TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food › Need a crash course in raw feeding!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need a crash course in raw feeding!

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
OK, so I'm seaching the forums & a member of yahoo raw feeding groups, but I really need to switch Damita right away! She's having the worst allergic reaction I've seen, she lost control of her bowels this morning & pooped herself! Vet says it's an allergic reaction to her food....

How do I go about raw feeding? I have no vet to help me with this, either....
post #2 of 21
OOOOHHHH okay... your PM box will have some info this evening...

for now too raw food sites ( yes they make it but good info)

www.omaspride.com

www.barfdirect.com

www.catinfo.org great info
post #3 of 21
i'm beginning to wonder if luxor's itching/pooping issues (not the litterbox one) is an allergy too.....
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renovia View Post
i'm beginning to wonder if luxor's itching/pooping issues (not the litterbox one) is an allergy too.....
You can always go the "food trial" route! I got lucky & discovered that nature's prarie makes pre-made raw foods & I can get them at the pet store that's an hour away from me! It's how I'm gonna start, then I'll learn how to actually make my own food....
post #5 of 21
i may do that. . .i'll look up that product.
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
You can always go the "food trial" route! I got lucky & discovered that nature's prarie makes pre-made raw foods & I can get them at the pet store that's an hour away from me! It's how I'm gonna start, then I'll learn how to actually make my own food....
Only problem with the natures variety raw patties is that there are a LOT of ingredients, so while it's great for a raw beginner, it may not be so good for a kitty who's having allergy issues.
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar View Post
Only problem with the natures variety raw patties is that there are a LOT of ingredients, so while it's great for a raw beginner, it may not be so good for a kitty who's having allergy issues.
Thank you for wording it so well
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar View Post
Only problem with the natures variety raw patties is that there are a LOT of ingredients, so while it's great for a raw beginner, it may not be so good for a kitty who's having allergy issues.
Are there any other reccomendations? I mean, the vet told me that it is rare for a kitty to have an allergic reaction to the SD d/d & had me put her on i/d. So basically we aren't even dealing with the high urine pH, we are just trying to get the stools normal & stop the vomiting. She's also on Benadryl 2x a day to stop the itching. Hopefully I'll see some results by Sunday. Sunday I am making a trip to the pet store & buying some Nature's Prarie....I don't know what else to do, I am not prepared to make a homemade raw diet!

I reall all the links & I'm still lost....
post #9 of 21
Well I'd definatley TRY the NV raw, as raw is always the better option. Check around in your area to see if any other pre-made raws are available, as there are many on the market, and perhaps you can find one with less ingredients, and less of a chance of causing more reaction in your poor cat.
I know a lot of Canadian brands, but not so many in the US... maybe Sharky will have a list of what's available? I think she uses Bravo.
post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
I doubt anything else is locally avaliable. This pet store is the only one that would carry pre-made raw within an hour's drive. I'll definately ask the pet store if they know of any place else that would carry pre-made raw!
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
I just saw Nature's Variety Prairie also makes a freeze dried diet.... That is freeze dried raw, correct? Does anyone have any experience/reccomendations with the freeze dried?
post #12 of 21
Definitely a good choice.

Here are some sites that are priceless for the newbie

http://www.rawfed.com/

http://www.holisticat.com/rawrecipe.html

http://www.rawfedcats.org/

I'm feeding 3 of my cats Raw right now- the other 2 wont touch it! lol GOOD LUCK! If you need more tips ask away.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I just saw Nature's Variety Prairie also makes a freeze dried diet.... That is freeze dried raw, correct? Does anyone have any experience/reccomendations with the freeze dried?
Yes ... I would suggest it but it is the same ingrediants as the raw and quite$$$$
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Nevermind then! I can just as well feed her the raw for now....I can't get her to eat the SD i/d straight, I've been mixing it 50/50 with Pro Pac Beef which i know doesn't make her sick.... Sunday night I'll start her on the raw!
post #15 of 21
Good luck! Keep us updated on how it goes
post #16 of 21
Thread Starter 
Ummm...how long before I would know if feeding raw is "working" for her? With all the symptoms she's got, I have no doubt that there's something else going on, I just don't know what symptoms fit what & when I should see some improvement after switching to raw.
post #17 of 21
Usually it takes about a month or so to see if things are improving.

Unless she goes through a detox. Some animals when they go on raw, go through a detoxificaiton process, to eliminate toxins that have built up in their bodies (steroids and medications, crappy foods, etc all cause toxins to build up in the body). In this case, it might get worse before it gets better, and you've got to tough it out to see the results.

Buddy went though a slight detox when we transitioned to raw, he lost a bit of fur on his back and got a bit itchy, and he doesn't have allergies! So you might experience this.
post #18 of 21
My question is where can you get a meat grinder? http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/confused.gif You know the kind they use, do they sell them online? Also if you ask a local bucher/mines von honsens meats/ will they give you or can order for you the parts from the meat companies that humans don't eat (brains,kiddneys,eyes, guts)
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
Are there any other reccomendations? I mean, the vet told me that it is rare for a kitty to have an allergic reaction to the SD d/d & had me put her on i/d. So basically we aren't even dealing with the high urine pH, we are just trying to get the stools normal & stop the vomiting. She's also on Benadryl 2x a day to stop the itching. Hopefully I'll see some results by Sunday. Sunday I am making a trip to the pet store & buying some Nature's Prarie....I don't know what else to do, I am not prepared to make a homemade raw diet!

I reall all the links & I'm still lost....
ok - Luxor is currently on Wellness. . .and I don't think he's doing well on it. It works well for stoli but the above post really makes me think that there is an allergy going on.

Luxor has 'hershey squirts' more than normal stool. and no matter WHAT he's got it always is enough to gag a maggot. He does itch alot even now that we've treated the ear mites. Stoli doesn't itch as much as Luxor
post #20 of 21
Thread Starter 
Renovia, you might want to call your vet to ask about it! You can switch to a food like Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea for a trial. However, he could still be allergic to an ingredient in that. Probably the best first step is to call the vet, get a stool sample checked, see what the vet thinks in general.
post #21 of 21
i've done that already and his poop is a'ok - just runny
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food › Need a crash course in raw feeding!