401K question...

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I have a 401K from my old job... as a teacher, my money doesn't go into a 401K, I think it goes into a 403b or something.

My question is this: is there a way to get the money from the 401K without it being a loan, just to close the 401K? I know that I'd lose a lot because I'm taking it out before time but... it's a real emergency situation, as best as I can figure.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Canada, I think that is the same as an RRSP. If it is, you can take the money out, but will pay full tax on it.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, you can withdraw money from it, but they charge you a 10% (ish) penalty and if you are withdrawing everything in it, hold about 20% for whatever tax penalties may have to be paid as you have used it against your taxes so they will advise against it but you can take it with the penalties etc

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can close out a 401(k) and get the money straight out, but you will definitely take a big hit on the taxes. Still, if you NEED the money, it is YOUR money and you can get it out.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

You can close out a 401(k) and get the money straight out, but you will definitely take a big hit on the taxes. Still, if you NEED the money, it is YOUR money and you can get it out.
I think that is the way that it is, I think you might can take a certain per cent of it without being penalized though, but I am not sure about that. My husband had a 401K before and it seems like we took some of it out when our daughter got married.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Okay I figured out the number to talk to someone (obviously can't do anything financial until Monday) and it is 20%. But yes, I think I need the money... sigh. Thanks guys.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do cash in, be sure to hold some back in case you owe the IRS next year.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. Good point.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I believe it is treated as regular income, so if it pushes you into a higher tax bracket, you are getting doubly socked. Have you looked into other things like equity loans?

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Okay I have a 401K from my old job... as a teacher, my money doesn't go into a 401K, I think it goes into a 403b or something.

My question is this: is there a way to get the money from the 401K without it being a loan, just to close the 401K? I know that I'd lose a lot because I'm taking it out before time but... it's a real emergency situation, as best as I can figure.
The quick and easy answer is this (catching a plane any minute now)...

When you leave a job, it is almost a blessing. You can roll your entire 401K into an IRA with any company you like: Fidelity, Vanguard, etc. So when you figure out which company and funds you like, talk to that company and they will walk you through the steps of rolling it into the IRA. Whatever you do, do NOT withdraw the money yourself to do this. They money should be transfered directly from your 401K company to the new IRA company.

Gotta run...

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a loan on my 401k and I am in the process of obtaining a withdrawal due to financial difficulties. I know that I am going to taxed to death on it but I really need the money.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I believe it is treated as regular income, so if it pushes you into a higher tax bracket, you are getting doubly socked. Have you looked into other things like equity loans?
It probably wouldn't put me into a higher tax bracket, I think after whatever gets taken out it'll be like $1500 or so.

I already have a loan but it's pretty much maxed out and I don't want to get in even more debt, you know?

markvg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can take a loan from your 401k (up to 50% of your vested amount) and pay it back without a tax penalty. The thing with this is you don't get the interest on the money because it is not there.

You can close the 401k and take a lump sum. You then have up to sixty days to get it back into another account like an IRA.

If you don't put the money into another retirement account you will have to pay taxes on the entire amount based on your tax bracket. You will also pay another 10% on top of that because of the early withdrawal.

I think the 20% that people are talking about is what the 401k plan will withhold in anticipation of your having to pay taxes. It is not like you will be taxed 20% but you are taxed on your tax bracket.

I went through this about 14 years ago and didn't have to 20% withheld, so I think that is something that you can waive.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by markvg

If you don't put the money into another retirement account you will have to pay taxes on the entire amount based on your tax bracket. You will also pay another 10% on top of that because of the early withdrawal.

I think the 20% that people are talking about is what the 401k plan will withhold in anticipation of your having to pay taxes. It is not like you will be taxed 20% but you are taxed on your tax bracket.
Okay this is getting complicated. All this math makes me not want to do it! So how do I figure out how much taxes I'll have to pay if it's relevant to my tax bracket?

markvg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Okay this is getting complicated. All this math makes me not want to do it! So how do I figure out how much taxes I'll have to pay if it's relevant to my tax bracket?
That's a good question. It is a complicated formula. If you want to get a big headache, the information is here: http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article...164272,00.html

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So taxable income meaning how much is in the 401k? Because in that case, the 401k is not over $7000 (boy do I wish it were even close) so then it'd be 10%. Plus the other 10%?

markvg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, if you look at that chart, you can see how, as previously stated by Momofmany, you could be bumped into a higher tax bracket and that will cause more taxes on all your income.

markvg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

So taxable income meaning how much is in the 401k? Because in that case, the 401k is not over $7000 (boy do I wish it were even close) so then it'd be 10%. Plus the other 10%?
Nope. The tax bracket is your total income which would be bumped up by the $7000.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it barely puts me in the next tax bracket... but that being said, next year I plan on getting a teaching job that pays more (plenty of schools do) so in that case, I'd end up in the next bracket anyway. So then it doesn't matter, right?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know if you can take a partial w/d. You will be taxed and whoever handles the 403b(not your employer) they will charge you also. It really truely isn't worth it. Best bet is to take a personal loan or loan against the 403b. If the company tells you that you have to close the 403b completely make sure you seek out a financial advisor asap to reinvest the left over money. As long as it goes into a "qualified" plan you will not be penalized on what you reinvest.