Pooping in same spot outside of litter box?

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my friends at school got a kitty a little while back, the cat is probably about 8 motnths old now, I dont know exactly, but looks pretty full grown. They recently adopted a dog as well, of course the dog and cat didn't get along well at first but are now friends. The dog had an accident a few weeks ago and pooped on the linoleum in their kitchen. Ever since, the cat will go and poop in that spot, EVERY SINGLE TIME she needs to ppop. She tried cleaning with animal odor cleaner, even tried moving the litter box to the spot. The kitty would just poop right by the box, so they moved the box back to normal space. I suggested using ammonia and vinegar, but it didn't do any good for her. Anyone else have suggestions I can pass on to her?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This suggestion was in the "Inappropriate Peeing Problems Answered" thread ( http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9563 ) :

Here's a clever way to deter a cat from a place where the cat previously peed, contributed by Kev:

Take a Tea bag, then once used and its cooled, pour a few drops of OLBAS OIL on it. Olbas oil is a herbal remedy ideal for colds and completely natural. Health food shops as well as pharmacies sell it here and its cheap enough.
Then place the Tea bag with this smelling stuff on a small food bag and place it in the vicinity of where the cat has been urinating. They hate the smell and he's given it a wide berth ever since - gone back to the litter tray which is great.

Its solved my problem without the need for chemicals etc which I am all for. The even better part is that the house smells of olbas oil and I am breathing a lot easier too.
Sounds like this might work in this situation. Certainly worth a try!

Laurie

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try a different litter. There are all natural as well.....
You definitely want to figure out why this is happening now, younger the better to correct behavior........

lola lover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am having a very similar problem. Since moving into our new house 6 months ago, my cat Lola has started pooping outside of her litter box. She never had these accidents in our old place. She has still never urinated outside of her box. She will actually go into her box to urinate, and the immediately poop outside the box. I have not changed her litter to a different brand, and we never had a problem with this previously.

We did try moving her litter box into a different room, but the problem has persisted. Since sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s pooping very close to her box, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think the tea bag trick will work since I would have to place it quote close to her litter box.

It used to be that her outside the box accidents only occurred a couple times a week, now she's only making it in her box a couple times a week. I try to cover the spots that she pooped in, but she'll just move to a different part of the room. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lola Lover

I am having a very similar problem. Since moving into our new house 6 months ago, my cat Lola has started pooping outside of her litter box. She never had these accidents in our old place. She has still never urinated outside of her box. She will actually go into her box to urinate, and the immediately poop outside the box. I have not changed her litter to a different brand, and we never had a problem with this previously.

We did try moving her litter box into a different room, but the problem has persisted. Since sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s pooping very close to her box, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think the tea bag trick will work since I would have to place it quote close to her litter box.

It used to be that her outside the box accidents only occurred a couple times a week, now she's only making it in her box a couple times a week. I try to cover the spots that she pooped in, but she'll just move to a different part of the room. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
I would try to litter boxes next to each other, it sounds like she doesn't want to poop where she pees..................
someone should tell her its don't poop where you eat, not pee

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This happened to my friend's cat. He got a second litter box and it solved the problem.
A product I've had luck with for odor removal is Nok-out. You can google it on line. For me, this was the only thing that removed the smell when my cat peed on the sofa.

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cat I was fostering did this for a while....is there any theory to "why" they do this? Just curious. The two litter box solution worked for ours too - we assumed she wanted more "litter room" to place her "business"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! I have passed along the information, and will let you know when I hear back from her. Thanks again.