Career Choices

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How did you know what you wanted to do with your life?

I'm 23 and working at my first real job after graduating from University. I took the job knowing it wasn't something I wanted to do forever, but figured it was really good experience and something that related to my education. Almost 2 years later I'm still working there, but bored out of my mind with the work I do. I know that there are many more things I could be learning from my job, the problem is that I have absolutely no interest in gaining this knowledge. I'm afraid the longer I stay there the more trapped I'll become into doing a similar job in the future.

I guess it seems simple enough to just leave and do something else. The problem is:

a) I really like the people I work with, especially my manager who is more like a good friend than a boss.

b) I dislike change and am completely intimidated of starting at a new place.

and (the big issue)

c) If I'm going to find a new job I want it to be something that'll move my career in a direction I want to go. I want it to be something I like and something I'm good at. I have no idea what this something is.

This worries me a lot, and I don't know what to do about it. Do you have any advice? How did you know what you what you wanted to do with your life?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I want to sit at home & be a hermit. I'd make an excellent "crazy cat lady"!
But, I guess I have to go out & get a real job. I'm 20, getting my 2 year degree & will graduate in a semester(or two). I know I want to work with animals, but whether I do that in my job or continue to volunteer at the shelter doesn't matter. I really like answering phones, being the greeter person. I'd love to be a front desk person.

That probably didn't help much. If this job has no experince that will help you in the long run, find another job then quit this one. It isn't helping you any....

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I graduated college in 2004 with my AS in Business MGMT & Admin- and took the 1st job I could find that was related to my major, and my past work experience. Reason being- I needed the experience on my resume to get a better job, and money!

Start looking in the papers, ect, for jobs that interest you, there's no hurt in applying and going for an interview, you never know what you might find!

Right now I'm in the process of looking for a job (unemployed from a layoff) and I'm totally cluless in what I want to do! I wanted to stay in the car dealership/body shop business, since thats what I've been doing since I was 14, and my 1st job outta college even- but I'm trying everything, doesn't hurt to try!

I hated change too, but now I"m gonig thru the BIGGEST change ever, and I hate it too, but its definately made me a much stronger person!

What kind of things are you interested in? What kind of job are you doing now?

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

I'm 23 and working at my first real job after graduating from University. I took the job knowing it wasn't something I wanted to do forever, but figured it was really good experience and something that related to my education. Almost 2 years later I'm still working there, but bored out of my mind with the work I do. I know that there are many more things I could be learning from my job, the problem is that I have absolutely no interest in gaining this knowledge. I'm afraid the longer I stay there the more trapped I'll become into doing a similar job in the future.

I guess it seems simple enough to just leave and do something else. The problem is:

a) I really like the people I work with, especially my manager who is more like a good friend than a boss.

and (the big issue)

c) If I'm going to find a new job I want it to be something that'll move my career in a direction I want to go. I want it to be something I like and something I'm good at. I have no idea what this something is.

This worries me a lot, and I don't know what to do about it. Do you have any advice? How did you know what you what you wanted to do with your life?
If you're bored and not motivated, it's best to make a change sooner rather than later (10yrs time). It will only get worse.
It's a lot easier to change careers, get more schooling, job hunt, when you are young. Also without kids to look after.
My advice is aim to be as happy as you can work-wise, before you start to settle in your life (get married, buy a house, have kids, adopt 20 cats!). This way when you settle down with responsibilities, you aren't trapped by a boring, non-fulfilling job.

If you're having trouble figuring out what you really want to do, examine the things in your life that excite you and are able to keep you really focused. That may help to figure out what area of work would reward you.

auntsewissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll be completely honest here. I had NO idea what I wanted to do at 23. Now I'm 30, wished I finished college and still not doing what I now realize I want. I got my Optician Licenses last year, and although I love the profession, it's not real stimulating. I think it's hard to expect folks in their early 20's to decide what they want to do the rest of their life. That's big pressure and expectations. That's how I felt, which is why I never finished college. I felt no need to study something, not knowing what I wanted to do. Now I realize what a stupid decision it was to not finish my education, but I'm going back now. Better late than never.

Do what you feel in your heart, you want. EMBRACE the change, and look at it as something to grow from. Look forward to going into something new and exciting. Don't look at it as "the rest of my life" you are free to change and transition into something else whenever you want.

Also keep in mind, it has been a trend now that people change professions, for whatever reason, in their 40's and 50's. My Mom did. She went from own her own construction company with my Dad for 25 years, and now, in her late 50's, just finished college and is an Art teacher. She LOVES it.

My husband is a social worker and knows he only has about 15 years left before he's burned out. His job is requiring him to get his Masters (in anything). Although he hasn't decided what to get it in, it's his plan to study something he'd want to do after he's burned out, that way he can transition easily.

Sorry so long winded
I just get upset at our society forcing young folks to feel they HAVE to make a decision RIGHT NOW and commit for the rest of their life (parenthood NOT included). The rest of your life is looooong ahead of you

What did you graduate in?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far I haven't done much in my life except for volunteering at the shelter and being a hermit.
But if I were you I'd want to do something I found exciting and loved to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow thanks for all your replies! I really appreciate it.

I studied Environmental Design in school. Basically it was a 3-year program providing general knowledge about architecture, interior design, city planning and landscape design. Should I choose to, I could go back to school and get a Master's in any of those fields. We were also given some basic information about product design and industrial design, which I could also study in the future.

Right now I work for a small furniture manufacturer. The good part about that is I've learned so much about drafting and how to provide proper drawings in order to have them built. The bad part is that it's really technical and involves a lot of knowledge about furniture construction standards and machinery, which frankly I couldn't care less about. Also, as things have been slow lately, I've been doing a lot of data entry and other pointlessly repetitive jobs which drive me up the wall with boredom.

I know that I'm putting an awful lot of pressure on myself to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. I realize that it's unfair (and counter-productive) to have this attitude, but I do feel that I'm wasting my life by not knowing. I don't know why I'm in such a rush, but I certainly am!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

and (the big issue)

Sounds like my life. When I graduated college I couldn't find anything in my field(bio-research) & I took a job at a local bank. I stayed there for 7 years. First 2 I could careless about the job & just wanted the paycheck. I eventually got into it and moved up the ladder. I recently quit that job and trying to figure out what I want to do. I want to be a hermit/crazy cat lady like white cat lover-actually I just said this to my kitty today. I love making money but I have no idea what career to go into. The only experience I have is banking/sales/supervisor. DH & I were trying to figure it out tonight. I wish you luck.