Pregnancy on her first period

archel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone.

I just wanted to ask experienced cat owners if letting my cat go on with her pregnancy is safe even if she got pregnant on her first period and is under a year old.

Thanks.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, how old exactly do you think she is? I have seen cats go into their first heat at 4 months, and some not til 9 months. A 4 month old having babies is way worse then a 9 month old. It would be like a 12 year old child having a baby. Either way, it is still much too young and personally I would have her spayed right now, unless she is part of a serious breeding program then there is no reason for her to reproduce. There are so many unwanted kittens in the world already. Just be sure to get her in asap and keep her inside until you do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

archel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's 10 months old.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is old enough but like Jen said ... unless she is in a breeding program please get her spayed...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How young? How long since she's been bred? If she's over 3 weeks pregnant, it might be better to let her have them but if she's really young; like 4/5 months old you are risking her health.

You might have to ask your vet for advice on spaying her while pregnant or the best thing to do at this point. Is this a stray? How did she get pregnant?

Ok at 10 months its fine - just be sure to schedule the spay a few weeks after the kits are born and keep her away from any males and inside the house - she can get pregnant when nursing kittens.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just FYI: you CAN have her spayed while she is pregnant, resulting in termination of the pregnancy. This is always a perfectly legitimate option as a cat does not have morals and will not know the difference (and especially with a young cat like this, will be safer and healthier).

If you choose not to have her spayed while pregnant, you will need to prepare for several pre-natal vet visits, as well as full vetting for the resulting kittens, including first shots, spaying and neutering before they are rehomed. There is also the possibility of large emergency vet bills when young cats carry to term (well, when any cats carry and birth kittens). You will also be responsible for getting Mom spayed as soon as your vet deems it possible.

For a list of low-cost spay and neuter clinics, click here. Most rescues and humane societies WILL perform a spay on a pregnant cat up until delivery.

archel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is having kitties a dangerous thing? Should I spay her and abort the babies?

I thought cat pregnancy was not dangerous.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To put it bluntly, it isn't that dangerous if it is done right. What I mean is if it happened at a more mature age, when the cat was ready, after both cats were tested for genetic/hereditary problems, in a controlled environment, with two purebred cats who were part of a breeding program.

The problem with a cat being out there able to mate with any intact free roaming tomcat is the fact that intact free roaming tomcats are the number one carrier of all sorts of diseases. You have Feline AIDS, Feline Leukemia, respiratory infections, fleas, ear mites, worms, etc. She could now have any of those things and/or could be able to pass it down to her babies.

Plus at such a young age, she may reject them, she may eat them, she may kill them... rejecting them means you will have to bottle feed them. This may sound fun and cute but not when you have to do it every 2 hours all day all night...

There is just a ton to think about. It really is dangerous. On the other hand, everything could go perfectly fine. It is a crapshoot and not one I would be willing to take. Plus then you would have to vaccinate and deworm the mother and all those kittens, and then spay and neuter them all and then try to find them a home... A LOT of work!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by archel

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to ask experienced cat owners if letting my cat go on with her pregnancy is safe even if she got pregnant on her first period and is under a year old.

Thanks.
Archel....Welcome to TCS. If you allowed her outdoors and she became pregnant by a wandering stray male, I would be concerned. Intact stray males can be carriers of diseases such as FIV/FELV and if the male was a carrier, he could have passed it on to your girl and it could impact the health of your cat and her unborn kittens. This is one of the reasons why we advocate keeping intact females indoors only until they have been spayed. Even if the male did not carry any diseases, there is always a risk with pregnancy at any age and unless you are prepared for the possibility of your girl having complications, then I would really suggest that you at least consider terminating the pregnancy. Know that we are here to assist you whatever the situation...but we want you to be prepared.

Katie

katiescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat pregnancy IS dangerous. It takes a lot of energy for a cat to provide for a litter growing inside her, and then to nurse that litter once it's born.
I found a pregnant stray cat whom the vet thinks is about 2 and a half years old. Since she's this age, he assumed this was probably around her fourth litter. She is very tiny, and ended up carrying a litter of SEVEN. One of the babies had severe birth defects and complicated her delivery. Had she been outside, or had I not been home the moment she went into labor, she and all of her babies would have died. She had to be sedated and cut open in order for anyone to survive. There was the chance that she would reject the litter, and that none of the cats would survive. As it stands, 6 of the 7 babies made it, and Mom is recovering OK (she is painfully thin though...pregnancy has taken its toll on her), but I had a $750 vet bill.
Had I found her earlier in her pregnancy, there is no question that I would have done a spay/abort. It is in the health interests of the mother cat, and in the interest of her guardian. Spaying your cat will keep her and you out of physical and financial trouble.

archel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone, your advice helped me a lot. I have decided to abort the kitties and spay her. She got pregnant by wandering outside, plus she's too young and little, so it could be dangerous. I will now go ahead and spay my other kitty as well.

