Can my neighbor kill my cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a question about laws relating to cats in Texas.

I have a neighbor who has been complaining about our cats going into his yard and pooping. He has a cage set up and has been catching our cats, and then calling the animal shelter, who is putting the animals to sleep. As soon as we found out about this, we contacted the animal shelter and we were told that if our cats had collars showing that they were vaccinated, that they would not pick up our cats. We proceeded to go to the vet and vaccinate our cats and buy them collars and tags.

This morning, our neighbor told us that if the animal shelter wouldn't pick up the cats when he called them, that he was just going to take this into his own cats and KILL any cat that entered his property.

My question is, can he do that? I mean, of course, he can kill a cat, but is it legal? Can this man do whatever he wants to my pet cats if they enter his property? I mean these cats have been raised outside and roam all throughout the neighborhood freely. I can stop them from entering his property. There are 8 cats, most of them are adults, two are small kittens who also roam around freely.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Legally I doubt that he can kill your cats. But will he I'm sure he will
. Some people are cruel
sick and twisted. This sounds like your neighbor. All you can do is either build a contained area in your yard for your cats. Or keep them inside. If you want to keep your cats safe from this sicko neighbor then the cats have to kept inside. Even if you report him to the police its hard to prove he did kill them. He might set out poison or even kill them and dispose of the bodies!
I'm sorry your having to deal with this type of person.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of the exact same thing. This would be very hard to prove unless we'd actually see him do (and that would still be a "she said/he said" type thing). More than likely, he'll kill my cats and dispose of their bodies.

This man is a total psycho and I've told him that not only cats enter his yard, but also dogs. They mess up his home too yet he doesn't have a problem with them.

I wish I could have them all inside my home but we have so many and my parents just won't allow it. For now, I'm just keeping the small ones inside and praying that the older ones would be okay.

I was hoping that there was something I could do legally but I guess not.

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Helga,

Legally No he cannot.
Will he? Probably.
Will he get in trouble if he does? probably not at least not any real trouble.
and even if he does and you witness it, the odds of a full cruetly suit will be minimal.
Basically, you could watch him kill your cats then see him walk out of the court room with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. and any retaliation that you impose upon him will get you in 10X more trouble with the law.

I would recommend, having your cats spayed and neutered!!!! it sounds like you have kittens every where.
putting your cats indoors.
if you cant, adopt out the cats until you have a manageble number that you can allow in your house.
and ps

Do not let anyone from PETA near your cats.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's horrible, no it's not legal at all. You have to find a way to keep your cats from going over there
Build them a cage or get a large covered dog kennel if you can't keep them all in.
Unfortunately I've seen people put down antifreeze to poison cats, skunks, and dogs before. Heck, I even caught my own father doing it.
I dumped it out at his feet/over his shoes infront of his then 10 year old step daughter and called him not so nice things. He never did it again.

Beware of any sort of dish or him leaving out food, or worse even putting it in your yard.

Can you possibly contact the shelter or police and ask them what your rights are when a neighbor is threatening to kill your animals? There should at least be some animal cruelty laws. Don't tell them that your animals are roaming as you may get yourself in trouble if there's leash laws If you can get witnesses or some sort of proof that he threatened your pets it might be useful later if something happens.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can build an outdoor enclosure for your cats, if you can not keep all of them inside. You can also buy the chain link dog kennels and set one of them up rather quickly. Just make sure it has a top so the cats don't climb or jump out.
Originally Posted by Middletown

Helga,
and ps

Do not let anyone from PETA near your cats.
This is so very true. PETA will KILL your cats faster than your neighbor will

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor did shoot and kill my cats. I contacted the local sheriff's dept and ended having our counties DA office charging him with felony animal abuse. It was settled 8 months later with him being charged w/misdemeanor animal cruelty as we couldn't prove the other shootings. However it cost him a fair amount of miney for the attorney, court costs etc... PETA stuck their nose int this unfortunately for me-they must have software that monitors newspapers for animal abuse cases. I would contact a animal control officer to see what Texas law is.

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've decided to give my 8 cats to my grandmother, who lives in another neighborhood. I don't want to take any chances with my neighbor getting his hands of my cats. I know they like to roam around so I know that no matter what I do, I cannot confine them permenanently to a small area (aka, my home). Plus, it's not fair to them. They have been spayed and neutered and they have their vaccines (with matching collars and tags to show). They are doing nothing wrong, but of course, my neighbor doesn't see it that way.

Alas, I'd rather lose the cats as "pets" than have them be brutally killed by my stupid neighbor.

The problem with taking them to my grandmother's home is that I fear my cats getting lost. How will I make sure that they remember that my grandmother's house is *their* home now. I mean, when I take them there, they will see her lawn, but they will more than likely roam around the neighborhood and then probably forget which house they came from, right?

My grandmother doesn't really like cats all that much so it is out of the question to have them stay *inside* her house. ;( Any ideas? Maybe I can leave some stuff outside her house that will help them remember...but what?

Thanks for any help.

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

My neighbor did shoot and kill my cats. I contacted the local sheriff's dept and ended having our counties DA office charging him with felony animal abuse. It was settled 8 months later with him being charged w/misdemeanor animal cruelty as we couldn't prove the other shootings. However it cost him a fair amount of miney for the attorney, court costs etc... PETA stuck their nose int this unfortunately for me-they must have software that monitors newspapers for animal abuse cases. I would contact a animal control officer to see what Texas law is.
The problem with this scenario is that I don't want to wait until one of my cats has been hurt or killed... I'd rather take action NOW, even though it means letting my neighbor "win".

