missing hair - allergy to vaccination shot?

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I'm new to kitties. I have 2 kittens (both sexed incorrectly by the pet adoption place):

Palas - 5 mo old male (not neutered yet but have appt on 2/27 for this)
DeeDee - 9 wk old female

My problem is with Palas. I've had him for 2 mos. When I got him he had a few fleas but the adoption lady told me that they just defleaed him due to a wound on his cheek where he scratched at fleas so much that it bled and he lost hair. That is what she told me. I didn't have DeeDee or any pets at home at the time. The hair loss on his cheek is almost completely covered with hair again.

The 2nd day Palas was home with me, I saw fleas and immediately gave him a flea bath. Then I applied Zodiac Spot On for cats and kittens under 5lbs on the back of his neck. Everything was fine and I haven't given him a shampoo&water bath since then. Last month, I applied the spot on again in case any flea eggs dropped into my carpet.

Two weeks later (this past Friday 2/2/07), I took both kittens to the vet to get them up to date on vaccinations. The vet determined that they were both flealess. He was surprised that there wasn't even any dirt on them. Here are the shots and treatments given to Palas:

Feline Distemper combo Vaccine
Rabies
oral deworming

This morning, I noticed on the back of his neck (but slightly to the left) he is missing a patch of hair the size of a quarter and there's a little blood. It's not steadily flowing blood and it's not really a lot. It doesn't seem to constantly irritate him and he only occassionally scratches at it. Other than that, his behavior hasn't changed. He ate over half his food before I got home from work today which is typical for him. He seems like his usual playful, cheerful self.

I made an appointment with the same vet for Friday morning. But my question is, could this be an allergic reaction to his rabies shot? I believe that was the shot that was given closer to his neck but I'm not sure about the exact spot. I don't see anything in the patch of missing hair itself like a cut or scrape, but I can't really be sure as he gets squirmy when he realizes I'm checkin' out his wound and not just lovin' on him.

When I called the vet, the woman said it might be the Spot On, but this is the 2nd time I've used the spot on and it was 2 weeks ago. It seems strange to me that it would take this long for an allergy to the Spot on to appear.

Is it possible this was caused by one of the vaccinations? It seems oddly coincidental if not. DeeDee has been with us for almost a full month. She did not receive the rabies shot because the vet said she was too young. She has a cold in her eye and I'm treating her with an eye ointment for it. But she doesn't have any missing hair. Hmmm...anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
Liz

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TheCatSite

Others can probably offer more advice, but I'd be inclined to think it was the Spot-on. I would highly highly recommend only using flea meds that you get from your vet. Bad reactions (even death) are common with the over the counter flea stuff.

I think that rabies shots are typically given in the right rear leg area, but maybe someone else can confirm.

tuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
vaccines are bad and do not do what they are purported to do. there are many adverse reactions. the breakdown of the skin is often the first sign. the worst thing you can do is give a combo vaccine as it taxes the immune system doubly or triply or however many they put in there now.

just do some independent research into vaccines.

just use your common sense. you are questioning the vaccines so spend the time.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt the shot would have been given that close to the neck - more like to be given in the shoulder.

I too think it probably is the Spot On (OTC) flea medication. It really is best to get your flea meds (or any meds for that matter) from you vet. It's much safer for your pet.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most over the counter flea medications are actually dangerous for your cat. Flea collars have killed quite a few.
Unfortunately, there just isn't an "FDA" for animals.

This is probably due to the flea medication. I would go to the vet to get Advantage.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I know that zodiac spot on for dogs is FOR dogs and puppies OVER 6 MONTHS
this link is for the older cat spot on
http://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-Flea-Sp...&s=home-garden

Says not under 12 weeks

Please make an appt to see the VET ... as you could have a cross reaction going on ....
Thank you for the welcome. I hope this is a place I can come to for non-judgemental advice since I don't have experience with cats and I'm willing to learn.

Sharky, I appreciate your zealousness about pet health, but please read my original post before you respond. Before I posted, made an appointment to see the vet about this for the day after tomorrow, and I stated this in my original post. I also stated that he is approx 21 wks old (2 mos ago at first use he was 14 wks old) so I'm not sure why you're telling me this. I didn't ask what to do about this, I asked if anyone had experience with this same situation. Thanks, I know to see a vet.

