Why exactly do cats scratch cat posts?

armani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ask this because when I first got my kitten, for months he wouldnt mess with it. Now I feel like I got my money's worth because he's tearin it up!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Armani

I ask this because when I first got my kitten, for months he wouldnt mess with it. Now I feel like I got my money's worth because he's tearin it up!
This sounds like the old dog joke that I will not repeat here "because they can" but truthfully, he is older now and can see that something is being accomplished by using the scratching post. It probably feels real good to him now, too whereas when he was so small he would have hardley noticed it. Also nature steps in here too because as they get older they have a need for the posts (psycological or otherwise). My Persi was EXACTLY the same way. But even now, both of my cats like the cardboard box ones that just lay on the floor at times. I have placed our post directly in front of the litter box and as they exit the litter box they can use the post to remove any litter from their little paws giving a second benefit.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats in the wild scratch on things to mark their territory. There are scent glands in the pads of their feet and that transfers on the thing they are scratching on. It also helps sharpen their claws and shed any loose claw covers to keep them in good hunting form. It's very instinctual with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

armani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
nice. thanks for the honest reply guys! Is this what happens when my cat armani paws his bed and purrs at the same time. I dont know how to describe it. He sits there and starts kinda pawing his bed like he's fluffing his pillow or something lol

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Armani

nice. thanks for the honest reply guys! Is this what happens when my cat armani paws his bed and purrs at the same time. I dont know how to describe it. He sits there and starts kinda pawing his bed like he's fluffing his pillow or something lol
Now that is kneeding. Kittens do that when they suckle their mom and a lot of adult cats do it when they are very contented or in a comfy place.

Armani sounds like a wonderful boy!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitties also like to scratch on upright stuff because it gives them a good stretch. Watch your kitten the next time he's scratching, he'll stretch his shoulders and back when he reaches his paws up.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Now that is kneeding. Kittens do that when they suckle their mom and a lot of adult cats do it when they are very contented or in a comfy place.

Armani sounds like a wonderful boy!
Kneeding is sooooooo cute

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

armani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol! HE does stretch when he's on the post and yeah he kneeds alot. Thanks for clueing me in on this, didnt know that's what it was for though I had an idea of it. He loves his "loofer" which is a funnel shaped round cat bed. I clean it once a week so it keeps it's softness. I mean the fabric that goes around the actual shape.

firebirdmagic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As far as kneeding goes, I have one (Orion) who does it to my belly all the time. It's uncomfortable for me, as he uses his nails too. I've heard that when they walk about they're beds, it's instinctual to rid they're sleeping places of mites or fleas. They all use the scratch boxes I have, but, that's a great idea about putting one in front of the litter box. Mike, Medford, Or.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by firebirdmagic

As far as kneeding goes, I have one (Orion) who does it to my belly all the time. It's uncomfortable for me, as he uses his nails too.
It helps some if you keep the cats claws trimmed. Occasionally Tomas will try to claw at my back or something when I'm sleeping. His blunt claws don't hurt, infact he gives a pretty good back scratching.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was told if your cat goes outside its not a good idea to keep there paws trimed. as we have a cat here who tears up everything lol. its not a problem though.