What do you think

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Takes more work to take care of? My aunt says cats do and I say dogs take alot more work. I can do all of the feeding and litter things for Tavia in a few minutes and it leaves the rest of my time open to love on her and play with her. But my dogs every time I turn around they either want outside or want more food and water because our bowl isn't really big enough for three and we are working on that I just keep forgetting to get one at the store. And my dogs have to be walked and I have to give them baths more often because they are always finding something stinky to get into and our yard is fenced in. But they repay me with so much love same as Tavia. And with dogs the one thing you don't have to work at is getting them to play with you or love on you. With Tavia she loves on you when its in her want catagory which normally she wants loving alot. But I just wanted to know which one you have to actually work harder with in your home.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think dogs are more work than cats. Mostly because they are more pack animals that NEED to socalize with people and other dogs. Where as cats will do whatever they want whenever they want, lol.

Dogs need to go for walks as well.

With cats all you gotta do is feed them and change the litterbox. And of course give them attention when they want it.

My cats are more demanding than the dogs are though.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think dogs are more work than cats.. but I don't mind. I have four dogs.
except it's easier to clean a cat's litter box than pick up dog poop.
especially if you have four dogs.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well with 6 cats idk
but the dogs u have to let in and out in and out ecspecially cocoa, and its just really hard some days
see we have a deck thats enclosed because we do have a fenced in yard for them except they are so scared on wont go on the hill
so they always been on the deck so we have to open and close that sliding glass door alot, darn dad for letting them in and out for no reason
ecspecially when its cold its a pain, and well cocoa has to go out everytime the whistles go off! And u always gotta re do their water bowl at least 5 times a day adn it is a big one
and well my brother has gotten the job of walks we used to do it me and my mom but he offers so hey why not
but thats all he does
and my mom feeds them 2-3 times a day and when u walk in the house u better give them a treat, but for the cats I guess I generally gotta do more because I feed my moms cats usually once out of the three times they eat of the day, and willie I feed him 3-5 times a day(hey we need to fatten him up) and midnight I feed once and well midnights my brothers and generally stays downstairs and with my kitties i have to fill up the water dish 1-2 times a day and clean it out once a day, and I also have to feel up their dry food once a day and well take care of their litterbox and feed them their wet 2 times a day, and also watch so theres no cat fights inbetween all the cats! So generally its evened out here, but I would still have to say dogs are more work than cats!! But each has their own pros and cons so i dont know but I do agree that dogs are more work and well are dogs are also very very jelous so when u got one u better be expecting to get both of them on ur lap
and well having a lab on my lap isnt all that pleasant!!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 cats, 1 large dog, the dog is way more work.
I just finished de-pooping the backyard.
The last two weeks has been so cold that Bear goes and it immediately freezes to the ground, add snow and well, you can imagine the mess I had once everything thawed.
It's all concrete patio and this happens every winter for about 2 weeks.

In normal weather I simply go clean the backyard every evening.
Still, even in good weather, way more work than 6 cats.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs for sure. They have to be let in and out all the time. Cats can use a litterbox!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With 2 dogs and 13 cats, I'd say the dogs take more time than the cats. With a cat you can plop down somewhere and they are happy to snuggle up with you. The dogs need constant walkies, get dirty and need baths, and mine are large so it takes longer to brush 1 dog than 5 cats. And dogs you always need to get home to let them out.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I would say dogs are by far more work, hands down. The only time I would say that ANY cat is A LOT of work, is if you have a long-haired cat that requires a lot of grooming, and even then, they are far less maintenance than most dogs.