Thank you for all the replies and shared experiences. I gather that this probably is an allergic reaction to the spot on even though the box instructions match my cat's profile. I don't believe I have fleas in my home. Little DeeDee (didn't use spot on on her) doesn't have fleas either so I will just stop using the product. I was really just doing it as a precautionary measure since they both had fleas when they got home until their welcome home flea baths. The pet rescue, PAK, that I got them from apparently didn't clean them unless it was medically required like the fleas in Palas's wound. they were both quite dirty when I got them although I was given papers saying they were given the FVRCPP combo vaccines before I adopted them.

So now how to go about removing the product from his fur? I didn't want to give either of them shampoo & water baths anymore unless required since I read it is bad for their skin. But do you think I should go ahead and bathe him ASAP to get the spot on off? Or do you think the baby wipes or pet wipes will do it?

Thanks,
Liz

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I gave the info due to just seeing the NEW DOG zodiac stating 6 months not 12 weeks... Since you obviously dont need my help I will allow someone you may no belittle to answer your question...

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course we will still be going to the vet to see if (s)he thinks it might be something else, I should add lest someone think I just don't want to take them to the vet.

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sharky, I did not mean to be rude. However, I did already supply that exact information. Please don't take that to mean I wouldn't consider your advice as I am here because I want to know how experienced cat owners care for their cats and what they think. I'm sure you have a wealth of experience that I could benefit from. But yes, I did read the label and of course I am going to the vet.

At this time I have wiped down Palas with baby wipes (cleaning with wipes was suggested for cleaning by the pet rescue worker I adopted him from at the time of adoption) but I don't know if that is enough or if he should get a full wet bath.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Liz, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and bathe him just in case the baby wipes missed any residual oil from the spot on.

Some of the reactions my cats have experienced over the years, is either a knot where in the injection was given or a soreness in the leg. I've not had a reaction of hair loss though. I hope that helps!

Oh and Welcome to TCS!

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Unfortunately, there just isn't an "FDA" for animals.
Um. Yeah there is, and animal products have to pass the same rigorous tests that human drugs to. And it's the same FDA. Unfortunately, even with approved products, sometimes you get unexpected reactions.

kitte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmm.. I've not ever had any adverse reactions showing in any of the cats I've used an over the counter flea treatment on, of course, I always thoroughly read the back of the packets before I decide which to purchase... and I'm in Australia, and previously in New Zealand, so the products may be a lot different...

I'd never "not" vaccinate an animal, (even after this most recent event if you check the 'my baby is not sick yet she's not well' thread.. but if you do some research, you'll see that there is loads of debate on how often to vaccinate and what to vaccinate. Personally I do three yearly vacc's for some and yearly for others based on the research. (also pertinent to your location the vacc's may be different)... oh, and find some sites online regarding the vaccinations you mentioned, there are loads all over the world, and take a read of the reactions lists, see if his bald patch matches...

and did you happen to see where the injection took place? my vets usually do a sub-cut (under the skin) for the combo nearly between the shoulders, and when I've done them myself (as a vet-nurse a very long time ago), I've lifted the skin fairly high off the shoulder as if I was testing for dehydration and then jabbed enough to get the needle through the skin and pushed the syringe in...

sorry to be that graphic..

Umm.. try seeing if the maker of the anti-flea product has a website? and if they don't supply a list or generalisation of the known reactions, send them an email via their website, see if they have heard of anything like that before - or even email a completely different vet clinic for advice...

of course, it may be that Palas has 'cleaned' a little too thoroughly on that area after flea treatment if that spot is in roughly the same area you applied it to, I had one cat I caught pulling out tufts of her own hair in the places at shoulder and back of neck that I'd put the Spot On treatment onto...

and another couple of my darlings have given themselves hairballs from constant cleaning of the areas (without pulling out fur)

then again, I do think that two weeks is a very long time for a reaction to the flea treatment to happen - unless there was maybe an itchy spot that Palas just had to 'treat' himself by pulling the fur out when you weren't watching.... cats can be crafty like that lol

good luck at the vet!

