TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Manx Kittens-&-eye Brow Hairs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Manx Kittens-&-eye Brow Hairs

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hey guys. My little kitten Zion has REALLY long eye brow hairs. Its the same length and texture as his whiskers. Can I cut it off!? It always gets caught in his eyes, and I think it looks kind of weird! but hes still very cute
I would post a picture, but i dont know how! haha

ALSO. MANX CATS..ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN GIVE ME THE BASICS

THANKS!
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearla View Post
Hey guys. My little kitten Zion has REALLY long eye brow hairs. Its the same length and texture as his whiskers. Can I cut it off!? It always gets caught in his eyes, and I think it looks kind of weird! but hes still very cute
I would post a picture, but i dont know how! haha

ALSO. MANX CATS..ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN GIVE ME THE BASICS

THANKS!
Don't cut his eyebrow whiskers!!! Trust me, he'll grow into them. These whiskers actually protect cats, a bit like antenna's do. I'm not sure that Manx cats have any distinguishing personality differences from most other cats...with the exception of the tail thing. Perhaps someone else can answer that part more thoroughly for you...and congrats on your new little baby!
post #3 of 14
Here is a couple great links to read about Manx cats.
http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/manx-faq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_(cat)

My girl Boo-Boo is at least part Manx, (I got her from the local pound, she was picked up as a stray). I at first thought she had a little Manx in her, but she has some of the problems of the that are fairly common to that breed so the vet and I agreed that she is probably a lot Manx.

One of the things that always tickles me to see is when she runs. She always runs like a rabbit, never like the other cats. She is smart and will chase toys when I throw them. I sometimes get a little nervous about her balance when she is climbing around because she seems to be a bit klutzier than the other cats.

I haven't taken any pics of the cats lately. I need to do that and get them posted to my album. You can see pics of my Boo and my other cats on my website.

Oh yeah... as wookie130 said never cut a cats whiskers or eyebrows. They are important for balance among other things. I had some links on cat whiskers, but can't find them at the moment, but if you google you will get a wealth of info.
post #4 of 14
My cat (Sphynx) doesn't have any whiskers but also doesn't have any balance problems and gets around 100% fine, it isn't a problem to go without whiskers for her at least.
Many dog show people trim whiskers on their dogs and performance dogs (including agility) and it doesn't mess them up as far as balance and coordination. Just my two cents, however, I would not cut the hair off of your cat.
post #5 of 14
Here's that link I wanted about cat whiskers.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/question592.htm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post
Here is a couple great links to read about Manx cats.
http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/manx-faq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_(cat)

My girl Boo-Boo is at least part Manx, (I got her from the local pound, she was picked up as a stray). I at first thought she had a little Manx in her, but she has some of the problems of the that are fairly common to that breed so the vet and I agreed that she is probably a lot Manx.

One of the things that always tickles me to see is when she runs. She always runs like a rabbit, never like the other cats. She is smart and will chase toys when I throw them. I sometimes get a little nervous about her balance when she is climbing around because she seems to be a bit klutzier than the other cats.

I haven't taken any pics of the cats lately. I need to do that and get them posted to my album. You can see pics of my Boo and my other cats on my website.

Oh yeah... as wookie130 said never cut a cats whiskers or eyebrows. They are important for balance among other things. I had some links on cat whiskers, but can't find them at the moment, but if you google you will get a wealth of info.
I have a manx mix, my stormie girls and man is she such a cutey pie when she runs like a rabbit and her balance is pretty good and everything but I do still get nervous, and ya I agree with Tru, my stormie is a lot clumzier than the other kitties Stormie also LOVES to play fetch (with six cats she is the only one that does) and she is just too funny sometimes, and she is very vocal but idk if thats part of the manx or not, and here are a few sites that have cat breeds and such

http://www.cats-central.com/cat-bree...eed-guide.html
and tru already gave u the one for wikepedia
post #7 of 14
Dont cut the hair
my kitty has eyebrow hairs too
She has some above her hairs
then whiskery things near her cheeks away from the actual whiskers
Its really weird looking lol
post #8 of 14
Sphynx lacking hair don't really have much need for tactile hairs (whiskers) as a fully coated cat, not to mention that they've never had them so had no need to learn compensation.
And cats are not dogs, tactile hairs on cats are so much more important to them than a dog's tactile hairs.

To remove the tactile hairs from a cat is almost like blindfolding a human and turnin them in a circle three times.
It is very confusing for them
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone for the informations. I really appreciate it!

AS for the MANX cat and balancing, I never really knew that was an issue! haha but I do understand what you mean about running like rabbits! I can surely compare my Zion to a baby bunny. I NEVER had a cat before so I dont know what to compare him too!! haha. Thats why im a VERY nervous/concerned mother because I dont know if his actions are right or wrong. I read and read about cats, but nothing is more helpful then a forum like this.

