do ya use coupons?are ya thrifty?

firsttimeowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
me i use em hect yeah i use em. and im a male in his 30.s but i use em and cut em out of papper every week some freinds teaseme to they see my food supply i have things like shrimp. the fancy albocore tuna.i have so many cans a food i dont have room and also a deep freezer full a food..i never buy anything thats not on sale and reserch every item i buy.but coupons are great lots of times ya can get free stuff with em lol sometimes they even pay ya to get the item

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes i use the coupons if it's for something i want. Not everything i buy is on special because obviousely there are certain brands i like to stick to, and not chop and change.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cut them out every week, search the grocery store ads, price match them at Walmart (except fresh meat- really don't like 99% of WM's meat
), stock the deep freeze...
I'm even starting to get the feel for when stuff rolls back around on sale in my town, and how long I have to stock up for inbetween

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firsttimeowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i love chicken a few weeks ago i found it for 78 per lb per chicken breast.im also cheap on power for my house i only use cfl light bulbs

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner

i love chicken a few weeks ago i found it for 78 per lb per chicken breast.
Dang! where did you find that? Boneless, skinless? Great deal!

Hilda >^..^<

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If i have them i use them!
It saves money and that extra money means more money in my savings account
I am about to take out an order for the Sunday paper once i move all of my things into Colins- because while you only pay about $12 a year for the sunday paper- you SOOOOOOOOOo make up for it with the cupons! You can save soooo much money with them. I work at a grocery store right now (i usually run the entire floral dpt, but when they need me i cashier too) i've seen people save over $100 on their grocery bills with cupons alone! They really are worth it
Also- make sure you ask your cashier to double the cupons if they are able to!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I used to be part of a local coupon exchange club and really got into using coupons.

I remember once I went shopping at a new Safeway store in my city. The day I went it was "double coupon" day, without limit to the dollar value of the initial coupon. I had a number of coupons that were $1.00 and $2.00 each, plus I had some coupons for free items from manufacturers and I took advantage of "buy one get one free".

I think I bought about $180.00 worth of groceries and they gave me almost $20.00 back at the till. The groceries didn't cost me a single penny. I was rather proud of myself! That never happened again though, and I don't think the stores have double coupon days anymore.

Occasionally I still use a coupon but I'm not fanatical like I was back then. I really should start because you can save some serious money provided you are buying things that you would normally buy and not buying just so you can save 20 cents. No point buying stuff you wouldn't normally buy just to save a few cents at the till because that ends up costing you instead of saving.

One thing I learned from my coupon days is to ask people you know if they want to trade coupons. Also various news papers and magazines have coupons you can cut out. Now with the addition of the internet you can go online to many different companies and print out coupons. That goes for phoning up companies asking if they have any coupons they could send you so that you can try their products. I can't tell you how many coupons I've gotten for completely 100% free products like Crest Toothpaste or Tide laundry detergent, toilet paper, cleaning solutions, pet food etc. Companies are gung ho to send out coupons to get people to try their products. It's good customer service.

There are also food surveys that you can do. I've taken a few when they've been delivered to my home by bulk mail. I take a few minutes to fill out a grocery survey and in return they send me $50 worth of store coupons. You can probably find such surveys online.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do the mail food survey too and they do send out alot of high price coupons.
I don't buy alot of things that need coupons but I usually will bring them along when I shop.
We get most of our meat either at one grocery store or an area butcher shop. At the butcher shop I kind of know their special -when they are going to appear and take advantage-ground chuck last week was $1.59/lb and boneless chix breast not uncommon to find for $1.89/1.99 a pound.
There is alot of grocery store competition going on so good buys are easy to find.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

I cut them out every week, search the grocery store ads, price match them...
I do that too. I think it's fun actually!

I'm so hardcore about it I take each circular from all stores and write down all the sale prices for each store on one list and stick it in my coupon book. Many times I don't know which store I'll end up in or I can choose the better deal. I include drugstores and Target too. This way, when I end up "just running in" I can consult my list and know exactly what to take advantage of while there.

I dont know if I'm truly saving much in the long run, but I sure enjoy doing it.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

I do that too. I think it's fun actually!

I'm so hardcore about it I take each circular from all stores and write down all the sale prices for each store on one list and stick it in my coupon book. Many times I don't know which store I'll end up in or I can choose the better deal. I include drugstores and Target too. This way, when I end up "just running in" I can consult my list and know exactly what to take advantage of while there.

I dont know if I'm truly saving much in the long run, but I sure enjoy doing it.
Me too! My grocery list is on one side; my "stores" list (where, what and how much) is on the other!
It is great fun when I get a really good bargain, or whittle down how much I spend in total. It's a challenge (born out of neccessity, but at least it is something I look forward to each week!)
My DH knows that I want the drugstore, Target, Kmart ads and the coupons every week out of the Sunday paper, and the grocery store ads on Wed. morning
. And the comics...

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
in this house u need to use coupons
my dads really cheap and well i only like name brand stuff it always tastes better and i am also very picky and then u have my brother who gives money for food and my dad does his shopping and yet my brother insists on eating everyone elses food too
but my dad has always used coupons so naturally me being cheap as well i usually ask him if he has a coupon for this or that and well hell go in his little envelope where he keeps the ones he cuts and gets it out for me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firsttimeowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
today was nice and bad they ganme me like 3x coupons but i had to cut em all out took me a hour.but i got some great deals on the way

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh. I'm not especially thrifty...at least, I never quite learned how to go out of my way to be thrifty!

So no, I don't use coupons. There never are coupons for Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and Dominick's has the savings card (which I have) and I don't have a Jewel anywhere near me, and they seem to be the ones with the coupons.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use coupons. I tried once, but it was a horrible experience,( I cut them all out, Took over an hour and ended up forgetting all of them!!) so I never tried it again, I just don't over spend. I make a list and buy what I need and not to much more.

I know what I can spend so I work within that and I am fine.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not typically..... We usually shop at Walmart except for meats. (Do they even accept coupons? I'm always wanted to ask someone that question
I honestly don't know!) My Mom is a coupon junkie, but then she had to be being a single parent and then having 5 kids to feed after getting re-married! I used to be the coupon holder at the grocery store....and never liked that job.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a big coupon hoarder. I had to learn what Natlie ca said - don't buy it unless you actually need/want to use it. Sometimes I'll get something just because it's on sale and really that just costs you more if you don't use it.
I used to compare grocery shops, but then I figured I just wasted time & gas going out of my way to another shop just for the specials. Sonow I just shop at my two local stores and work out a menu each week based on specials and what we already have.