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would talk with your local animal control and the sheriffs office... If he threatens I BET just like the @@# here hes HAS DONE IT .... If you can take a sheriffs deputy and the animal control officer to HIS HOUSE ... I have done it

If you can Keep your cats with u and indoors

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I would talk with your local animal control and the sheriffs office... If he threatens I BET just like the @@# here hes HAS DONE IT .... If you can take a sheriffs deputy and the animal control officer to HIS HOUSE ... I have done it

If you can Keep your cats with u and indoors
Yeah, that wouldn't hurt, I think I would do just that, I would go down to the sheriffs office, that way I could explain things better.

Maybe they could go to the neighbors house, and tell them that it is against the law or something.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definately contact your local authorities, and let HIM know that you've done so. I would also NOT hesitate to inform him that if ONE of your cats go missing, that he will most certainly be under further investigation of harming one of your animals through your local law enforcement agencies.

I'm not sure that putting them in a different neighborhood outdoors will help the situation much, as it sounds like you may end up with a lot of lost cats spread here and there who are having trouble in different territory...not a good scenario.

I also don't want to come off as harsh or judgemental, so please take no offense to my comments, as they are my opinion, and I do respect the fact that you may not agree...

I do feel like the cats need to come inside your home. I have 3 indoor cats of my own (and they are strictly indoor pets), and know from experience that outdoor cats can be acclimated to an indoor life when given a lot of time, patience, and stimulation. Cats that are kept indoors are safe cats...they are free from cat fights, crazy neighbors, the weather elements, problems that can arise from toxic materials (such as antifreeze, and certain plants and flowers), getting hit by a car, and getting lost. It would be far less fair to allow any of these aforementioned things to happen to even one of these cats, than it would to keep them outdoors. Your other option would be to keep them indoors with you, until you can have some type of outdoor enclosure or sanctuary built, where they can then still enjoy the great outdoors, while being confined, and more safe.

Good luck to you...I do understand your frustration and concerns, and you seem to care a great deal for your cats. Please let us know what you decide to do.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my I am really sorry about this mental situation , you have already had a lot of suggestions and I do hope you can come up with something that you can feel comfortable with.
I have 3 kits that are all indoor/outdoor, so understand where you are coming from, but luckily all my neighbours are animal friendly

Keep strong

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Animals if properly showing ID are considered "property". I hate it when they put it like that, but they do. So yes, it would be illegal to shoot them especially since he knowingly knows they are YOUR cats. What part of TX are you from? I would contact animal control and look up TX state laws.
I would also if possible, depending on how far away your neighbor is, set up a camera, because if it's on tape, there is no way he can deny it. He might already being doing other things he shouldn't and to catch him and have him sent to jail is where he should be...Keep up posted.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Arizona, I think anything goes. The only thing that saved my feral colony (even though it is listed with the Humane Society...lot of good that does) was the Animal Control refused to come down and trap and the cats.

This is the first time that non-action has been the best thing. I feel so badly for you.

Tell your neighbor that you are reporting these incidents to the police and Animal Control. Tell him that they are keeping a log of the problems you are having with him about the cats. Inform him that if so much as ONE of your cats is missing, hurt, poisoned... they will be down to talk to him.... and then DO IT.

You may have to make a pain of yourself to them to get them to listen, but keep at it. Go to your local newspaper and write a "letter to the editor" and see if you can get publicity this way. The guy is NOT going to want to have people looking over his shoulder.

Best of wishes to you, hope everything works out.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Helga06

I've decided to give my 8 cats to my grandmother, who lives in another neighborhood. I don't want to take any chances with my neighbor getting his hands of my cats. I know they like to roam around so I know that no matter what I do, I cannot confine them permenanently to a small area (aka, my home). Plus, it's not fair to them. They have been spayed and neutered and they have their vaccines (with matching collars and tags to show). They are doing nothing wrong, but of course, my neighbor doesn't see it that way.

Alas, I'd rather lose the cats as "pets" than have them be brutally killed by my stupid neighbor.

The problem with taking them to my grandmother's home is that I fear my cats getting lost. How will I make sure that they remember that my grandmother's house is *their* home now. I mean, when I take them there, they will see her lawn, but they will more than likely roam around the neighborhood and then probably forget which house they came from, right?

My grandmother doesn't really like cats all that much so it is out of the question to have them stay *inside* her house. ;( Any ideas? Maybe I can leave some stuff outside her house that will help them remember...but what?

Thanks for any help.
While this may seem like a good solution to you, yes they probably will get lost. They will need to be in her house for some period of time so they know where they live. If you just go let them out over there, they will all become very lost and could wind up in an even worse situation. If there is no way your grandmother can take them inside and you can't take them inside, I recommend pursuing other options - like adopting them out (at least some of them) until you're at a managable size to bring them in. It's just plain safer all around for them.
Definitely report your neighbor as well. This is a threat that they made.

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think I would feel safe living next door to someone who would kill a cat deliberately without feeling any remorse.

People who harm other animals cannot be trusted around even other people, in my opinion.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He can kill your cats, deny it, and nothing will be done, believe me. My father's a Texas rancher (I grew up there) and nobody's going to think twice if someone kills an animal that wanders on to his property.

Is there any way to keep them in? You are not going to have the law backing you up, no matter what might be written on the books. I wish you and your kitties well, and hope you find a workable (and safe) solution.

van

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your neighbor sounds like a heartless brute. To deliberatly kill a cat or any other animal is unhumane and cruel. We had a neighbor who killed one of our previous cats, and we had enough evidence to put him in jail for a year. People like that deserve to be treated like scum.

Status
Not open for further replies.