Giving eyedrops

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, after the vet visit on Wednesday, JR has a scratched third eyelid(not from the vet, from Jack), but I am having such a hard time trying to give him the eyedrops. His eye hurts, so he doesn't want anyone to touch it, but I have to force it open enough to get the drops in. He's 14lbs. and none of this is easy. Does anyone have any "tricks of the trade" that might make this go easier on the both of us? I feel so bad

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you're having to go through this. If it were me, I would wrap him up in a towel very snugly with only his head sticking out.....lay him down on the ground on his back and straddle him.....then with one hand holding his head and eye open, put the drops in with the other hand. I'm sure it is easier said than done, but that's how I would attempt it.
I hope JR starts feeling better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

Sorry you're having to go through this. If it were me, I would wrap him up in a towel very snugly with only his head sticking out.....lay him down on the ground on his back and straddle him.....then with one hand holding his head and eye open, put the drops in with the other hand. I'm sure it is easier said than done, but that's how I would attempt it.
I hope JR starts feeling better soon.

He's sooo strong though! I had my mom help me yesterday, but he does this... well, I don't know what you would normally call it, but I call it backpedaling? That and a mix of jack rabbit kicking and noone can hold him still. I guess I'll try sitting on him
He's just so stressed out from all this, and now running from me the moment he sees me. He hates me now

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had Radar on eyedrops this last week for conjunctivitis - he is not keen at all and struggles, but he tolerates it better if he is shown that there is one of his favourite treat sticks still in its wrapper waiting for him when the ordeal is over.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wrap him up in a towel as mentioned above and SCRUFF HIM! That is the best way to do it if he cannot move because he is being restrained.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

We've had Radar on eyedrops this last week for conjunctivitis - he is not keen at all and struggles, but he tolerates it better if he is shown that there is one of his favourite treat sticks still in its wrapper waiting for him when the ordeal is over.
He gets treats everytime I'm done. It's just hard because it has to be done every 4-6 hours.

Originally Posted by Jen

Wrap him up in a towel as mentioned above and SCRUFF HIM! That is the best way to do it if he cannot move because he is being restrained.

I've tried scruffing. He's very broad through the shoulder and neck area, so it's not easy to do. The vet couldn't even get him scruffed properly. If all else fails I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and just hope he knows I am doing this all for him.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had to clean out ears on big kitties who have fought me, it's a pain in the butt.
Towel him tightly, make sure to get both of the front feet down and wrap over the shoulders, don't forget to tuck tight around the back so he can't backpedal out. Then sit on him, sit on the floor with him between your legs/you slightly over him. I suggest a bathroom incase you have problems, easy to retry since he can't go far.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sending prayers and hugs from Mississippi that this gets easier to do.

I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Jaz had the same thing but we had to give her an ointment and rub it into the inner corner of her eye. Scratching and distrating worked for me, other times i just had to go straight into it, sort of have my arm around her so i could hold her head and eye open at the same time and just put it straight in. Mind you she is 2 and fully grown but small. Maybe get a second person to help if it's too hard

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been having to give my Callie drops recently. I put her on the bathroom counter or the washing machine, tuck her under my arm and use my body as a block to her backing off the surface. (I usually tuck her under my left arm.) With my left hand, I grab her head, thumb under her chin, pointer finger above her right eye. Then I gently tilt her head back, pull up on her eyelid and drop the drops in. My vet showed me how to do this and it works fairly well. I've only had a few misses.

Stephanie