Spider Bite

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is anyone else allergic to "non-poisonous" spiders? I'm talking about the ones other than Brown Recluse and Black Widow. Whenever I get bitten, it takes a total of two months (or more) for the swelling and itching to completely go away.

I put Benedryl cream on the bite, and use tea tree soap, and those help. But, I can't take oral antihistamines or any over-the-counter meds. Does anyone have any "natural" remedies for spider bites? I would appreciate suggestions.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please go see a doctor!!! Natural remedies really don't help if the bite is infected and needs to be lanced. often times to keep an infection from spreading into the rest of your body- you need medicine for it. (i'm not sure if you're is infected or not but it was worth mentioning) i have been bitten on 3 seperate and very painful occassions by brown recluse spiders (unfortunately they love living in the south near me
). I got so sick from the second bite i had to be hospitalized....so to me i really don't take spider bites lightly. I have the scars to prove it. And to this day..the scars right in the middle of them are still sensitive to the touch. Please let a doctor or dermatologist look at your bite and advise you on the best course of action to take. (perhaps they can recommend something more herbal for you to take- but please don't go by just what's on the internet- get a medical professional's advice.) Even if it's not a typically poisinous spider- you might have a sensitivity /allergy to it- and if it is important enough for you to post about on here- it is important enough for you to get it seen by a doctor just to be safe
Also- if the bite is deep down in your skin- topical ointments will not help (i found that out with the brown recluse bites after my doctor told me about that.)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also- take a sharpie and draw a circle around the spider bite....watch it like a hawk. even if it is a non-poisinious spider- you might be allergic to it. if the redness around the bite grows out of the circle- get to the doctor asap. (when i first got bit by the brown recluse spiders the first time- that bite was REALLLY REALLY red, the bite turned into a boil and the red raised area spread over a massive part of my leg and the center started oozing green junk (i know that's gross but it just goes to show how painful they can be.) i had to go to the er to get medicine and have it lanced- that is one of the most painful things i've ever been though! And i've been through it 3 times. I also had to take warm baths to soak the areas that got bit. I have two scars from different bites on my legs and one on my left hip. / Also- do you have a head board on your bed? a wooden one? Check it- spiders like to make nests in wooden furniture- also have a pesticide company come out and check your house and your attick (wolf spiders if you have those are non-posinious but LOVE to hang out in atticks)

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ALL spider bites are venomous, to a degree. Their venom is a specialized digestive juice, which breaks down tissue. If you have a severe reaction to spider bites, you need medical attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

... i have been bitten on 3 seperate and very painful occassions by brown recluse spiders...
YIKES, Brown Recluse spiders are wicked, wicked, wicked! By some miracle I managed to avoid those while living in the South. I appreciate your warning because those are nasty bites, and can cause all sorts of complications.

This is just an ordinary spider bite, though, I'm allergic to everything it seems. It's not spreading, it's just annoying, and very itchy. I'm seeing a dermatologist in a couple of weeks (routine mole mapping), and will talk to him about the bite if it is still itching then (which I'm sure it will). I promise I'll go to the doctor sooner if the bite gets worse instead of better!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Is anyone else allergic to "non-poisonous" spiders? I'm talking about the ones other than Brown Recluse and Black Widow. Whenever I get bitten, it takes a total of two months (or more) for the swelling and itching to completely go away.

I put Benedryl cream on the bite, and use tea tree soap, and those help. But, I can't take oral antihistamines or any over-the-counter meds. Does anyone have any "natural" remedies for spider bites? I would appreciate suggestions.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
My son use to have a reaction to ordinary house spider bites....he would swell and get all red. It would turn to a hard lump and be there for a month or two. Did you try Lanacane, or any cream with Hydrocortisone should help.
Good luck, let me know how it works.
Denise

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furry4fury

...Did you try Lanacane, or any cream with Hydrocortisone should help...
I'll pick some up today.

My daughter has a horrible reaction, too, like your son did. The skin under her eyes goes maroon, and she swells up. Her doctor gave her a steroid cream (I'd forgotten about that), and oral Benadryl.