ps: there's a chance that DeeDee may have cleaned Palas too thoroughly too... for example, when I had Lone and Tonto speyed (both females and they started heat at roughly same time 15.5 years ago) Tonto was trying to help Lone clean and managed to pull all of Lone's stitches out...

tuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and if after you do everything everybody says to do and you still have skin issues with your little one will you then think about vaccines as a possible cause?

question: if you think animals need vaccinations and yearly at that...what is the immune system for? and..how do you think they've/we've survived all this time without them?

here's the scam: every organism has it's natural ecological rise and decline. that's the way life goes, humans will not be around forever. smallpox and polio were well into their natural decline when at the tail end of it, vaccines came along. the pharmacorporations only showed you that end portion of the graph making you think that it was vaccines that initiated the decline...smallpox and polio would have petered out on their own, vaccines or not. vaccines are incidental not integral. you need to see the entire graph to get the real story not just a portion. we've all been duped.

and we all vaccinate yearly making the pharmacorps filthy rich based on a lie!

but the major medical universities are now owned by the pharmacorps so vets really only know what they are taught...again...use your common sense...we have immune systems and what in essence you are really doing by vaccinating is introducing the very organism you are afraid of directly into your pet! that's why a lot of animals become aggressive after the rabies vaccine...you've given them a low level rabies infection...isn't that what a vaccine is???? think about it! please...
no i'm fine, really

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuna

and if after you do everything everybody says to do and you still have skin issues with your little one will you then think about vaccines as a possible cause?

question: if you think animals need vaccinations and yearly at that...what is the immune system for? and..how do you think they've/we've survived all this time without them?

here's the scam: every organism has it's natural ecological rise and decline. that's the way life goes, humans will not be around forever. smallpox and polio were well into their natural decline when at the tail end of it, vaccines came along. the pharmacorporations only showed you that end portion of the graph making you think that it was vaccines that initiated the decline...smallpox and polio would have petered out on their own, vaccines or not. vaccines are incidental not integral. you need to see the entire graph to get the real story not just a portion. we've all been duped.

and we all vaccinate yearly making the pharmacorps filthy rich based on a lie!

if you knew what was really in the vaccines you would slap your vet asking 'why? why would you do that to us?' and children?

but the major medical universities are now owned by the pharmacorps so vets really only know what they are taught...again...use your common sense...we have immune systems and what in essence you are really doing by vaccinating is introducing the very organism you are afraid of directly into your pet! that's why a lot of animals become aggressive after the rabies vaccine...you've given them a low level rabies infection...isn't that what a vaccine is???? think about it! please...
no i'm fine, really
You are grossly misinformed. There are many blatantly false statements in this post that lead me to believe you need to brush up on your biology and vaccinology as well as your knowledge of how universities and corporations work. Perhaps you need to do this before you make such bold accusations.

tuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
please mermaid, the onus is on you to prove me wrong...go ahead...
how about starting with ...what are immune systems for?

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will not get into a pissing match with you about this, and I do not have the time to explain infectious disease and immune response to it. I have a job here, perhaps I'll login later and try and address your question. But I do not accept the responsibility for educating you, that onus is on YOU.

I have an advanced education and 20 years experience in biological sciences. Do you?

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's the Spot On almost certainly. My dog reacted to a spot flea treatment and it took a couple of weeks to have the hair loss. It makes a "chemical burn" first and then it peels away, leaving it hairless and raw. Poor babies.

tuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mermaid

But I do not accept the responsibility for educating you, that onus is on YOU.

I have an advanced education and 20 years experience in biological sciences. Do you?
i no longer judge myself or my knowledge in accordance with 'mainstream education' as it is not so much a body of knowledge from which to draw as it is an indoctrination into the way others think. i compound my knowledge through various sources around me and come to my own conclusions in my own time. of which this is one...i believe in creative, dynamic medicine...not just adhering to a practice because it is the way things have always been done. perhaps if we were all extremely healthy and live to 200 years young i'd think our methods need no improving but is that how it is?

i'm happy you're angry with what i've said mermaid. you should be. we all should be. that shows that you are a good person with a good heart and you want to believe what you are told and what you are taught. that is not a bad thing but an admirable one. unfortunately, that is not the way things are...things are not always as they seem...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please keep the tone down folks... lets all play nice and get back to the scheduled program