I'll post some pics so you can see which kitties you protected with your advice:

This is the one who got pregnant, her name is Siamie:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...l/PC070024.jpg

This is my other cat when she was a baby, her name is Sheik:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Archel/cat3.jpg

This was my first cat who passed away, her name was Mohawk:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...hawkchill2.jpg

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I'm jumping in late and Welcome to TCS.

You've been given sound advice and had made a very, very good decision!!!

Well done!!!

katiescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm happy beyond words. Thank you so much for taking everyone's advice! Your cats and the cats in shelters without homes thank you

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy as well! That is great that you decided to spay/abort. It really is healthier and cats don't know what has happened. That is WONDERUL that your other girl is going in too. She looks young but vets can spay at 8 weeks!

fr gregg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that cats under one year can carry their litters quite well. Dulcinea was pregnant when we brought her into our family...after she had been thrown out by her previous owner. She was about 8-9 months old. She had three healthy kittens and was a WONDERFUL mother. Our vet even said that she was one of the BEST mothers he had ever seen in all his years of practice. She did have to have her kittens in the clinic. The first kitten was 'breach' and she needed help...but she IMMEDIATELY took to her motherly duties with great energy and duty and was a wonderful mom. She was spayed after the kittens were weaned...so she will not be having more...but I am glad she had the joy of motherhood...and her kittens all have wonderful homes where they are appreciated and loved. My suggestion: take her to the vet and get his opinion and if necessary...ask if she can have her kittens IN the clinic when the time comes. I don't think you'll be sorry!

Good luck!

Fr. Gregg

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fr gregg

...but I am glad she had the joy of motherhood...and her kittens all have wonderful homes where they are appreciated and loved.

Fr. Gregg
I absolutely respect your decision and everyone elses, but there really is no need for a cat to experience the "joy" of motherhood. Cats don't want to go thru it and cannot make an informed decision about it. It just happens when they are outside. The actual mating could have been very rough on her. Who knows if the male was carrying a disease or something. That is great your cat was a great mother but I would never recommend someone intentionally letting their cat become a mother unless they are an experienced breeder and it is under supervision and control and of course, that both animals are fully tested for genetic problems.

Also, unless you still keep in contact with the new owners, or unless they are close friends or family, there is no way of knowing if they will keep those babies for life. And there is no way of knowing if they will go on to add more and more to the overpopluation of cats in the world unless you keep in touch and make sure people spay and neuter, or make sure it is done before the kittens leave their mother. That is the best way to make sure it gets done because kittens can be spayed at 8 weeks and they need to be with their mom until at least 10-12 weeks so there is plenty of time to have everyone taken care of before going home.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by archel

Thanks everyone, your advice helped me a lot. I have decided to abort the kitties and spay her. She got pregnant by wandering outside, plus she's too young and little, so it could be dangerous. I will now go ahead and spay my other kitty as well.

I'll post some pics so you can see which kitties you protected with your advice:

This is the one who got pregnant, her name is Siamie:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...l/PC070024.jpg

This is my other cat when she was a baby, her name is Sheik:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Archel/cat3.jpg

This was my first cat who passed away, her name was Mohawk:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...hawkchill2.jpg
Archel....I would like to commend your commitment to taking the best care of your little girl. It is wise to consult with your vet and let them know that you suspect that she is pregnant. Many vets will perform a spay/abort as long as the pregnancy is in the early stages...but each situation is unique so please let us know what your vet recommends that you.

Katie

fr gregg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All three kittens went to close friends and we have contact (almost daily) with them...and they are all happy (overjoyed actually) with their new family members. They were chosen specifically because they wanted their kittens VERY badly...and all of them know that if anything happens and they can't/don't want to keep them---they are to be returned to us immediately...where they would be welcomed back with open arms and hearts.

Fr. Gregg

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fr gregg

All three kittens went to close friends and we have contact (almost daily) with them...and they are all happy (overjoyed actually) with their new family members. They were chosen specifically because they wanted their kittens VERY badly...and all of them know that if anything happens and they can't/don't want to keep them---they are to be returned to us immediately...where they would be welcomed back with open arms and hearts.

Fr. Gregg
That's great to hear. It would be wonderful, since you have had previous experience with a pregnant mom and raising kittens...if you were to offer to foster a pregnant cat from the shelter or a rescue group. I know the rescue group that I volunteer for is always looking for people who are willing to foster pregnant cats so we can pull more cats from the shelter. It's truly a win/win/win.....the shelter wins because they now have a space for another cat, the rescue wins because they can pull the cat and the cat wins because oftentimes shelters do not have adequate space or staff to keep a pregnant mom through her pregancy. It's just something to consider as we move into the spring months and into kitten season.

Katie