Worried about Casey sorry longish

bonib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On January 27 as I was cleaning litter pans. I noticed my 7yro male cat Casey was initiating the new clean litter box. I have 5 cats and one of them always has to be the first after each cleaning, I just thought today it is Casey's turn. I then noticed that he was there quite a while and finally got out of the pan. Then he got back on again and then once again. I was downstairs doing laundry which is in the same vicinity as the litter pans. I finally got quite curious after about 5 trips and went to investigate the litter box. There was very little urine clumps only one about the size of the tip of my little finger.

I called our vet and they had my bring him in the vet felt his bladder and said that it was empty but by Casey's reaction he was tender. He gave him a shot of steroids and sent us home with antibiotics. On Monday Feb 2 I still noticed him going to the pan a lot and the results seem to be a little more encouraging . But he still seemed to be struggling. He is eating, drinking and cleaning himself which I consider good signs. I decided to call vet again to see if it normally took this long for things to get better. The vet told me that it can take a while for this to clear up. I was to keep an eye on him. Once again things were encouraging my husband watched him go yesterday and said the clump was the size of a quarter or a little bit larger. I'm like YEAH! maybe we are on the home stretch. But then tonight my husband once again watched him try about 3 pt 4 times with very little results. Casey is still eating and cleaning himself. The only thing I seem to notice is that he seems to be wandering a little more than usual.

Tomorrow a.m. I will call vet again and insist he check to see if his bladder is emptying. But between now and then I am really concerned. He is still taking antibiotics. Am I being too impatient and not giving medicine the time it needs to make things better. It just seems like he should be able to go better by now. He is resting comfortably at the moment so I am a little
comforted by that

I just needed someone to talk to about this. Thanks for listening and any advice would be appreciated.

bonib

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely take him back to the vet. Not being able to urinate can be a medical emergency. Did the vet do a urinalysis? If so, did the vet find crystals? Sometimes a food change is necessary to eliminate crystals from the urine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No he did not take a urine sample. We have been going to the same vet clinic for 30 years and they have always been right in their diagnosis. So I don't usually question them on their treatment plan. But I will definitely ask him to do urine sample tomorrow. I am now a little curious as to why he didn't last week. Maybe because Casey's bladder was empty. Thank you for your reply. As I said before it helps to talk to someone who understands the worry I am feeling at this moment. I just feel so helpless while waiting for the a.m to get here to get him in. Take care and wish me luck tomorrow!
bonib

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sending prayers and hugs from Mississippi for you and for Casey, I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

bonib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You LSULOVER,

Casey is at the Vets as I write this. My husband took him about 20 minutes ago. He still seems to be acting ok so I'm still hoping that is a good sign. So we should know something soon. Take care and thanks again for your kind words.

bonib

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bonib

Thank You LSULOVER,

Casey is at the Vets as I write this. My husband took him about 20 minutes ago. He still seems to be acting ok so I'm still hoping that is a good sign. So we should know something soon. Take care and thanks again for your kind words.

bonib
Please let us know something when your husband gets back home with him.

Hang in there, I am sure everything will be ok.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely sounds like a crystal problem to me. That's what happened with our boy, and the vet gave us two courses of antibiotics before finally doing a urine analysis.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Healing headbuts for Casey and soooothing, calming licks for you from KittenKiya's Clan.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Definitely sounds like a crystal problem to me.
I agree. Middle aged male cats are more prone to them than others and yours is right in that age range. I know you trust your vet, but you need to ask about this. Often you will need to change their diets to help the condition, as antibiotics may not be enough.

Keep us posted please!! Poor baby!!

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor little guy. Yeah, they may have been unable to extract urine during the first visit, if his bladder was empty. My kitty is about the same age and had a urinary issue recently, so I know how you feel. Keep us posted!

bonib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Casey's bladder was empty once again. I wasn't able to go to the Vet with husband and the Dr. Still didn't do a urine sample. He gave Casey another steroid shot and another 10 more days of Baytril. He told my husband that for some reason Casey is having bladder spasms and there can be many reasons. One of which is stress. I am concerned about this because one of our other cats Neko picks on Casey. Not fighting but he definitely has his bluff in on Casey. (Which is odd because Casey DEFINITElY has his bluffin on our Dog Noel who is twice as big as Casey.) We had Casey before we got the other 4 cats and I know that was traumatic at the time for him but I felt in time he would get over it. But now I'm not so sure. We have had ther other four for 2 years now so this is not a new situation for Casey.

Neko is a very sweet cat but for some reason he and Casey just do not get along. Casey will usually leave when Neko gets to close. We do intervene and divert Neko away from Casey if we see what looks like a sticky situation. But we are not always around.

I am relieved that Dr. doesn't think Casey has Crystals in urine. But I hate the thought that he is stressed and depressed and this could be causing his spasms. Any suggestions out there for when you have 2 cats that don't get along and one is distressing the other.

I can't tell you how much all of your support has helped me through this. Our Cats are our babies and when one of them is sick. We get so worried and concerned and it helps so much to talk with others who feel the same way and understand. Anyway thanks again for all of your help.

Bonnie

bonib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Momofmany,
You mentioned diet change. What do you suggest? The Vet did mention the chrystals each time we went. But he doesn't seem to think this is it. We will continue to watch very closely and will get him right back in if things aren't better in a couple of days. Thanks again!

PaulaS your Alley looks exactly like my little stinker Neko. I'm so sorry for your loss!
bonib