Dogs need to be trained...
Dogs need to be house-trained, and let outdoors to do their business.
Dogs NEED to be bathed, at least occassionally, whereas with most DSH cats, it's rarely if ever necessary.
Dogs are pack animals, and NEED so be well-socialized with people, other animals, and children.
Dogs need much more exercise than cats, thereby forcing their humans to exercise as well.
I have never met a cat that could chew off table legs, systematically tear off the upholstery of a couch in one piece, or knock me completely off of my chair...now, that's not to say there aren't some fairly destructive cats out there.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I do love my dogs, every ounce as much as my cats. Both are highly rewarding family members, but in different ways.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would actually say cats.... My dog is a yorkie and she is a baby ..... Zoey runs amuck in the house and Kandie well at 18 takes about the same work as my mom

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I think dogs for sure, not to say cats aren't a lot of work especially if you have a cat who think he's a dog!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs are far more work than cats! You have to walk them, clean up their messes in the yard and on walks, etc etc etc and the list goes on.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

Takes more work to take care of? My aunt says cats do and I say dogs take alot more work. I can do all of the feeding and litter things for Tavia in a few minutes and it leaves the rest of my time open to love on her and play with her. But my dogs every time I turn around they either want outside or want more food and water because our bowl isn't really big enough for three and we are working on that I just keep forgetting to get one at the store. And my dogs have to be walked and I have to give them baths more often because they are always finding something stinky to get into and our yard is fenced in. But they repay me with so much love same as Tavia. And with dogs the one thing you don't have to work at is getting them to play with you or love on you. With Tavia she loves on you when its in her want catagory which normally she wants loving alot. But I just wanted to know which one you have to actually work harder with in your home.
Like so many other questions, this one depends. I have had about a dozen cats and dogs in my life and until Persi I would have always said dogs are much harder to take care of. But this is because all of my previous cats and dogs were shorthairs. Persi requires a lot of brushing each morning plus because of his breed he requires special eye cleaning at the same time. Alley on the other hand is virtually maintenance free. The dogs I had by the way were Basenjis, noted for their cat like qualities in keeping theirselves clean. And Basenjis are unable to bark, which saves a lot of yelling...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've had as many as 4 cats at one time but only 1 dog, and without a doubt, dogs are more work. I suppose to a certain extent it depends on the type of dog you have but most need to be stimulated mentally as well as exercised physically. I love our dog and wouldn't have it any other way but yes, dogs do involve more work.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
dogs are probably more work, but I enjoy every aspect of it. I love walking them, I don't care about the temperature not to mention it's good for me too. Sure there is the chewing thing, but if you don't get your dog as a puppy he won't teeth so any chewing can be easily trained out. Sure you have to pick up poop, but you have to pick up cat poop too. I loved grooming my dog, especially since he loved it so much, he was short hair so I did not have to brush much but He really loved being brushed and we would sit in the back yard together and I liked it. He did not like baths so they were relatively short,but I found it fun, and if I actually did a good job it was rewarding. The down right best part of having a dog is training it. I talk to my friends who say their dog is not trained that they don't want to train it (one of my friends dogs live outside for that reason, but that should be saved for my dog forum) I just don't get it how could you not enjoy training, and why did you get a dog if you don't want to train it
. I love that feeling when it finally clicks for the dog and you know he knows what he has to do. Not to mention once the dog knows a lot of stuff, It is fun to take him every where. Socialization is fun too, I could bring my dog out every day, to a park, down town, playground, the beach I think it is awesome. That said yes they are more work but I find it enjoyable. Sure I love my cats but I am definitely a dog person. In fact after after just loosing my dog I am getting depressed simply because I have never been this bored in my life, i have nothing to do except sit here. Sure there is school but that is more boring then the rest of my life. Normally I'm be playing with Max, taking him for a walk, training him or laying on the floor cuddling with him, maybe brushing him. with cats they are asleep right now and will be for about four more hours then they will get up I'll wave their toys around for a few minutes, then go play fetch with Neko (cat) which is the highlight of my day and then they will sleep some more and wake up and start breaking things, eating plastic bags, scratching furniture and there is not much you can do to teach them not to you must prevent it all the time. I LOVE my cats don't get me wrong but I get bored easily and need something to do, and a cat can't provide that. So yes dogs are hands down more work and I would never want it any other way.