Teeth Brushing (pregnancy woes!)

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've become a total wimp this pregnancy around. With my son, when i'd go in the morning to brush my teeth and i'd have to use all my will power not to gag when i was brushing.

This time around its a bajillion times worse. I cannot brush my teeth without having the stron urge to throw up. It really suck because 1.) at this point im not eating very much, and when I brush my teeth the little I eat comes back up, and 2.) it makes me feel really bad!

Anyone have any advice on how I can get over this?!?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it the toothbrush or the taste of the toothpaste? You could try a kid's size brush, if it is the brush, or maybe a mild flavored kid's toothpaste (like bubble gum or something) instead of the minty adult toothpaste? Or maybe you could floss and just brush with water, then use a fluoride mouthwash? Other than that, I just can't think of anything. Hopefully this will pass soon

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the idea of the kid's size brush.

Adult sized brushes make me gag anytime...never been able to do it. So I got a cool Scooby Doo brush and it worked for me

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

...This time around its a bajillion times worse. I cannot brush my teeth without having the stron urge to throw up. It really suck because 1.) at this point im not eating very much, and when I brush my teeth the little I eat comes back up, and 2.) it makes me feel really bad!
Boy, do I feel for you! I had extreme nausea during my pregnacy, too, and would gag while brushing... I don't throw up very easily at all but I gag really loudly! Brushing my tongue would especially do it.

I couldn't smell any food, either, without getting sick to my stomach (even the smell of lettuce would do it). I threw up water sometimes.

There is something available for extreme pregnancy nausea like yours. My OB/GYN offered it to me but I was too paranoid to take anything while I was pregnant and refused and suffered.

Like I said, my heart goes out to you. I don't have an answer, but can only tell you it will all be worth it, and you'll be holding your sweet baby before you know it. Do you sleep a lot? I'd go to be at 7:00 because sleeping was the only time I wasn't nauseous.

Even though you are suffering, it is actually a very good sign that the baby's healthy and doing well.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Years ago I used to have this problem (but wasn't pregnant at the time....). I found that it helped to use only the tiniest bit of toothpaste and to go at at it slowly. Just brush a little area, go and sit down and wait until you feel okay enough to continue. Yes, it's a pain (and often ended up making me late for everything) but it was the only way I could do it.

I do hope this works for you, or at least you find some way to deal with this. I can't imagine it's a fun way to lead up to the birth of your little one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think im going to try buying a kiddie toothbrush. Its not the taste of the toothpaste, I actually like it (its some red gel stuff). Just the texture of the toothbrush. Not to mention DS lost my toothbrush so im not using this nasty hard toothbrush.

Its so gross but Ive realized that if I throw up in the morning im nt nearly as nauseous during the day. Im dying to go to my OBGYN he is a total sweetie and im sure he will fix me!! lol

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i gag alot too.
when i make the sound while brushing my teeth Dan always yells "you okay" cause it sounds so bad.
the worst for me is when is see someone vomit on tv I start to dry heeve and when the cat throws up or takes a stinky poo boy i really get ill.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was pregnant, I went through the same thing... I ended up using a kid toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash

I still use kids mouthwash... The adults is too strong for me.. I used Act for Kids

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe
that's not good. I don't know if it's true or not, but I was told that you shouldn't brush your teeth until 3 hours have past since you vomit because if you brush your teeth sooner than that, it damages your enamal (sp???). *shrugs*

I hope that a smaller toothbrush works!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might help if you don't brush your tongue at all. Do a mouthwash for the tongue, and just brush your teeth. The good news - it will hopefully go away in a few weeks!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call your dentist- they treat things like this all the time- i'm sure they will have good suggestions!
Definitely do the kiddy toothbrush

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

i gag alot too.
when i make the sound while brushing my teeth Dan always yells "you okay" cause it sounds so bad.
the worst for me is when is see someone vomit on tv I start to dry heeve and when the cat throws up or takes a stinky poo boy i really get ill.
The thing is, when I brush I make the sound, and immediatly after word I start to heave and throw up. Ive learned not to eat anything too late at night, and when I actually brush in the morning its just dry heaves or sometimes a disgusting bile. (Sorry if im grossing anyone out)

As for litterbox duties, my sister is taking care of them for me. I will try and clean up, and if the box isnt too stinky i'll do fine. But stinky box and full stomach makes it impossible for me to clean up.

Ive gotten morning sickness (all day) so bad with baby #2. If I smell something stinky and I open my mouth, I have to head straight for the bathroom.

Oh, and my belly is getting pudgy. I read somewhere after your first baby you show sooner with the rest of your pregnancy since your muscles arent as tight. I think ive lost some weight but even with that I can see a a rounder shape to my stomach.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Flat sprite & dry cheerios before I got up in the morning helped me. Open the sprite the night before that it is warm & flat. I would also put the Cheerios on the night stand the night before and would lay in bed while I ate. It reallydid help.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.