Band Geeks

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do we have any band geeks (or for the cool kids, members of the band) here?
I played percussion in elementary and in my old high school concert band. I wish my new school had band, but they don't since only 30 kids go there.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I played the flute in high school...I was even 1st chair!

I wish I still played, I miss it

I also took piano lessons for YEARS, I hated them at the time my mom made me go, but now I wish I kept up with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AuntSewissa

Use to play trumpet in middle school, but then got braces and it hurt to play
I remember my old band teacher told us trumpet players were usually good kissers!

auntsewissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I remember my old band teacher told us trumpet players were usually good kissers!
Ask my husband!

Actually, I could have care less about the trumpet, the only reason I took it up is b/c this boy I like was in it, and I ended up not liking him, but LOVED the trumpet

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I am!!!!

I played piano, violin, oboe, and bass guitar. Now I play bassoon in an orchestra!
I've always loved the bassoon! Our band never had one. Is it hard to play?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I've always loved the bassoon! Our band never had one. Is it hard to play?
Well, it is difficult to learn, because it's got a very large range and also 13 keys just to play with your thumbs!

But once you've got it down, the advantage is that every key is about equally easy to play in because of the odd fingerings. If that makes sense...

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a story. All my brothers and I have been in band. My oldest brother played the french horn from the early nineties until 1998. A friend of mine started playing the french horn and got the same one my brother had. We knew it was the same one because it had still had dents in it from when my mother accidentally kicked it. Anyways, the horn was sort of "old" by now and sounded a little weird. We got our teacher to see what was wrong with it... and there was MOLD in the bell!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I played French Horn during symphony season, mellophone or trumpet during marching band season, and the keyboard-like percussion instruments, like the marimba and xylophone in winter drumline.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Nope, choir geek here!
Choir geek here too! Funny thing - Glee Club was very competitive to get into in Ottawa and everyone was trying out, so those of us that made thought we were pretty special! We went out with the band all the time, sang at football games, concerts, other schools, were always featured in the school musicals, etc. I remember trying out for an Ottawa children's choir that the auditions were held in a huge ice arena, with selected entrants from schools across the city. Thousands of kids trying out - I made it!
When we moved here, if you sang you were a nerd!
I still sang anyway.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention marching french horn in marching band. That was a kick!!!

My senior year I got to be in band (oboe), orchestra (violin), swing choir, and jazz band (bass guitar). Oh yeah. I also took some math & English, LOL. That was an awesome year!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a band geek, and a choir geek!

I was first chair flute, in concert band and marching band, and then I switched to flute for concert and I was Captain of Flag Line (Color Guard) for a few years, I kick butt at twirling!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I played flute in my elementary school band. Then in Junior High I took private lessons, but then gave it up. I'm not good at sticking to practicing! I have a friend who was in our school band and marching band all through high school. She tells me it's good I quit lessons with my private teacher because 'all her flute students sound like they're playing off the tail pipe on an old car!'
I pick it up every now and again, but the girls sure don't like it!

I had much more fun in the chorus! Even if it was before school!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I could very well be the head band geek of TCS.

I'm about to have my very own Bachelor's degree in flute performance. I've been playing since I was 8...have been in band since age 9, was first chair basically every year of my public school education, was in jazz band (although, I played sax in that) and marching band (picc) and was in 3 youth orchestras, even the Chicago Youth Symphony.

And now, I pretty much play all over in all different kinds of ensembles. I play in a New Music ensemble (though some of you might prefer to call that kind of music "Squeaky Faucet" music!
)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I feel like I could very well be the head band geek of TCS.

I'm about to have my very own Bachelor's degree in flute performance. I've been playing since I was 8...have been in band since age 9, was first chair basically every year of my public school education, was in jazz band (although, I played sax in that) and marching band (picc) and was in 3 youth orchestras, even the Chicago Youth Symphony.

And now, I pretty much play all over in all different kinds of ensembles. I play in a New Music ensemble (though some of you might prefer to call that kind of music "Squeaky Faucet" music!
)
I crown you Queen Band Geek of TCS, LOL.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not me, but both of my kids have been in the school orchestras since the 4th grade. My son plays the violin (among other instruments) and my daughter plays the bass. I would have never let her start playing that dang thing back inthe 4th grade if I knew she would still be playing it in high school. Do you know how big a 3/4 size upright bass is? We had to take the dang thing with us car shopping because we had to get a car that would fit it!