My Mixy...

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you might remember that I told you that cats are now coming around and Mixy isn't spayed yet. I'm afraid that I notice that her tummy is again getting a little bigger. She had her kitty (kittens, don't know). If she gave birth on December 31 and may be already pregnant, will it affect her spay on February 19? If it has already happened and she is, how within these 2 months will she be far along to do anything? I really don't know if and when she became pregnant. As I've said, she is an outdoor kitty. She really gets nervous when she is inside. She starts scratching the door and even knocking on the door with her head so we can let her out.
Thanks.
Angie

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she got pregnant in the past four weeks or less, a spay/abort is still advisable and very do-able. Anything more than 4 weeks (IMO) should be discussed with your vet though I have heard of terminations at 6-8 weeks. IMO, the most pregnant she could be if she delivered on Dec 31 is around 3 weeks - I haven't heard of cats going into heat any earlier than 2 weeks after delivery. So, she could be about 4 weeks pregnant max by Feb 19.

Is there anyway you could push the spay date any earlier?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, they tell me that there is no space available before that day.
I have to take her with them because I already got a discount coupon for that vet.

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I would keep her indoors until the 19th and have her spayed. Painful for you, painful for her...but for the time being, she needs protected from the tom cats that could not only get her pregnant (which is really bad so soon after giving birth) but also could harm her if she isn't receptive to mating. Seriously, outdoors is DANGER for her right now. I know it's a pain, but I can't stress enough how important it is that she stay inside for the next week or so (until she recovers from her spay).

If you allow an unaltered cat outdoors and try to wait for the perfect time for her not to be pregnant, that time will never come. They are induced ovulators and she will continue to get pregnant if she is around males. I would do the spay on the 19th, if at all possible. For her health. (actually, given the circumstances...I would probably just pay more if I could get a nearby vet to do it earlier. But that may not be an option for you)

Good luck to you, I know it is difficult when they really want out. But sometimes you have to think more about their health than enjoyment.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get a large crate or confine her to the bathroom or a laundry room or something similar until she can get spayed. Just because she wants out doesn't mean you should let her. She has got to stay in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that I should keep her inside but she really doesn't like it inside. We take her to the garage during the winter but she doesn't want to be in there and she calls for us to take her out. I can't wait for the spay to be over!
Angie

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do keep her inside regardless of how much she hates it - it is much safer for her, you also dont know what the males are carrying. Plus, if she is pregnant again and the vet wont spay, you will have to keep her in, as it is so close to the previous pregnancy, it could be harder on her.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by angier106

that I should keep her inside but she really doesn't like it inside. We take her to the garage during the winter but she doesn't want to be in there and she calls for us to take her out. I can't wait for the spay to be over!
Angie
Angie...is your vet able to find you a closer date?? I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that they are able to spay your girl because in your particuliar situation, I think it's just best for her and for you that she is spayed.

Katie