When you clean your litter boxes......

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I the only one who, after scooping out the litter boxes, proceeds to smooth out the litter in there so that a) it looks nice and tidy and b) when I look later to see if it needs cleaning or not, I can tell if someone has been in it and used it?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

Am I the only one who, after scooping out the litter boxes, proceeds to smooth out the litter in there so that a) it looks nice and tidy and b) when I look later to see if it needs cleaning or not, I can tell if someone has been in it and used it?
We shake it so it evens out. Both DH and I are a bit obsessive about it. When ever we go into the bathroom and we see litter up on the sides of the box you'll hear a shake coming out of the bathroom.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I smooth it out with the scoop after I'm done scooping. Yup.

I don't know why I do it, habit I always thought. But maybe i do like the tidy look of it before someone comes along and uses it.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not alone, I even it out to. When I clean it , its always on the sides in piles so I figure she gets a clean start

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I thought that was what you were supposed to do!!
Me too, never thought of doing it any other way.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I thought that was what you were supposed to do!!
Me, too. Plus, it makes it easier to tell at a glance whether the box has been used since the last scooping. The cat(s) can also have fun rearranging the litter to their liking.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Me, too. Plus, it makes it easier to tell at a glance whether the box has been used since the last scooping. The cat(s) can also have fun rearranging the litter to their liking.
Me three!
I've always leveled the litter out evenly in the box for as long as I can remember.....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave it somewhat piled towards the back because they'll pile it all towards the front after the first use anyways. I guess I sort of unintentionally leave it prepiled so the next cat in doesn't have to dig, only bury.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shake it out so it looks nice and clean. One of the litter boxes is in my room so I try to make it look as good as it can.

markvg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're supposed to clean it out?

Little Buddy taught me many years ago he likes to have the litter box smoothed out. He would even wait until it was done.

He's having trouble getting to the litter box now but it is just how he likes it when he does get there!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I must confess, DH and I smooth it out too. Since most members agree that they smooth it out this must say something about cat people.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got thru doing it. I have a toy garden rake that someone gave me as a joke. Turns out it's the neatest thing!

I have trouble bending so I use a long handled scoop. Actually it's a big litter scoop with a long handle taped to the end of it. Makes my life a lot easier.

After scooping and flushing I use the rake to smooth things out. I also agree it's a good way of knowing at a glance if the box has been used.

My brother teases me because I am the only person he knows that keeps a rake in the bathroom.