Country Living

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This post is about a big pet peeve of mine, but before I start on that......I love living in the country. My neighbors are friendly but acres away and it's so peaceful....no hectic city pace.
I wouldn't trade it for a different place to live.........but.........one thing just bugs me to no end.
Country roads consist of alot of county routes where the speed limit is 55mph. These roads are intersected by tons of dirt roads and other primary roads. When I'm driving down the county routes at 60 mph or so, it never fails....someone will pull up on one of these side roads, come to a complete stop, then sit there for a long time as I am approaching the interesction at 60 mph, then inexplicably, they will pull out when I'm 100 yards away. Do they hit the throttle and move out as if the devil is after them?
Hell no...they haven't a care in the world and 35 mph seems to be approaching Nascar speed for them.
This gives me a fit, so before/during and after braking, I am cursing like a new york cabbie.
I STILL haven't been able to figure out the logic behind this scenario, but it happens to me EVERY single day. I'm tempted to spray paint the front of my truck with this in bright orange : Caution, ma brakes ain't werkin!

Can any of y'all country folks relate?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

This post is about a big pet peeve of mine, but before I start on that......I love living in the country. My neighbors are friendly but acres away and it's so peaceful....no hectic city pace.
I wouldn't trade it for a different place to live.........but.........one thing just bugs me to no end.
Country roads consist of alot of county routes where the speed limit is 55mph. These roads are intersected by tons of dirt roads and other primary roads. When I'm driving down the county routes at 60 mph or so, it never fails....someone will pull up on one of these side roads, come to a complete stop, then sit there for a long time as I am approaching the interesction at 60 mph, then inexplicably, they will pull out when I'm 100 yards away. Do they hit the throttle and move out as if the devil is after them?
Hell no...they haven't a care in the world and 35 mph seems to be approaching Nascar speed for them.
This gives me a fit, so before/during and after braking, I am cursing like a new york cabbie.
I STILL haven't been able to figure out the logic behind this scenario, but it happens to me EVERY single day. I'm tempted to spray paint the front of my truck with this in bright orange : Caution, ma brakes ain't werkin!

Can any of y'all country folks relate?
I grew up in a country area and learned to drive on dirt roads. I not only can relate to this, but I can still recall some choice words that I had for the people who used to do it to me.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What, are they stupid? I understand why you get annoyed. It's dangerous. why not at least wait till you pass!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TOTALLY.

Our other peeve? Hilly country roads, where they sometimes have two lanes on the upgrade side so cars can pass slow moving trucks/farm vehicles having trouble with the grade. And some idiot pulls out to the left lane - and doesn't pass the car or truck in front of him that is still in the right lane. What the heck is that all about?

Sometimes you just really do understand road rage - even in the country!

Laurie

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a country person, but I experience something similar here in Los Angeles. While driving on a main street, approaching an intersection where I am traveling at a nice pace, someone from the side street waits until I'm almost at the intersection and then decides to pull on to the major street, causing me to either slam on my brakes and/or move into the next lane, to avoid hitting them.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I know the feeling! I hate it when there is an intersetion on a gravel road & no stop/yield sign there at all! It scares the daylights outta me & I know darn well everybody else around here thinks they own the road & won't stop/slow down.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't noticed the problem you described around here, but we do have a lot of curves, and at those curves, people drive on the wrong side as they are turning. We lived in front of one of those curves and am completely amazed we didn't see any accidents out front - lots of close calls but never an accident.

But the worst time was when my husband took my brand new (OK 9 months old) car out to pick up dinner one late afternoon. He was on the outside of the curve and the car coming at him was halfway in his lane. As hubby swerved to avoid him, he hit the ditch and flipped the car over, totalling the car (he wasn't hurt thank heavens). The *sshole didn't even stop, and no one was home in the houses on that corner, so he hitched a ride home and called the police from there. The police yelled for leaving the accident. The good thing was that we were with the police by the wreck when the homeowners came home, supporting our story that we tried to call from there.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really can't stand it when people drive way under the speed limit.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I really can't stand it when people drive way under the speed limit.
Or they don't gauge your speed and pull out in front of you going half your speed..and you have to slam on your brakes

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Tristan lives out in the country (i'm in the burbs about an hr drive from him) so i've spent the last 1.5 years seeing the morons who speed around there. You would think all the true locals would be nice and move to the side of the road to let you past? No. Or slow down around the corner. The dirts roads are only wide enough for one car to move. ugh another thing that annoys me (i must be a country girl now that im whining lol) there is a weekly market near Tristans house, and it's full of hippies and tourists. The people who arent local park anywhere they can, halfway onto the main road so other cars cant pass. Then because there are hundreds of people there half of them walk casually down the middle of the road!!! You spend half the time honking the horn and driving at a mile an hour trying to get past them...and yes, there are dirt tracks next to the cars where people can move out of the way!!!!

*grumble*

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the people who seem to be in such a hurry to pull out in front of you (no one behind me!!) drive about 20 mph and then turn off about 1 minute later!!
Our roads are all paved but with have alot of farm equipment on the roads and some of the pieces (the combines) take up almost both lanes of the road and you can't pass!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One time we were driving down a country road, rounded a hill and were confroted by some farmer driving this HUGE machine which took up the ENTIRE road. We had to screech to the side to avoid getting smooshed and this MORON just smiles and waves at us!!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have that problem when on major thoroughfares. People pull out in front of me when there is nobody behind me. Honestly, that big old van can go faster than you think.

But I might be the one you'd be cussing at for not driving 60mph on a gravel road. I have a tendency to read speed limit signs and try not to drive more than 5mph over. Silly, I know... (I've also been injured by flying gravel as someone sped by me when walking on the gravel road to my grandparents.)