Lysine and 6 week old

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am fostering six 5-6 week old kittens and they are all sneezing and I know I need to give them some lysine to try to nip this in the bud. I have 500 mg tablets and need to know what the right dosage for them would be they are all around 1 1/2 pounds. I didnt know if there was a chart like bottle feeding where it is by weight or if you just give the same dosage no matter what the size and weight.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the vet ... or ask this in the preg and kitten forum( you may get a faster answer ...

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I rescue/foster also & when battling those nasty sneezes w/little ones:

500mg. L-lysine
1000mg Vit C
CS (colloidal silver) either in bottle/syringed/or directly in water

Are these bottle feeds or eating on their own?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are eating on their own I tried giving them lysine in some tuna yesterday but some of them were uninterested how would you suggest i give it to them and would you give them 500 mgs at once in a day or break it up into two times a day? I didn't know you could give them that much since they are so little and young

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I have it straight, you have 6 little ones...I sprinkle on top of their food & mix it in so they can't detect it.
500mg should be fine once per day...not broken-up into two-three feedings. Just read this regarding L-lysine:

The only issue w/ Lysine is that Lysine and arginine compete in the body and since cats have a hi arg reqmt, the amt of Lysine is very imp.

Among other things, L-Arginine is supposed to help keep blood vessels including those in the eyes, in good shape so if u supplement w/ Lysine, it might interfere w/ arginine levels.

Raw diets contain sufficient arginine but most commercial diets fall short on meat so might be lacking in arginine so you should be ok adding conservative amts of Lysine.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by leesali

I rescue/foster also & when battling those nasty sneezes w/little ones:

500mg. L-lysine
1000mg Vit C
CS (colloidal silver) either in bottle/syringed/or directly in water
Wow - that seems really high for a 1-1/2 pound kitten! My vet recommended a 500mg maintenance dose for a 10 pound adult cat and double it when their herpes flares up. It's really OK to dose that high for a kitten that small?

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Double-checking myself on dosage for L-lysine and keep finding 500mg. for an adult -- 250mg. for kittens. Unfortunately, can't seem to find a weight that it is based on...what if you have 5 to 6 kittens?
I can only go by what I have been doing & have seen good results with...my adults get 1000mg. and the little ones get 500mg. per day.
The only negative reaction I have found is what I have already posted...in that L-lysine seems to compete w/L-Arginine which is important in a feline's diet.