All the info on/ Abys/Egyptian maus/and siamese.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One day I plan to get a friend for Bindi. It might might two years from now it might be nine. If all goes well in my struggles for survival in this crazy world we live in http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...lies/agree.gif I will be working as an Art Teacher/fiction writer, and will be living in an appartment. Can Abys/egyptian mau's/old type siemease live in a small apartment provided they are harness trained, taken for walks and into a classroom(if things go over well I plan to have some of my pets in my classrom while I teach art. When I was in school sometimes teachers had their pets in their classrooms and I really liked that). Are these kinds good around 13-14 year olds/ do they handle these kinds on condictions well.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/confused.gif

If I'm a fiction writer I'll probably stay at home most of the time would these breeds do better this way or the other.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/confused.gif

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your links don't work for me, sorry, so I really can't quite reply to your question!

Will answer fully when I can relate to the links!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those are just internet icons ( smily face ,concerns, vie emotions) I have not posted any "links" In this internet age its the sideshoot of what humans would be doing naturally if they were talking face to face.

You can feel free to say what you need to without any worying of links.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/wink.gif

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

Those are just internet icons ( smily face ,concerns, vie emotions) I have not posted any "links" In this internet age its the sideshoot of what humans would be doing naturally if they were talking face to face.

You can feel free to say what you need to without any worying of links.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/wink.gif
Off topic, but I wonder why you are getting the links instead of the smileys. If you just click on the smiley you want it should just come in as a smiley and not a link.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I"m not sure of the egyptian maus - not super familiar with them. Friend of my had a silver one - but that one was shy and hated showing; so I dont' know if its typical or not.

In the recent show there was one smoke kitten, and also was not really outgoing in the ring either.

The aby/siamese are very active cats and should be ok to bring in classroom/kids. Better yet the ocicat would work well - they have the aby/siamese personality; are very active; love attention; very trainable. However, they do need to have a companion cat or dog unless you can meet their needs as an only cat. If they have to be alone alot, they will get bored/in trouble, so keep that in mind. I'm assuming the same goes for the aby in that regard - they don't like being single cats

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, no they wont be alone in class I'll either bring them together(or leave them at home if supervisior minds). I'm aware that siemease are very needy cats and abys are very needy ones also, Bindi is a mix though he probably has alot in common with these breeds. Thank you on the info on egyptian maus I didnt know they were shy.

Yosemite, I have no idea why I dont have the faces on my posts the way you guys do, I will check into it. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/confused.gif

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I get it.

Aby's will be perfect for your needs...BUT, you do need more than the one cat. They are less vocal than siamese. I would even suggest a retired show cat. Abys are well known as hospice workers!
drop me a pm if you can't get more info in Abys!

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've always liked the looks of applehead siamese but not the personlity. They are too loud and needy. But they are so beutiful,choc and blue point are my favrote types. Abys do seem like a good choice for when my life is put together. I watched a tv show on animal planet once about a mother Aby and her pregnacy,kittening and the kittens going to new homes, she got a raw diet and lots of tlc. it was a great show.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
snowshoes are quiter than siamese with the same look and personality

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Frankie my little abby boy would thrive on a social setting. He loves everyone. He is harness and leach trained and begs to go for rides in the truck!! He plays navigator on the middle console of the truck! Abbys are awesome cats!

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll get one when the time is right. Visited my school today to learn about the job and meet friends and teacher's. I found out alot depnds on the school I work for/the princapals veiws on having animals in classrooms. It was fun to be there but also dishearting that some of the teachers I wanted gto visit were sick and I felt akward seeing people I'd never thought I see again. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/rolleyes.gif I read them some of my wild adventure writing, about prehistoric survival and a mans quest to recue his mnate from the claws of .

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want a quiet cat then don't go for a Siamese. I have an oriental kitten (same as siamese but a different range of colours, not colourpoint) and he gives a constant running commentary to the day.

He complains and grumbles if he is disturbed from a nap, yowls if he wants my attention, shouts when he is looking for something, and when I call him he answers. Whenever I talk to him he has something to say back to me, he loves a good conversation. It really is from the moment he wakes to the moment he sleeps. Personally I love that, but if you find constant noise irritating then avoid!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Half of my rexes were like that - the other half were quiet talkers

Charlie is a mix - he chirps sometimes, will answer you if you ask questions and does a modern commetary of the day. His latest thing is to grab the kitchen dishcloth or towel and carry it into the other room.

I'm gonna teach him how to wash and dry dishes

winter hawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure exactly what you are wanting to know about the cats.....just what type of personality they have? Or their behavior towards other people? Or how sociable they are? We currently have both a male and female Mau, if you can be more specific what you are wanting to know.......I can perhaps tell you what you need to know.

Winter Hawk

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah how are they around people/children. I'm fixing to be either an Art Teacher or a stay at home Fiction Writer when I grow up. I heard from other people on here that they are shy. I want an outgoing cat but not a loud one. I like their looks but personality is more importent to me. How big do egyptian mau's get? ( Bindi my cat isnt very big maybe oh say 8 or 9 pounds,but he's still growing)How long do they live? Do they have health probelms due to the breed?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know too many mau's but I get the impression they are not really all that outgoing. I think they are average size - 7-9 lbs. They would live about as long as most other breeds that are kept indoors - mid teens.

