TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Safety!! Keeping cats indoor!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Safety!! Keeping cats indoor!

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hello everybody!!

First post here.....great site, I love it!

I'm a proud daddy of a 6 mos old Exotic Shorthair kitten named Señor Don Gato Maximilian (AKA Max) and I have one major concern......Let me explain....

My last Cat named "kitty" who was a rescue 12 years ago died this past Summer due to the fact that he always wanted to escape and run outside ( he was strictly an indoor cat)....one day he managed to do just that by sneaking around and rushing outside the moment we open the door.............a few hours later he was found dead in the alley. Needless to say, broke my heart.

Now that I have Max, I'm very paranoid every time the door need to be opened. My question: How can I discourage Max from running to the door every time it's open? Is there anything I could use to keep him away from outside doors?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, look forward to your advise,

Señor Don Gato

[url=http://imageshack.us][/UR

[url=http://imageshack.us][/URL
post #2 of 11
You can make it unpleasant to be near a door. Have a water bottle that you can squirt (mist) at him when he comes near the door. A few times of that and he should back off.

We try to throw a toy on the other side of the room and make sure both cats are not near the door when opened.
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
You can make it unpleasant to be near a door. Have a water bottle that you can squirt (mist) at him when he comes near the door. A few times of that and he should back off.

We try to throw a toy on the other side of the room and make sure both cats are not near the door when opened.
We do the same things. We will try to get Karma to run into the bedroom after a toy. The trick is be ready to go and make a bee line for the door. Don't stall. We usually make it in time. She does not really try to get out as much now. She has realized its much warmer and safer inside. Plus all the food she wants.
We also discovered that she hates bubbles. We got her catnip ones for Chritsmas but she runs and hides from them when we blow theem. So we use those now. Who knew, bubbles!
A vacuum works well to. Cats hate vacuums. They think they will be eaten. Keep it by the door, pluged in and every time Max tries to go near the door just turn it on. Cats hate loud noises. A coffee can with rocks will work to.

Good luck and WELCOME
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Good advise!! I will surely try the suggestions!!

Thanks for the warm welcome, hope to be around for the long run...thanks again,

Señor Don Gato
post #5 of 11
I don't use this often, but when I need to come IN the front door, I just ring the doorbell first ...that guarantees no kitties will be near the door.
post #6 of 11
Going out the door: I conditioned them by bending over and clapping my hands at them to get them to move away from the door, and at the same time letting out a "HEY". Now the "HEY" gets them to move.

Coming in the door: I put my foot in first and wiggle it at them with a loud "HEY". Now the "HEY" works as I open the door.

I do have one escape artist that no longer tries when I'm at a door, but if an unsuspecting guest comes over, its a different story.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
I don't use this often, but when I need to come IN the front door, I just ring the doorbell first ...that guarantees no kitties will be near the door.
Awsome advice! Singa will go in hiding when the doorbell goes off.
My phone has an sms tone just like the doorbell in my old house, even then she dashed unter the couch! HAHAHAHAHA
post #8 of 11
What an adorable kitty you have! I hope she stays inside to!
post #9 of 11
Thanks for the ideas about getting cats away from the door. We just always make sure to put whatever we're carrying down in front of Dulcinea as we enter the house (thus blocking her from coming any further) and this works well. Ever since she's been spayed, she doesn't seem to even desire to go out. Last weekend when the pizza man arrived with her favorite calzone...she came to the door while I was paying him...stepped out just a bit over the threshold...and then looked back at me as if to say, "Oh I forgot---I'm not suppose to go out here am I?" Then I said, "Dulcinea---no...come back in please!" and she ran back in quickly.

Fr. Gregg
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
I don't use this often, but when I need to come IN the front door, I just ring the doorbell first ...that guarantees no kitties will be near the door.
Petunia (RIP) hated the doorbell and would go hide. One day she got outside and I couldn't get near her. I ended up just ringing the doorbell while holding the door open. She ran inside and hid.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Don Gato View Post
Hello everybody!!

First post here.....great site, I love it!

I'm a proud daddy of a 6 mos old Exotic Shorthair kitten named Señor Don Gato Maximilian (AKA Max) and I have one major concern......Let me explain....

My last Cat named "kitty" who was a rescue 12 years ago died this past Summer due to the fact that he always wanted to escape and run outside ( he was strictly an indoor cat)....one day he managed to do just that by sneaking around and rushing outside the moment we open the door.............a few hours later he was found dead in the alley. Needless to say, broke my heart.

Now that I have Max, I'm very paranoid every time the door need to be opened. My question: How can I discourage Max from running to the door every time it's open? Is there anything I could use to keep him away from outside doors?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, look forward to your advise,

Señor Don Gato

[url=http://imageshack.us][/UR

[url=http://imageshack.us][/URL
The main way to get out of our house is through the garage since we always enter and leave via the garage. Persi used to time the opening of the garage door with the subsequent opening of the door into the house and be out and scoot under the garage door just as it was closing. I have no idea why this even interested him since I bought him at the ripe young age of only 7 weeks and he had never been outside. I found the cure however. His path to escape was running under the car and then out under the garage door just as it was closing. I gave Persi just enough time to get to under the car and then leaned on the car horn which was amplified by the garage confinement. Now we can leave that door wide open while carrying in groceries of something and he just looks out filled with fear of the big monster SUV that is there to get him. (Yes, it has a remote horn honker.) Our newest cat, Alley, who came from an alley, shows not interest in EVER going outside ever again in her life which I am guessing is because of the bad experiences she had while being an alley cat. I do not like scaring or being mean to cats and the car honking was temporarily mean but it did the job and quite possibly kept me from finding a squashed Persi by the side of the road some day. I can understand your paranoia quite well and respect it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Safety!! Keeping cats indoor!