Dishwasher Or Dish Washer?

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got done washing dishes and I have the obligatory 'wet spot' on my shirt to prove it!
Got me to wondering how many of y'all still wash dishes by hand and how many prefer to use their dishwashers instead.

I wash my dishes by hand almost 100% of the time. About the only time I do use the dishwasher is after festivities where there's likely to be lots & lots of dirty dishes...like Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Other than that, its a sinkful of hot, soapy water for my dishes!

How 'bout y'all?

Ooo, yeah, and what's your fav dishwashing method (for us handwashers) and fav dishwashing liquid?

Hilda >^..^<

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE my dishwasher. I would seriously die without it. I absolutely HATE washing dishes by hand, and when my dishwasher was broke for a week, I made us eat off of paper plates

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wash by hand
I hate it, but it has to be done
I use Sunlight dishsoap...but not sure what you mean by method

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dishwasher, but I still put every single dish in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I wash by hand
I hate it, but it has to be done
I use Sunlight dishsoap...but not sure what you mean by method
Yeah, I thought about that afterwards. Here's what I meant to say: I fill up my sink with very hot water and add the soap almost at the very end using the sprayer attachment to make lots of bubbles! I love lots and LOTS of soapy water! My sister's in law (all of them for some reason) start by adding water and right away they add the soap...which ends you up with lots of bubbles but very little water....I don't understand why they do that?

Hilda >^..^<

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glasses, cups, plates, silverware, etc go in the dishwasher. No matter what they advertise, if there's food thoroughly stuck on a pan you just have to scrub it off yourself

Pots, pans, and skillets are handwashed (cast iron is a little bulky for a dishwasher)

I start the water and put the soap in at the same time, while grabbing the least messy of the pots and pans to start washing before the sink is even full. This seems to kill a lot of the bubbles.
As for soap, usually anything lemon scented, if a scent is too strong I will get very nauseous from it.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wash by hand. When we built our house, we could have had a space in the kitchen for a built-in dishwasher, but I wasn't having any part of it. There's only the two of us, unless it's a big holiday meal, and then we have the good china out which couldn't go in a dishwasher anyway@

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put everything I can possibly fit in the dishwasher and use Electrosol tablets.

I do have some cat glasses that are not dishwasher safe and they are so cute, I don't want to ruin them. My dish soap is from Williams Sonoma.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

I wash by hand. ... There's only the two of us, unless it's a big holiday meal, and then we have the good china out which couldn't go in a dishwasher anyway@
Actually he washes the dishes and I have no idea what he uses so I had to go look - he has Palmolive and Dawn Antibacterial in there

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In general, I wash the dishes used regularly (like the cat food dishes) by hand with Sunlight. I have a mini-dishwasher that I use for pots, pans and Tupperware. On average I use the dishwasher 2 times a week, usually after I cook.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a dishwasher, his name is Reggie

I HATE doing dishes... I have OCD about slimy nasty things on my hands.. I also can't stand my hands to be dried out

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate washing dishes. I have hated it as much as when I was younger and had no dishwasher, and now when I have a dishwasher. It's all the same. Having the machine, just makes one make more dirty dishes. I'm still washing alot of pots and pans that take up too much room in the washer. I cooked less when I didn't have one. Now that I have one, I cook at home more hence more dishes! No win here.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I wash by hand...our kitchen won't really accommodate a dishwasher. Our house is a 1913 fixer-upper, and while the kitchen isn't tiny, our cupboard configuration wouldn't work with one. I don't know, I'd really almost rather do dishes than laundry. Laundry wouldn't be that bad if one didn't have to fold or hang the clothes, and put them away. That's rather traumatic for me.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

Well, I wash by hand...our kitchen won't really accommodate a dishwasher. Our house is a 1913 fixer-upper, and while the kitchen isn't tiny, our cupboard configuration wouldn't work with one. I don't know, I'd really almost rather do dishes than laundry. Laundry wouldn't be that bad if one didn't have to fold or hang the clothes, and put them away. That's rather traumatic for me.
Agree with that! A never ending process.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I HATE washing dishes by hand, so it's no wonder that they have this occassionaly tendency to pile up in my sink since I'm dishwasher-less for the first time in my life. Ugh. Hopefully, I'll have one in my next place! Although, Ian has volunteered as the Dish Washer after we move in together. (Phew!)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up without a dishwasher- so i've washed dishes by hand for years. At mine and my mom's duplex- we don't have a dishwasher....or a disposal....or anything like that. Everything is done by hand -we're just used to it. / At Colins he has a dishwasher and everything. I was in complete shock when we first stared dating because i didn't have to wash everything by hand or worry about stopping up the sink
He still catches me occassionally- i'll forget we have the dishwasher and wash them all by hand- he just laughs
/ As far as washing dishes by hand - I like Sunlight or Dawn.
When i use the dishwasher- I use the cascade 2 in 1 action gel packs (the apple cinnamon one). Normally when i remember- i will wash all plastics, some pet dishes, and objects we use every day by hand and put the rest in the dishwasher and run that once a week as needed

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have a dishwasher, I do em all by hand

Dawn Ultra fresh scent, and hot soapy scrubby, turning the water on to rinse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will say that although I almost always wash by hand...I almost always 'use' the dishwasher. Use is in quotes because I use the dishwasher to place my clean, wet dishes...rather than a plastic drainer tray. I've always used a tray but when we put our old house...or former house up for sale, I needed to be sure counters were not only clean but clear of clutter...aka plastic dish drainer with clean dishes. We decided that we'd wash the dishes, dry them & put the drainer in the cabinet under the sink. That worked for a while but then it just became too much of a chore to do every night in the hopes that the next day someone would show our house. It finally hit me all of a sudden...DOH! I've got this big, empty space that has all sorts of little hooks & stems and things for what??? To put clean dishes!!! So I said farethewell to the dish drainer and now I put my nice clean, wet hand washed dishes into the dishwasher, leaving them there to air dry with the door either closed or open! Works really well and my counters are much happier and clutter-less!

Oh yes, and we use Dawn, the original blue one since we can't use any of the anti-bacterial stuff that is harmful to our septic tank critters. I also keep a spray bottle with half bleach & half water...I spray a squirt or two into the dish water to help with that nasty ''egg'' smell that some dishes have...ugh.

Hilda >^..^<