Mix-It-Up Snacks For The Do-It-Yourselfer!!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up a couple of my family's favourite breakfast cereals. When I got home & was puttin' my purchases away, I noticed that I had 3 Tupperware containers in my pantry with about a cup and a half each of other cereals. (I'll mention here that I have a 'fear' of creepy crawly things getting into my cereal, rice or other boxed foods so I put everything into plastic containers like Tupperware, Rubbermaid, etc just to keep them well sealed). Just wanted to share with y'all what I've learned to do when faced with such a 'dilemma'!
I learned this from my hubby...he in turn got this idea from his dad, may he rest in peace. I just mixed up all the leftovers into one container...now I have a great, interesting cereal mix to enjoy either with milk (soy for this little kitty please) or just to snack on. I usually put a little zip loc baggie filled with this in my hubby's lunch...nice afternoon snack for him.

We do the same thing with chips...Fritos, Doritos...whatever. When we're down to the last bit and have several bags, we just mix 'em all up and make our own 'original' chip mix...its never the same thing twice and really yummy.

Do any of y'all ever mix up stuff like this?

Hilda >^..^<

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

I went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up a couple of my family's favourite breakfast cereals. When I got home & was puttin' my purchases away, I noticed that I had 3 Tupperware containers in my pantry with about a cup and a half each of other cereals. (I'll mention here that I have a 'fear' of creepy crawly things getting into my cereal, rice or other boxed foods so I put everything into plastic containers like Tupperware, Rubbermaid, etc just to keep them well sealed). Just wanted to share with y'all what I've learned to do when faced with such a 'dilemma'!
I learned this from my hubby...he in turn got this idea from his dad, may he rest in peace. I just mixed up all the leftovers into one container...now I have a great, interesting cereal mix to enjoy either with milk (soy for this little kitty please) or just to snack on. I usually put a little zip loc baggie filled with this in my hubby's lunch...nice afternoon snack for him.

We do the same thing with chips...Fritos, Doritos...whatever. When we're down to the last bit and have several bags, we just mix 'em all up and make our own 'original' chip mix...its never the same thing twice and really yummy.

Do any of y'all ever mix up stuff like this?

Hilda >^..^<
I mix my cereals up too!
I thought i was the only one
I only mix them together though if they'll taste good together (some just shoudln't be mixed
found that out from a gross experience
)

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only cereal mixing I do is for Chex party mix!! With just the two of use I don't have lots of stuff around to mix unless its veggies. I do buy and mix nuts together for Neil to take to work as a snack though.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely agree with the cereal thing - so much more interesting that the same old thing!!

I am also a great fan of what my mum used to call 'bung it cookery' - grab all the left overs out of the fridge and 'bung it' all into a pan together, and see what you end up with!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4BadCats

I am also a great fan of what my mum used to call 'bung it cookery' - grab all the left overs out of the fridge and 'bung it' all into a pan together, and see what you end up with!!
me too

I also mix my cereals when it gets down to too little to bother with keeping the box

auntsewissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mix raisins, peanuts and pretzels into a container. Sometimes add a few choco chips. That combo has the sweet/salty thing going on, and I love that. It's better for you than a candy bar or chips