PS: HOW DO YOU TRAIN THEM TO FETCH!!??? TOO CUTE!
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococat View Post
My cat (Sphynx) doesn't have any whiskers but also doesn't have any balance problems and gets around 100% fine, it isn't a problem to go without whiskers for her at least.
Many dog show people trim whiskers on their dogs and performance dogs (including agility) and it doesn't mess them up as far as balance and coordination. Just my two cents, however, I would not cut the hair off of your cat.
I certainly was in error when I said balance with whiskers. I was trying to remember what I'd read and if you saw the how stuff works link I posted about whiskers, they mentioned navigation, not balance.

The balance thing always comes to mind when thinking of a tailless animal. A vet tech at my vets office told me that she heard about some studies in Germany about stopping the docking of Boxer's tails because it interferes with their balance. Since seeing first hand the occasional clumsiness of my Boo, I tend to believe it may interfere.

At any rate, my apologies for not being more diligent and keeping my facts a little straighter.
post #11 of 14
I was owned by a Manx once. The only things I noticed different about him were:

1) He had tail envy of any animal with a tail
2) He had a wide body and when he laid on my chest, his arms could wrap on either side of me without stretching them out.

Yes - he used to catch wall lizards simply to pull off their tails. He would swot the other cats and dogs tails when they wagged.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearla View Post

PS: HOW DO YOU TRAIN THEM TO FETCH!!??? TOO CUTE!
I don't know if others experience has been different, but the cats I've had that fetch just naturally did it to some extent ...I just encouraged them by playing along. They seem to catch on faster if they have a "target" to bring the item to. My cat Isis liked to bring foil balls back and put them on a book...sounds weird but at first, when the book wasn't in front of me, she wouldn't bring it back.

Paisley comes bounding back with her little furry toy mice...she likes to drop them in a shoe, but she'll bring it back even when the shoe isn't there.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post
The balance thing always comes to mind when thinking of a tailless animal. A vet tech at my vets office told me that she heard about some studies in Germany about stopping the docking of Boxer's tails because it interferes with their balance. Since seeing first hand the occasional clumsiness of my Boo, I tend to believe it may interfere.
I think that has more to do with Boxer goofiness, esp. those sweet boys

I own dogs with docked tails currently and have in the past and it does not one bit interfere with their balance. My current dogs with docked tails run agility, and have very clean and fast runs. Balance is a must in that dog sport. My dog are not clumsy and have lots of balance, speed, and overall agility.

Also, many hunting breeds get their tails docked and have no problems on the field for hunting purposes. I know of at least one herding breed that isn't born with a tail and yet herds with the best of 'em =) Frenchies and Bostons also don't have long "tails" but that doesn't make them clumsy.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearla View Post
Thanks everyone for the informations. I really appreciate it!

AS for the MANX cat and balancing, I never really knew that was an issue! haha but I do understand what you mean about running like rabbits! I can surely compare my Zion to a baby bunny. I NEVER had a cat before so I dont know what to compare him too!! haha. Thats why im a VERY nervous/concerned mother because I dont know if his actions are right or wrong. I read and read about cats, but nothing is more helpful then a forum like this.

PS: HOW DO YOU TRAIN THEM TO FETCH!!??? TOO CUTE!
Well my Stomrie just started doing it I threw her a toy when we were playing the one time next thing I know shes chasing after it and brings it back to me but because she is a runer we know play on the steps I throw it down usually and she goes and fetchs it and brings it right back and places it in my room we used to play in my room and i would throw it across and shed go and get it, So I guess maybe it was something natural to her and well when she did go and fetch I did encourage her to bring it back to me and i did tap my finger on the floor for her to drop it although now she doesnt listen to that she just drops it whever she wants too and also if we are playing fetch on the stairs she always puts her toys back in my room, its so funny because even if she is sleeping and I am cleaning and i throw a toy to move it there she goes to catch it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
I was owned by a Manx once. The only things I noticed different about him were:

1) He had tail envy of any animal with a tail
2) He had a wide body and when he laid on my chest, his arms could wrap on either side of me without stretching them out.

Yes - he used to catch wall lizards simply to pull off their tails. He would swot the other cats and dogs tails when they wagged.
see my Stormie had a tail envy of the other animals not so much any more though, but I do remember when she first came thats all she did was chase bellas tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
I don't know if others experience has been different, but the cats I've had that fetch just naturally did it to some extent ...I just encouraged them by playing along. They seem to catch on faster if they have a "target" to bring the item to. My cat Isis liked to bring foil balls back and put them on a book...sounds weird but at first, when the book wasn't in front of me, she wouldn't bring it back.

Paisley comes bounding back with her little furry toy mice...she likes to drop them in a shoe, but she'll bring it back even when the shoe isn't there.
See I also did encourage Stormie to bring it back and it was a natural thing to her i was so amazed because we have ALWAYS had cats in this house and not once did one play fetch until Stormie came along o and she loves her furry mice toys and yes my stormie loves to put any toy in my shoe and she will play with it that way if i am sleeping or doing school work, but usually i am a sucker and get up and play (although my shoes are now downstairs, putting my shoes on with some toys in there wasnt a great experience and a few times food as well )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Manx Kittens-&-eye Brow Hairs