Regarding Thread Titles..

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you prefer the kind that when you read the title, you have no idea what its all about and you like being surprised...something like: OMG This is crazy!!!!

...or do you prefer the title to tell you more about the thread with no surprises, like: Having trouble with my vacuum cleaner, please help!!!

Which kind of thread title do you prefer?

Hilda >^..^<

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer the ones that have the question in the first sentence or so, and definitely a desriptive title. If you put your cursor on the post, you get to read the first sentence without opening. If it doesn't catch my interest then, I don't read it. I'm not one to respond to questions such as where are you from? or how much makeup do you wear? I usually gravitate towards ones that usually need advice, or a political stance. But it is great that this site has something for everyone.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely prefer a title that gives me some idea what to expect in the post, so I don't waste time reading a topic that's outside my area of interest/knowledge. There's no way I can read everything, so I'm very likely to ignore the OMG!!!!! ones, in favour of a calmer approach.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm not as picky in the Cat Lounge. But the other forums like Health, Care and Nutrition, etc, I prefer a more descriptive title. "HELP - NEED HELP" means that I have to open the thread to see if I can contribute and most likely I may not read ut where as "Questions on UTI" will draw my attention.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer descriptive titles, like others said above, I am likely to ignore the OMG Help titles as I don't know what is in them and don't have time to read everything (unless it is a really slow day at work)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I prefer the ones that have the question in the first sentence or so, and definitely a desriptive title. If you put your cursor on the post, you get to read the first sentence without opening. If it doesn't catch my interest then, I don't read it. I'm not one to respond to questions such as where are you from? or how much makeup do you wear? I usually gravitate towards ones that usually need advice, or a political stance. But it is great that this site has something for everyone.
If it's not in the title, and not in the bit that comes up when I cursor over it, I don't bother reading it unless I happen to have a lot of time on my hands.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a Mod, I prefer a descriptive title - makes it easier for me to keep tabs on things.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer descriptive especially as I spend most of my time in the behaviour section.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds kinda unanimous to me!
I feel the same way - give me a reason to open the thread - a teaser can be fun, but there has to be some substance to it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the second.

Otherwise if it's just labeled "I NEED HELP" instead of Vacuum cleaner issues, please help" Then I know what the thread is about and determine whether I can help them.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I definitely prefer the calmer approach. It has been my experience that the more exclamation points in the title, the more trivial the "problem"!

No drama for me!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to know what's in the thread. Also I put my mouse over it and it will pop up the box and give you the first few lines and I read that! Then I know if I need to go all the way in. I don't always have a lot of time so I do the "major" ones first then go back to the others if I have time.. Especially at work. (That's why sometimes I post of kind of older threads, I'll subscribe and post when I can!)

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer the second title too. I just don't have time to read every thread in every forum! So a title that gives me a good idea what the thread is about helps me find those I want to contribute to easier.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't care either way. I tend to read the little blub that tells the first sentence or so and decide from that.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Definitely prefer a title that gives me some idea what to expect in the post, so I don't waste time reading a topic that's outside my area of interest/knowledge. There's no way I can read everything, so I'm very likely to ignore the OMG!!!!! ones, in favour of a calmer approach.
Yep, same here.