Why not attend a local cat show (CFA, ACFA, or TICA) and talk to breeders and meet some of the breeds you are interested in to make up you mind which one to go for.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah thats what I'm thinking of too. My opinion of an egyptian mau is becoming that the breed is a quiet shy cat that doesnt do well in cat shows. Not that I am ever going to show/breed cats/too many innocent kittens die because of homes already. Its too much work for me to do though maybe when I get older for a fun project. I may foster a pregnant cat and her kittens. I'm going to be vulnertering at my local humane society in a few months
I wouldnt do well with a shy cat and he/she would handle being in a classroom very well. I'm wondering if you can take a cat/dog on the city bus as long as he/she is in a carrier or controlled well. I have a visual handicap and cannot legaly drive the city bus will probably be my only way to work.

winter hawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

Yeah how are they around people/children. I'm fixing to be either an Art Teacher or a stay at home Fiction Writer when I grow up. I heard from other people on here that they are shy. I want an outgoing cat but not a loud one. I like their looks but personality is more importent to me. How big do egyptian mau's get? ( Bindi my cat isnt very big maybe oh say 8 or 9 pounds,but he's still growing)How long do they live? Do they have health probelms due to the breed?
Panther pride,

Both of our Mau's are fine with children, especially the male *Amaudeus* he came to us shortly after our first grandson was born. Ami was 4 months old when we brought him home from the breeder and from the moment that he first laid eyes on our grandson *Jordan*......he was a constant companion with Jordan. If Jordan took a nap.......he was sleeping close to him. Perhaps it was his age and he just grew up with Jordan whom will turn 2 years old the first of March. Amaudeus turned two years old the first of December. He has absolutely no fear of strangers......or anything for that matter as long as he is in familiar territory.....like his home. If we were plannning on taking him out in public, then I don't think that there would have been a problem .....IF.....we had started doing that on a regular basis from the beginning of him coming home with us. I will say that the breeder that we got both of our Mau's from is very concerned with their ability to adapt to being out of their normal realm. We spoke with numerous people that raise Mau's and during the many hours of conversation on the phone with them you can learn a lot about how a person socializes their cats. For me........personally, I don't think that I would ever be as happy with the personality of a mau from anyone else's cattery. That being said.......which probably isn't a fair statement because I haven't owned a Mau from another cattery.....I would still stick by my opinion. The second cat that we got from the same cattery was shown up until she *Echo* didn't like the show circuit anymore. What I mean by this is that she really liked the attention that the show ring brought up until she got around 9 months old and then all of a sudden she didn't like it anymore.....perhaps the smells of other whole cats.....or just that she didn't like being handled the way that show cats are handled.......who knows? The most important thing to me about the breeders decision to stop showing Echo.......was that.....they didn't want to put any undo stress on the cat that wasn't necessary. THAT...in itself confirmed what I had already known down deep inside. The breeder wanted what was BEST for the cat........not for themselves in being able to say that she had achieved a certain amount of points towards a championship. From the birth of Echo.....who'm was an only kitten in the litter.....I told the breeder that IF......they ever wanted to part with her that we were willing to give her a loving.......forever home. We got her last fall.....towards the end of October and she was almost 9 months old and still whole because of her being in the show circuit. I wanted to let her settle into her new home before subjecting her to such a thing as a spay.....but I didn't quite get my wish. She seemed to get along well with the other cats but after being here 2 days she came into her first heat cycle.....and it was a full-blown SCREAMING heat cycle. I contacted the breeder and told them of my change in plans of waiting to get her spayed and wanting to get it done as soon as possible. I scheduled her for her spay 5 days after arriving in our home and things went very well. She got along fine with the surgery and has long since healed completely. As for her personality......she is more reserved around small children. She isn't afraid of them......she lays within reach of them and just watches them. She doesn't run when they approach her but she won't tolerate a lot of goings on very close to her by the grandson. It is very hard to describe the personality of a mau.......but I will give it a go. They are very intelligent cats, along with being very FAST. They are very strong-willed when they want something and have a hard time accepting the fact that they don't always get their way. They are very loving cats, but don't like being picked up and carried around to far. If they want some lovin'........they will let you know and will not leave you alone until you give them some. Both Amaudeus and Echo sleep in bed with my wife and I most every night, most of the time between our legs down towards our feet. Sometimes Amaudeus likes to sleep under the covers on my wife's side of the bed and when they sleep they aren't to bothered by you moving around......they stay put. As far as being vocal, I have never heard either of them hiss at anything, but I will tell you that if they find something new in the house.......like a bug.......or something that normally isn't there they really won't meow....but make bird lilke sounds to let you know that something is there. The female is much more vocal than the male is and when they get into wrestling matches she makes all the noise. They are very observant and don't miss a thing.....its like they watch to see what the results of something is going to be and most generally they forget NOTHING. They are like Ninja's, they move about the house without making a sound and can get themselves anywhere they want to be. They are both very loving and as I said, they have never met a stranger as long as the stranger is in THEIR territory. I, personally think that the males are much more laid back than the females, but that is true across breeds......or at least it is in our house. I don't think that I would ever own just one cat........especially not a Mau......because if they don't have another feline in the house, I am sure that they would get into things that you wouldn't want them to.....especially if you are absent from the house for several hours at a time. My wife and I have been owned by cats for practically all of our lives........and when we got our first Mau from the breeder we told them that....their comment to us was......" You haven't ever seen anything like a Mau". They were right, just when you think that you have seen it all.......they will do something else to amaze you. I hope this answers some of your questions. I think that cats all have individual personalities, BUT, the breeder has quite an influence on the outcome of the adult cat. AND....that is the key to having a secure, unafraid........sociable adult pet of any kind.

Winter Hawk

P.S. If you have any other questions........please don't hesitate to ask.

........Gets off soapbox............

winter hawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woops.......forgot something

Amaudeus is around 13 lbs.........and Echo is much smaller boned and is 10 lbs.
They don't have any health problems that I am aware of, but I would ask the breeders that you enquire to about that. As for how long they live......I hope FOREVER