Introducing my New Cats

jasmine93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hope fully I get this on the right board! I'm new to being a cat owner and we recently adopted 2 kitties. I think I know pretty much what I'm doing but I'm a bit unsure as to how to introduce them. They have never been together before and so I don't what to do it the wrong way and make them hate each other! We're bringing them home Saturday morning so any advice you have would be really great

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jasmine93

Hope fully I get this on the right board! I'm new to being a cat owner and we recently adopted 2 kitties. I think I know pretty much what I'm doing but I'm a bit unsure as to how to introduce them. They have never been together before and so I don't what to do it the wrong way and make them hate each other! We're bringing them home Saturday morning so any advice you have would be really great
I believe the right forum is NEW CATS ON THE BLOCK. I will be watching there for pictures!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome!
If you read the stickies, you will get lots of advice on proper introductions. You have not said how old the cats were or their individual histories, so if the stickies do not seem to apply to you, please feel free to post your questons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasmine93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the warm welcome! I read the stickies but I didn't really find an exact answer to the question I have. THe two threads on there seemed to be about introducing a new cat to the cat you already have. But I am getting two totally new cats that have never met before. One is a male and is 5 months old and the other is female and is about 4 months old. So my exact question I guess is can I just let them both go and wander around the house and just find each other when they do, or should I let one stay in a room and the other around the house and introduce them later?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually at that age (both spayed/neutered) it would not be too much in intros. I'd wash both of them so they smell the same and not pick up any other cat smells.

They will hiss a bit at each other, but I honestly would just put them in the same room in this case. Just keep an eye on them. Get 2 food bowls so they don't have to share right away.

I'm assuming they ARE spayed/neutered! If not, get them done now- at that age they can and will breed.