazda 3. Mazda has a Mazda 3 hatchback. It's also the top car in it's class and drives like a sports car without paying the price of one...not sure who else makes hatchbacks..

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love the Toyota Yaris, but like the sedan (with a trunk) version better than the hatchback.
My old car was a mid 90s Honda Civic hatchback, and I looooooved
that car. Im definately a foreign car lover as well...they tend to hold up better and longer.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Neely

May be a little bigger than what you were thinking of but the Honda CRV does have a rear hatchback of sorts. We have owned Hondas for over 20 years and wouldn't be without one. Their reliability and track record make them well worth it, plus good gas mileage.
Honda=

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I stay away from american made cars. They are cheap in quality and you get what you paid for. They are also more often in the shop. IMO that is. I just traded in my Toyota Corolla for a Mazda 3. I had so many problems, one after another that I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I now hate Toyota with a passion. I love my Mazda 3. Mazda has a Mazda 3 hatchback. It's also the top car in it's class and drives like a sports car without paying the price of one...not sure who else makes hatchbacks..
Another smart lady

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

I love the Toyota Yaris, but like the sedan (with a trunk) version better than the hatchback.
My old car was a mid 90s Honda Civic hatchback, and I looooooved
that car. Im definately a foreign car lover as well...they tend to hold up better and longer.
I have an 89 Accord, and it is a little beast..Never left me stranded once!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally am trying out the non-American myself. after two GM vehicles, the brakes were both worn out within a year (One car I even had to replace the brake set, but luckily it was still under warranty).

Anyhoo, I'm in a Honda Civic and overall like it. I would like to do a Hybrid car, but the breaks aren't enough to make it cost benefit (Yea I know the environment and stuff...still I can't afford the environment).

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I love my Mazda 3. Mazda has a Mazda 3 hatchback. It's also the top car in it's class and drives like a sports car without paying the price of one...not sure who else makes hatchbacks..
One of the best cars I have ever owned was a Mazda, paid $20 for the car, spent $400 fixing the suspension (it had suffered a mild front end collision), and never had a single problem with it.
But that was many years ago.
It was a 1981 Mazda GLC (also sold in the US as the Ford Fiesta).

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like my Jeep Liberty. There's cargo space plus the back seat folds down. It's a V6 and really kicks in when needed.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toyotas are fantastic cars. Did you know that the people who build them also have the say on how they are built, and they help design improvements and troublshoot problems? It makes a lot of sense, and the company is doing extremely well.

We've had a Toyota for over four years now, and have not had one single problem with it. They are well-designed and trouble-free cars. Ours still looks like new, inside and out.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch