Eyelid twitch?

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am almost never sick - I can't remember the last time I got a cold - maybe seven or eight years ago? Longer for the flu. But about three weeks ago I was really ill one day - it felt kind of like the flu-whole body hurt, didnt feel like moving, no appetite. it lasted all day, and I felt better the next day. But starting that next day, my right eyelid started twitching...and it hasn't stopped! It's been three weeks now. I know the advice is go to the doctor, and I'm going to next week most likely, but I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone? It's been going on for three weeks.. everyday, except for a few days last week where it didnt happen. It seems to happen more when I blink or touch my eye, but it also happens when I'm not doing those things.. its not constant, but maybe a few times every hour or every 2-4 hours.

I googled it and apparently most of the time it's harmless, but occasionally is a sign of something more serious. I stopped googling cos I was making myself nervous reading about all the things it could be.

I guess my question is just - anyone ever had this? What caused it? Did it resolve on its own, or did you have to get treatment?

Thanks

amandaofcols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine did that the other day twitched for almost 10 straight hours without stopping.. It was about to drive me bonkers, but it finally went away on it's own.. As for it twitching for 3 days.. I dunno.. Never had that happen before..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Amandaofcols

Mine did that the other day twitched for almost 10 straight hours without stopping.. It was about to drive me bonkers, but it finally went away on it's own.. As for it twitching for 3 days.. I dunno.. Never had that happen before..
3 weeks, actually. A girl I know on another board - hers has been twitching for a week and a half, and she's worried too - she's going to the doctor in a day or two to see what they say.

I just wonder, since it started the day after I was ill, if something happened when I was sick to make it start twitching? I have no idea what I had - I didnt have a runny nose or a cough.. I just felt like crap.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine twitches several times a week...usually my left eye. I've heard its stress related...which makes lots of sense in my case.

Hope ya feel better soon!
Hilda >^..^<

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

Mine twitches several times a week...usually my left eye. I've heard its stress related...which makes lots of sense in my case.

Hope ya feel better soon!
Hilda >^..^<
Thanks.. its a little annoying sometimes, but I can live with it.. it's just that the worrying part of me can't help wonder if it's something really wrong. Will definately go to the doctor tho.

Trouts Mom - yeah once a week would be cool, but three or four times every couple hours - thats 40 or 50 times a day.. it's not really so cool. Sometimes it twitches so much it makes the vision in that eye blurry for a second.

Hopefully they can figure out what's wrong with it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine does that off and on. My nose does it too! Usually it starts with stress and too much time at the computer. For it to stop I just take it easy in the evenings and don't use my eyes really. So no tv, no reading, no computer. Sucks but better than the eye/nose twitch!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had the eye twitch occasionally. Once I had a chin twitch for about 4 days. If you looked closely, you could see it.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had the eyelid twitch, and it's either been to stress, too much caffeine or not enough sleep. It's lasted for several days, but not weeks. Have you been taking medicine? I'd think epinepherine (in Sudafed) could act like caffeine.

auntsewissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have that problem, being an optician, I often look through machines with one eye open. Over time it caused my other eye to twitch from the constant strain. Dr said it was a pinched nerve and to put a warm compress couple times a day. Now, I've trained myself to look through the machines with both eyes open and "ignore" what I see from the non-dominant eye (which is more accurate for that type of work anyway). It hasn't twitch since.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okeefecl

I've had the eyelid twitch, and it's either been to stress, too much caffeine or not enough sleep. It's lasted for several days, but not weeks. Have you been taking medicine? I'd think epinepherine (in Sudafed) could act like caffeine.
nope, haven't been taking any medicine. I can't have caffeine or epinephrine, at any time. I may try the warm compress thing and see if it helps...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My DH has had an eyelid twitch for about 3 months now!
Not constantly of course, but off and on throughout the day. It was driving him nuts (and me every time he said "my eyes twitching, look!!"), but it's finally settling down.

Apparently having "long term" twitching is common and there's nothing you can do about it.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

My DH has had an eyelid twitch for about 3 months now!
Not constantly of course, but off and on throughout the day. It was driving him nuts (and me every time he said "my eyes twitching, look!!"), but it's finally settling down.

Apparently having "long term" twitching is common
thanks, that makes me feel a bit better
I keep worrying it's a sign of a severe neurological defect (the bf would say "well I've been telling you you have that for years :p"

and there's nothing you can do about it.
actually I've googled, and they can inject botox into the nerve to stop it from twitching, or in some cases, do surgery to repair or remove the nerve.. but thats only if it's really interfering with your life, which mine isn't *knock on wood*. I can deal with it happening, just want to make sure it's not a sign of something serious

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it never hurts to get it looked at. But i have had one off and on depends on my stress level. During the last year of college it was doing that the whole year. for me i found back then, smoking made it stop(not that i am saying to start smoking)

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I have that happen. And yes, sometimes for several weeks at a time. It's almost always when I'm really stressed and/or not sleeping enough. I wish I knew how to make it stop, because it does drive me crazy!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had the eye twitch also. Stress was the biggest cause for me. EVERYTIME I had to deal with my ex-husband my eye (left) would twitch so hard that people would comment on it. (Is that rude or what...the commenting) Anyway, he's no longer amongst us, but sometimes when I have a stressful day at work it flares up. Not on the same level as dealing with the ex but annoying.
Otherwise, one eye may be working harder than the other to focus. A trip to the eye Dr. may put your mind (and eye) at ease.
Good luck!